• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • broadband dongle for a week……
  • sadexpunk

Down sarf at the mo with no wifi at hotel. Just wondered what my options are for a bit of evening browsing. Can i just go in a shop and buy a dongle that’ll last me a week? Or is it all about contracts and I’d have to have one posted to me.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks

allthepies
    Free Member

Can’t set your phone up as a wifi hotspot for some tethering akshun ?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You can walk into tescos and buy one. iPhone tethering works (if you have an iPhone)

sadexpunk

Tetherings not an option with my giffgaff goody bag which is a shame.

I’ll try tescos then thanks. How much is it likely to cost me?

bearnecessities

Isn’t it cheaper to use/exceed your data allowance (assuming that’s what you’re using to access at the mo?)..

Hope you’re enjoying your break by the way 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How does gifgaf know your tethering.?

sadexpunk

Thanks mate 🙂

Yeah I can access it on my phone but its slow and ickle 🙂
    I’d prefer a bit of laptop surfing really tho, bit faster and got passwords set up on some sites that I’ve forgotten

Cheers

Edit: not sure how giffgaff do it, maybe data patterns? But they do, and then block sims.

maccruiskeen

at where-ever-it-is you are going to be doing your evening browsing ask your neighbours who’s phones are getting the best reception (especially for 3g) then get a dingledangle on that network. Some of the PAYG ones in the supermarket will come with a months credit already on them

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How does gifgaf know your tethering.?

Dunno but Three can tell and they won’t let it work unless you pay for it. It’s only £5 month though

smartmonkey
    Free Member

If it’s just for a week, loads of coffee shops have free Wifi, If you’ve signed up for a clubcard my local Tescos even has free wifi. And if all else fails MacDonalds also has free wifi.
    HTH
    SM

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cheapest dongle with a PAYG sim, I had one for work trips. This was back when data plans on phones were piss poor though.

DezB
    Free Member

I can lend you one 🙂 Where darn sarf?

sadexpunk

Dez, I’m near torquay thanks 🙂

I’ve just sussed my giffgaff sim DOES allow tethering but only to a data limit of 1Gb for the whole month. How much data would you guess half hour surfing on a laptop would use? Just this site, Facebook etc, no downloads or YouTube…….

Thanks

Oh and is that defo that 3 don’t allow it as that’s what my wife’s on?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

STW used to be listed on oranges “Adult Content” must unlock list…

1Gb should do OK for a few days. Can you get a data add on?

Just remember to turn off updates and any syncing that goes on, got through 4gb in 3 days away with work when dropbox and google drive went mad…

Cougar

How much data would you guess half hour surfing on a laptop would use?

Considerably less if you disable images in your browser.

Change hotels?

jon1973
    Free Member

Dunno but Three can tell and they won’t let it work unless you pay for it. It’s only £5 month

That’s interesting. Is that even on all-you-can-eat data packages?

My Voda contract expires next month. They don’t stop you teathering, and I assumed that other networks were the same. Seems a bit cheecky to charge an extra £5 (£60 pa). Recently got a new WiFi tablet, so this is going to be important. I was tempted with Three as well.

Which other neworks allow it at no extra cost?

sbob
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Change hotels?

😆

Buy a book.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘broadband dongle for a week……’ is closed to new replies.