• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Broadband cost and speeds
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

What you got, and how much do you pay and is there a d/l limit?

Here I pay 80 AuD for ADSL2+ and on a good day can get 12mb. No limits.

Rob_S
    Free Member

Good old BT, unlimited.

Alphabet

BT Unlimited. £16 per month. 1.5Mb download, 0.35Mb upload. I wish we could get more.

spooky_b329

BT, employee benefit so cheap, green eyed envy as just across the street they are enjoying close to 80mb/s compared to my 8mb/s.

I am pushing for 300mb fibre on-demand :d

Rob_S
    Free Member

FTTC not arrived on your street yet then Spooky?

spooky_b329

No, most of my estate is fed off one cab which has been upgraded to FTTC, but half of my street and a few other little bits are fed off a second cab and this presumably has been deemed uneconomical at present. A house opposite, and those about 5 doors down are fed off the enabled cab but not me! Sulk!

Its a bit of a poke in the eye as I have cabled other areas for FTTC. Fibre on demand is normally only offered when your cab is enabled for FTTC but there is no reason that they can’t feed me from the enabled cab, in fact it may be cheaper for the company to do fibre on demand to everyone rather than enable the existing cab seeing as it only serves a small number of users!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

between 1 & 6mb depending on how shonky the wires are and if the wind is blowing or it’s school holidays or the teenagers next door’s parents are out.

Pay 75AU$ for 200gb DL will be about the same for 100mb connection if the fibre gets up here need to pay a bit more for the 500gb DL if we want to stream everything.

Drac

BT here too switched last month for the unlimited they offer as the eldest is using a lot of bandwidth and I help with watching Sky on demand. Did it just in time as last month usage was 61gb with BT which is impressive as it was the 15th of the month that it became live.

The speed has improved too which is great, we’re due to Fibre from October so in about 6 months I hope to be on that.

Forgot the how much.

Currently I think it’s £25 but thanks to a wife who likes to talk I had an extra £18 in phone calls to pay for last month, so last night I added free evening and weekend calls for £2 per month.

woody2000

I actually get about 73meg down, but I’m using a powerline adapter at the moment to get the connection from modem upstairs to wireless router downstairs which really nobbles the speed. Must get a cable run!

I’m plusnet fttc, £19.99 a month

zokes
    Free Member

But… Our router is on its last legs. I used to get >20 Mbps on the same line. $100/month, 200 GB limit. Broadband in Oz is expensive.

On the other hand, here’s what my 4G dongle delivers 😯

And that’s only with three bars of signal! $40 per month for 5 GB

tinribz
    Free Member

£35/m 200Gb limit which the kids will hit >90% of regularly. With Pissnet, BT & Sky was 8mb and internet stops working weekends and evenings, Zen stays full whack 31 (24/7).

zokes
    Free Member

And this is 3G tethered with iPhone 4S…

So in answer to an earlier thread, 4G is definitely worth it!

Edukator
    Free Member

35e/month with fixed phone and lots of TV channels. It’s slowed down over the years. 🙁

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You must live over east and in a jig city zones? 4g worth it for you but living 60km from Perth, no chance for me 🙁

footflaps

Interesting, I’m on Virgin Media and using the Ookla speed test if I select a server hosted by Virgin I get close to the 20 Mb/s I’m paying for, but pick a 3rd party one and I get only 3 Mb/s.

I’m guessing Virgin are cheating and prioritising traffic to their test servers to make you think you’re getting what you pay for.

I’m paying £25/month for 20 Mb/s on Virgin cable.

zokes
    Free Member

You must live over east and in a jig city zones? 4g worth it for you but living 60km from Perth, no chance for me

Yeah, not far from Adelaide CBD. But… I’m noticing getting 4G in all sorts of places when I’ve been travelling, and I know it’s now in quite a few of the towns in the hills. I guess more will be rolled out now the analogue TV spectrum’s been freed up

jon1973
    Free Member

I pay £40 something a month, for the TV, phone and broadband package.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

very happy with mine – £40 including tv & phone

scotroutes

It’s part of a package with TV and phone so I’m not even sure how much it costs!

About to reduce significantly (maybe 6.5 Mbps) * gulp! *

br
    Free Member

Since it usually depends where you live, a comparison is pretty irrelevant.

At our old house we had cable and 100MB. New house is at the end of a BT line and has 4.8MB

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Broadband cost and speeds’ is closed to new replies.