Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Broadband cables what where who how
  • Leku
    Free Member

I have a wireless hub downstairs but I would like to plug my iMac direct to it when working from home to help speed up the connection.

Looking for a 20m cable but what/where should I be looking for/at. Dont mind spending a bit for a quality cable.

Cheers.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

cat5 cable

quality doesn’t matter. i doubt it will do anything to speed up a connection to broadband though

Leku
    Free Member

My airport keeps dipping in and out of connection so I’m hoping it will cure that at least.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If by speed, you mean the speed between you and a work computer (or you and sites on the internet), it shouldn’t speed it up much – the broadband connection is going to be the slowest link (unless your wireless is buggered).

The only thing it might speed up is the connection between your iMac and any other computers that are connected with wires to the hub.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

Have you tried changing the channel that your airport is using? It could well be that a neighbour has one on the same channel and that is interfering – try setting the channel to 1 or 11.

Also worth looking and seeing if there is a power setting on the hub settings – some hubs come set at medium power.

Joe

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ebay

we wired up our entire house (80m of cabeling) for less than PCworld wanted for 10m of extension cable.

Leku
    Free Member

Joe,

Done that (or rather Matt the mac man did).

Surly a cable link from my computer to the modem will be faster than the wireless link?

Spongebob
    Free Member

My airport keeps dipping in and out of connection so I’m hoping it will cure that at least.

Don’t bank on it!

Flaky firmware could be causing the router to drop out, wifi or hard wired.

Try a different wifi router first.

Cabling is sensible. Wifi has it’s limitations.

Expect HD A/V streaming technology to become popular and affordable in the not too distant future. For this you will be way better off with proper hardwired infrastructure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Broadband cables what where who how’ is closed to new replies.