Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Broadband accelerators
  • molgrips
    Free Member

BT offer some kind of filter that reduces noise and interference on your phone line. Seems reasonable enough to me, and it’s only £8.99 online.

Anyone used one?

And can you get them in the shops?

Otherwise, what else can I do? 0.9mbps is annoying.

Cougar

It’s a waste of money, all the iPlate does is disconnect the (unused in modern systems) ringer wire. You can do that yourself for free in about 30 seconds; take the faceplate off and pull the orange wire(s) out of the back of it.

If you want a faceplate, I can recommend this one instead. The other big thing you can do is only use the master socket and disconnect any extensions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. the master socket is downstairs in the hallway.. although having said that I could maybe put the router in the hallway on the wall or something.. hmm…

I have already disconnected the bell wire – no change.

We have a burglar alarm connected to the phone line, no idea if it has a broadband filter on it or not.

We are going to ditch Sky and go for online services instead, see, but the BB is barely fast enough to watch anything.

Cougar

As a proof of concept, you could temporarily plug directly into the test socket and see what speed it trains at?

If your home wiring is made of wet string, changing providers ain’t going to help.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually I seem to remember I tried it in the hallway. I’m going to disconnect the alarm, see if that helps.

When I said ditch Sky btw I meant ditch Sky TV, and sign up for netflix or whatever instead. Which requires better broadband 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Test socket info
    http://www.idnet.net/support/guides/basics/testsocket.jsp

Alarm would need to be filtered, so if not, could be the problem.

Even once fixed, your ISP could be applying a slower profile to your account, limiting your speeds, so once all wiring checked and up to scratch, it’s worth raising a support request to get a line test.

Also check your modem is ADSL 2+. Our line was upgraded but my old modem couldn’t keep up.

I did this recently and went form 2 to 14MB.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’m not technical so don’t understand any of this but:

Recently, my old Netgear modem/router died.

I replaced it with a DrayTek Vigor 120 modem, plus a wireless router (AirPort Extreme, but that’s irrelevant).

My wired internet speed suddenly jumped up to 14 mbps (or whatever the unit is), from 0.5 the last time I ran the test. I was averaging about 3, I think, at best.

So I don’t know about this cleaner thing but I suppose the first thing is to check your modem. I guess it’s this ADSL2+ compatibility that’s important, going by the post above. Was news to me.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Alarms MUST go through a filter otherwise it drops the connection. Dropping connections = slower speeds.
    Sort the alarm out and you’ll sort your speed. Might require an ISP reset if the speed doesn’t pick up over 48 hours.
    Run a line check on samknows to get an idea of what speeds your line can support and how far you are from the exchange.

Cougar

Might require an ISP reset

Specifically, you need to ask them to re-run DLM on your line after sorting your home wiring.

Good luck getting that past Sky front line and up to CST. It’d be prudent to be connected to the test socket before you call, or you’ll probably get fobbed off.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know I’m a long way from the exchange, and samknows suggests (along with others) that I should be able to get between 1.0 and 2.5, and BT reckon up to 4.5

Connection doesn’t really drop, it’s pretty stable and consistent. Current provider is Orange, and I have been on the phone to them before.

Router is a Belkin Wireless N+ one from a couple of years ago.

We used to get about 1.5mbps a year or so ago, btw.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Broadband accelerators’ is closed to new replies.