Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brittany camp site recs?
  • boxelder

Heading there with three young kids in July/Aug.
    Any decent recommendations between Le Havre and st Nazaire?

Prefer to avoid the big glitzy Eurocamp style ones if possible.

Thanks

rudebwoy
    Free Member

stick to the Municipal sites–run by the local councils, they are clean, well run and cheap–plenty of room between ‘pitches’–thats where the french go– and others of a discerning nature….no need to book–just turn up, although they can get busy in those months, in the more popular areas–

boxelder

Thanks rudebwoy – that’s what I normally do, but they can be a bit variable and mrs likes to book in advance.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

ok– we stayed on a cracking site in Skaer– its a near Quimper– but inland–a breton cultural school/centre in the village–a disused railway that is now a cycle track runs through it–it was a very chilled place–easy enough to get to the coast–which is often overcrowded..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@boxelder excuse nitpicking but between LeHavre and St Nazaire isn’t Brittany, it’s a combination of Normandy and Loire-Atlantique, Brittany is further west.

That being said it depends upon your schedule and whether you want a campsite directly between the two. The coast along from Le Havre is very nice, popular beach resorts of Trouville and Deauville (probably already booked up ?). You have the D-Day beaches further West but probably too far out of the way (more easily accessed via Caen). Inland you have the Calvados region with the traditional Normandy houses some very nice countryside (we did a marked driving tour of Suisse Normandy recently – lots of marked mtb routes too by the way). I don’t recall much of interest from there until the Loire itself, the beach resort of La Baule is popular (all a bit too built up for me). If you have time for a detour and want to see a little of Brittany you might consider the Gulf du Morbihan which is very nice.

carlosg
    Free Member

Nice campsite and surrounding area at Thury-Harcourt(Camping de La Vallée du Traspy) , we found it on our first tour of Normandy.
    http://www.camping-lepointdevue.fr/ this one in Mur de Bretagne is also lovely.

as above we’ve used the municipal campsites a lot.

boxelder

@boxelder excuse nitpicking but between LeHavre and St Nazaire isn’t Brittany

Yes, just realised that, and will be keeping north of Quimper.
    Decided to sail to Cherbourg, tour round coast to Quimper then back inland – lakes, forest etc and return via chunnel.
    Any other sites rec welcomed – especially on the sticky out Brittany/Brest bit.

carlosq – that point de vue spot was on the definite list – good to have a positive, ta.

carlosg
    Free Member

good to have a positive, ta.

the surrounding area is beautiful just try not to be there in a major thunderstorm , I’m not afraid to say I was babbing myself .There were so many strikes on the tree’s in the campsite it was like daylight between 12-3am. We woke to a scene of devastation and thousands of dead bright green lizards.

I can also reccomend Camping Le Lac in Huelgoat , the local wood is littered with huge mossy boulders one of which(la roche tremblante) can be rocked if pushed in the correct place.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@boxelder – I know the “sticky out bit” quite well especially the coast as I’ve spent a lot of time sailing there. It gets very busy on the coast / pretty harbours in July/Aug but much quieter inland. Depends what you are looking for with the kids really, Mont St Michelle and St Malo are worth a stopover, rugged coast of Cote d’Amour with some pretty harbours as you go further West it’s gets quieter, around Morlaix and the harbour/town itself is interesting as it sits in a gorge. Inland near Brest is lovely rural with hills/views. Quimper has a nice Cathedral and is a pleasant town, nearby you have harbours of Benodet (with beach) and Concarneau (historic small castle guarding the port), back further East there is Carnac with nice beaches (very popular with French families). You can get ferries to Belle Isle which is very nice (perhaps leave car and do a day trip/rent bikes).

@carlosg’s recommendation of Thuy sits on the Suisse Normany tour route I mentioned

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brittany camp site recs?’ is closed to new replies.