Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • British Touring Car Championship
  • SaxonRider

Anyone ever been to a race? If so, is it a good day out for a family?

I am tempted by the Truxton race in May.

thomthumb
    Free Member

great day out. Particulary if you can get a pit pass.

Thruxton is mostly outside – so it can be cold (maybe not may).

dunno who big the family are but it can also be a bit of walking.

SaxonRider

thomthumb, have you been to other tracks? Are there any you prefer?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mostly outside? There are inside bits?

Northwind

Not been for years but it used to be awesome, was pretty obvious that it was basically an outreach thing to keep mad axe murderers off the street.

james239
    Free Member

I go to thruxton most years. Its an exposed track, so its usually cold even if its a warm day!

Great day out. Pits are free during qualifying, but gotta pay on race day.

Drivers are all really nice and up for a chat if you go into the oits, especially those in the support classes who arent being rushed around everywhere between races.

be prepared to queue for hours to get out of the car park though, kts a horrendous bottle neck getting out of the field!

oliverracing

Gone to the donnington round for the past few years (I cycle to avoid the queues), good day out and almost guaranteed to to see some action (Ginetta juniors are particularly interesting)!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I used to go quite a bit when I was younger (used to get free tickets 🙂 )
    Best tracks for viewing are Brandshatch Indy circuit and Rockingham where you can see almost all the circuit
    Always take some proper clothes as most circuits don’t have many places to get out of the weather

survivor

Took my nephew (age 7) to the croft round last year and we had a great day. Barely 5 minutes goes without some sort of race on the track. Not sure if it’s just Croft but the rear of the pits was accesible so you could still get right next to the cars and then hearded out the way as they make their way to the track. Suprised me how loud they are!

We arrived a ittle late and then a bit early to avoid traffic which worked out well.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I always go to my local event at Oulton Park which is a good day out for all, plenty going on , lots of races and pit walk about in the morning . Croft is also a favourite of mine. All in all I’d recommend it!

m0rk
    Free Member

Thruxton has fairly limited trackside access, with most of the track off limits to spectators

I much prefer Silverstone (despite it being an extra hours drive for me) – plus if the sprogs are into F1 at all, it has a certain appeal.

legend
    Free Member

Best tracks for viewing are Brandshatch Indy circuit and Rockingham where you can see almost all the circuit

and Knockhill, probably not handy for most though.

We used to get our tickets from Will Hoy (RIP :() as he was mates with my dad [/minorclaimtofame]

Stopped going after the arse fell out of the championship in the early thousands, planning on heading back now though!

Candodavid
    Free Member

Depending on your location will dictate where to go to?
    Oulton Park is about the one of the best circuits in the UK for racing IMO, it has the best of everything.
    The only improver would be Cadwell Park, but thats really for bike racing

milky1980
    Free Member

Used to go to loads of races about 10 years ago, sadly the cost means I only get to one or two a year now. Thruxton is a good circuit to watch, especially at the first chicane. It’s just not the best for seeing a lot of the circuit although I haven’t been there for a few years! I always try and get to Brands Hatch once a year though (do they still go twice a year there?) as it’s my favourite circuit for viewing anything, despite it being a 3 hour drive each way for me! The dive through Paddock, up Pilgrims and into Druid’s always produces good close action for most formulae. BTCC, DTM, classic F1’s, all good there. The trucks are just mental! Plenty of places to shelter if it’s windy, the inside of Druid’s is handy.
    There’s usually a decent amount of stuff going on between races at the MSV circuits (Thruxton isn’t one) to keep people entertained if one of the party isn’t a big motorsport fan. Can be grim in the wet though, you see the die-hard fans then.

Might try and get to Rockingham this year as I’ve heard it’s good viewing.

velomanic
    Free Member

I spent many seasons working in BTCC / BSB and for watching the action on track, Oulton Park and Brands Hatch (plus Cadwell Park for BSB) were always very good and offer decent spectator facilities. Plenty of trees to hide under at Oulton Park if the weather’s not behaving. Thruxton is a very fast circuit and a lot of the action happens at the Club Chicane (the final section before the start/finish straight) so worth getting a spot there for at least one race.

timber

Especially if there are plenty of support races, Clios are crazy, some bold moves in the Ginettas and the Porsche GT’s travel so close.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘British Touring Car Championship’ is closed to new replies.