Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • British Roads
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Drove back from Verbier yesterday and am wondering a few things.

Why are British drivers and roads $hit! mile after mile on the peage and lane discipline was fine, road surface was lovely. The hit the UK and drivers stuck in lanes 2 and 3 and on the M25 4 when they could easily have moved over.

Just thinking the level of congestion on British roads and a huge part is simply the crap driving! As for the road surface! Even new British roads are generally crap!

Then the “experience” of service stations! What is it that makes UK ones so much more unpleasant!

Is it most UK drivers know no better so no incentive, that the UK is obviously the best place in the world and foreigners haven’t got a clue so nothing to teach us???? other???

Mind you finding the money to pay for better roads, the outcry from the Mail if they even think about tolls.

somouk
    Free Member

You’re driving during the school holidays, there is a massive drop in standards during the holidays.

I do a lot of miles a year and generally speaking during the working week most are well behaved and the roads flow better. During the holidays morning traffic is lighter but the roads clog up pretty quickly during the day.

Our roads are a shocking standard but I have seen some improvements, going to take years before all the major routes are up to european standards though.

km79
    Free Member

As for the road surface! Even new British roads are generally crap!

Because the operating companies that look after the roads get away with producing shite time and time again but are better than the agency responsible for the roads when arguing over contract interpretations etc.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Paying for the road use. Compare the M6 Toll to the M6.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yep. Driving through France and really was a surprising pleasant experience. Come back, out the tunnel and it’s dog eat dog with everyone stressed and aggressive, road surfaces a wreck, pot holes everywhere, roadworks everywhere, jams. And this wasn’t school holidays.

Same driving in the US on the west coast. Relaxed, wide open roads, stick the car on cruise and chill, or driving through town/city roads everyone seems to crawl along at 20mph and yet it doesn’t seem slow at all and quite organised. Junctions are logical. No (or rarely found) roundabouts. Instead of mini-roundabouts with confusion who’s going first, the 2/3/4-way stop system works perfectly.

Again, return the UK and I suddenly switch to aggressive defensive mode.

somouk
    Free Member

Paying for the road use. Compare the M6 Toll to the M6.

I dont think there is much difference in the quality of the road now that the M6 sections have been resurfaced.

The biggest difference is lack of congestion due to the toll.

It’s also a failing business as it’s too expensive and people won’t pay it generally, i was hoping the government would take it on and make it free but that’s unlikely to happen.

The new link road from the M54 on to the toll will help boost business hopefully.

andytherocketeer

Is it most UK drivers know no better so no incentive

that I guess

the services that stink of macdonald’s/bk are depressing.

still, it’s much cheaper for a slash than a German services, even after cashing in the voucher.

Belgium has a road surface (E40 between Brussels and Liege) that makes UK look smoooooth.

MoreCashThanDash

First time driving in France this month.

In general, road surfaces are better, especially A roads, but country lanes vary. Lane discipline is much better and the speed limits make driving much more relaxing.

It’s the space and lack of congestion that got me though. France is 10 times bigger iirc, and away from big cities, the traffic seemed to be spread out over that extra space.

epicsteve
    Free Member

France is generally very good for driving in – barring the cost of the toll roads. Belgium and Holland are worse than the UK and Germany is similarish.

jekkyl

just drive in Sheffield for a period of time then the roads around the rest of the Uk will seem fantastic.

bob_summers

I pay 80eur each way in tolls from calais to sw France so to be able to have a lunchtime picnic without getting a parking ticket is kind of the least I’d expect!

Local Basque toll motorway between San Sebastian and Bilbao would be known as a twisty A road by British standards.

footflaps

on the peage …., road surface was lovely.

Private road in good condition shocker….

surfer
    Free Member

It’s the space and lack of congestion that got me though. France is 10 times bigger iirc, and away from big cities, the traffic seemed to be spread out over that extra space.

This.

Standards of driving are equally bad in both places.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

And yet our fatality rate per 100k inhabitants is just a little over half that of France…

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/vademecum_2015.pdf

cheers_drive

French paege roads are not a fair comparison:
    -They are toll roads so have more investment to keep them maintained.
    -Much fewer HGVs and lower volume of traffic which helps with lane discipline.

But I agree the state of some roads in the UK is shocking and the services are criminal.

bob_summers

yet our fatality rate per 100k inhabitants is just a little over half that of France.

UK drivers kill a lot more pedestrians too, according to the link.

atlaz
    Free Member

You’re driving during the school holidays, there is a massive drop in standards during the holidays.

It’s the holidays over here in Euroland too 😉

France is generally very good for driving in – barring the cost of the toll roads. Belgium and Holland are worse than the UK and Germany is similarish.

The Belgians at least have lane discipline even if they do drive like dicks. Also, the French drive as badly as everyone as soon as they leave their ticketing-prone police behind.

mrmo
    Free Member

And yet our fatality rate per 100k inhabitants is just a little over half that of France…

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/vademecum_2015.pdf

I wondered when they might crop up.

Question, If you drive vulnerable road users from the roads, ie bikes, kids, horses, etc. would you expect fatalities to go up or down? So is the “safety” of British roads true or simply because no one who is likely to get killed goes anywhere near them?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it’s the combination of the number of HGVs + unfriendly car drivers not letting people out that means 95% of the time the only thing in lane 1 is an HGV (or white van following one at 2 feet presumably to save petrol money).

I, thankfully, rarely have to go to service stations but I can’t say they bother me too much, bland and basic sure but I’m never planning to stay long anyway. A captive audience/limited competition probably means they get away with not having to bother much. The worst thing I find about them is the screaming kids or arguing parents anyway.

mrmo
    Free Member

The other thing i noted, i saw a few cars that i had seen in France with decent lane discipline go to sh** as soon as they hit the M20!.

twisty

Peoples lane dicipline appears to go get a lot worse when there are more than 3 lanes. On quiet roads it does allow a fun game to be played to help pass the time, see how many times you can circle round a lane hogger before they eventually pull into the nearside lane.

redstripe
    Free Member

Getting crap where we are in rural Hampshire / Dorset , shit potholed roads are pretty much the norm. The contractor does quick fix fills which last no time, I guess so they can keep coming back and getting paid. I think a combination of uncut trees and hedges sticking out and broken up road edges makes everyone cut corners and tend to drive down the middle of the road, leading to many near misses and busted wing mirrors. Made worse by either old people dawdling or nutters driving way too fast on the other extreme. France is great on the other hand.

dragon
    Free Member

Driving around Nice is horrendous easily comparable to say around Manchester.

Also plenty of decent UK service stations albeit and some rubbish French ones.

Honestly I don’t think there is much difference between the countries apart France being bigger hence traffic density in places is lower.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

UK drivers kill a lot more pedestrians too, according to the link.

It doesn’t say that at all. It does say that UK pedestrian deaths are a higher percentage of all road deaths than in (frinstance) France.

Do the Maths:

UK pedestrian deaths, 23% of 26 = 5.98 ped deaths per 100k
    France ped deaths, 14% of 53 = 7.42 ped deaths per 100k.

So fewer…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Drove back from France yesterday too, ‘only’ South Picardy this time, but OPs hardly alone, I think everyone who’s ever driven the French Autoroutes has though the same thing.

It’s not that there’s somehow better than us, there’s a couple of reasons.

France has a slightly larger population than the UK, but they have nearly 3 times the landmass and roughly 3 times the total length of road, and roughly 4 times the length of motorway.

Plus their population is (Paris aside) generally less centralised, most of the bits of France I’ve been too remind me of North Wales, typically smallish towns, spaced apart by largish areas of rural areas linked by decent wide, A-roads (or N road I think they are in France).

Their motorway are very expensively tolled meaning that there’s an economic incentive to restrict their use to the intercity transport, whereas in the UK they get used as city relief roads. Can’t speak for a lot of the UK, but the M4 especially is used a lot to get from one side of a city/town to the other, they were never really designed for that.

Whenever I’ve found myself on a quiet but of UK motorway (for the life of me I can’t remember when that was now) standards are pretty good, you still see the odd middle-land mong driving for mile after mile seemingly half-asleep, but when you’re usually stuck in that sort of pattern you can understand why some people do it, even if you can’t condone it. When I’ve had to drive into Paris or faced traffic in France standards fall off a cliff and if anything becomes more aggressive than in the UK, I had 2 people pull into my lane driving to Les Arcs a few weeks ago because they took a dislike to something I was doing (going too fast usually) and yesterday someone sat what looked like about a meter off my back bumper at 110kph because he was firstly a **** and secondly because he though perhaps he could push me and the 3 cars ahead to go a bit quicker past a truck or something.

maccruiskeen

The biggest difference is lack of congestion due to the toll.

The lack of congestion is due to two things – the Toll and the fact that inexplicably, having just paid the toll everyone then just stops at the services. 🙂

You’d think the motivation to pay would be to save time but it seems like everyone want to hang around make sure they get their money’s worth.

I’m aware of the irony that I’ve witnessed this because I almost always stop at there services too 😆

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t think you are comparing like with like, the experience around the big French cities e.g. Paris, Nice is just like London, Manchester etc. However, the rural bits are nicer, same way the motorway between Carlisle and south Glasgow is. Thing is as France is much bigger area for roughly the same population, so it has a lot more of the rural bits than the UK does.

TheBrick
    Free Member

American 4 ways are much slower than mini roundabouts. Otherwise all good on the rant

slackboy

off the motorways the driving standard is highly variable. I hadn’t noticed on previous trips but this time my car seemed to have a sign that said “overtake me on blind corners” even though I was travelling (slightly) above the posted speed limit.

On other occasions there were a lot of local drivers in “pootle” mode – doing 40kph in 90kph areas etc.

Worse in the Auvergne than Dordogne.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We’ve driven from Calais to the Pyrenees and back each year for the last 8 years.

French drivers *tend* to behave themselves on the Peages fairly well but that’s a lot to do with enforcement. They all drive far too close though. Driving in Paris on the Perifique is terrifying – entrances and exits far too close together and traffic travelling too fast and too close.

On the rural roads they have a massive MGIF complex and dangerous overtakes are common. They don’t seem to think anything of driving pissed.

Generally driving there feels better for the same reason cycling there feels better – it’s *usually* less congested because the population density is lower.

globalti
    Free Member

France has a slightly larger population than the UK, but they have nearly 3 times the landmass and roughly 3 times the total length of road, and roughly 4 times the length of motorway.

Plus their population is (Paris aside) generally less centralised, most of the bits of France I’ve been too remind me of North Wales, typically smallish towns, spaced apart by largish areas of rural areas linked by decent wide, A-roads (or N road I think they are in France).

Their motorway are very expensively tolled meaning that there’s an economic incentive to restrict their use to the intercity transport, whereas in the UK they get used as city relief roads. Can’t speak for a lot of the UK, but the M4 especially is used a lot to get from one side of a city/town to the other, they were never really designed for that.

This, absolutely, plus private ownership of the motorways.

Also the colder weather further north causes more damage to surfaces through freeze-thaw.

jam-bo

its a south east thing. too many people on not enough roads.

I notice it every time I drive up out of the westcountry to visit family.

deadkenny
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member 
    American 4 ways are much slower than mini roundabouts. Otherwise all good on the rant

More because they’re just generally pootling about there anyway. The rules are nice and clear though. Someone there before you, they have priority. It’s only the rare cases of everyone turning up at the same time that cause confusion but even then they seem polite. Mini roundabouts are like a standoff where some will not know who to give way to if there’s someone on the right as they have someone on their right too and so on, even if some got there before others, and then some dick comes charging through not giving a crap, so another will edge across then find the exit blocked and all jams up.

And right turn on a red in American is an excellent idea too. There’s been suggestions of allowing this just for bikes. I forget where.

molgrips
    Free Member

Same driving in the US

Hahaha..!

Your holiday on the wide open empty roads in lower populated parts of the US is not representative.

I’ve just got back from 3.5k miles in the US and I’d take the M4 over the interstates through US cities any day. It’s FAR worse there. Comparing the open road in California is not comparable.

Junctions are logical. No (or rarely found) roundabouts. Instead of mini-roundabouts with confusion who’s going first, the 2/3/4-way stop system works perfectly.

Hah. The rules for mini roundabouts are better than multi-way stops. You ALWAYS have to stop at a stop, regardless if there’s anything coming or how far you can see. Bloody stupid. And instead of roundabouts they put in traffic lights where you have to wait for minutes when you could have just driven straight through. And there’s the wasted fuel in stopping and starting all the time on empty roads.

And I’ve no idea what you are talking about with logical junctions. Most are just crossroads because there’s sod all traffic. All the crap we have is because of far higher traffic densities. In the US when traffic volumes increase they stick lights on, which causes delays, and on the highways they just add lanes, and lanes, and lanes, so before long you’ve got 8 lanes each way with everyone under and overtaking all over the place doing 80mph 3 feet (I’m not exaggerating) from each other and lorries bombing around just as fast (not exaggerating there either). It’s insane, you can keep it.

molgrips
    Free Member

And right turn on a red in American is an excellent idea too

Yes, that is a good idea. However it works well there because most junctions are open and well sighted. When we have those, we get an explicit left turn give way filter aside from the lights. So if that’s deployed where appropriate, we’re in the same situation. They have fewer filter lanes on their lights. However it makes more sense for bikes here.

It’s only the rare cases of everyone turning up at the same time that cause confusion but even then they seem polite. Mini roundabouts are like a standoff

The standoff in mini roundabouts is the exact same conditions as standoffs in multi-way stops: when everyone arrives at the same time. Otherwise, the rules at minis are the simplest – give way to the right – end of. Which means if there’s no-one there you don’t have to stop, when you DO have to stop at a multi-way stop. Which is infuriating, causes queues and wastes fuel

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 
    Hahaha..!
    Your holiday on the wide open empty roads in lower populated parts of the US is not representative.
    I’ve just got back from 3.5k miles in the US and I’d take the M4 over the interstates through US cities any day. It’s FAR worse there. Comparing the open road in California is not comparable.

Driving through the busiest parts of LA and San Fran, on top of the open roads in the countryside. Salt Lake City(okay empty city really) and Denver also (work hours on a business trip). All fairly much relaxed. Only things to avoid were some of the highways through big cities at peak that can queue up a bit like the M25, but even then if you have more than one person, car pool lanes are awesome.

Otherwise, the rules at minis are the simplest – give way to the right – end of

Yeah, but if one arrives first, they’re about to go but then another arrives just after to their right, they stop, someone arrives to the right of the other guy so they stop, you are to the right of that new guy. Result, no one moves. Stop junction, first guy goes, then second, then third.

Other thing with America is if you put your foot down the car makes a lot of noise but doesn’t go anywhere. Less aggressive as a result, just the noise of a lot of V8s 😀

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think this nails it. On most UK motorways the gaps where you’re not in a load of city-specific traffic are quite short- you get out of one and then you’re pretty sson hitting traffic for the next one. In France it mostly feels like the bigger cities and towns are all much further away from the motorways so you’re mostly just seeing proper cross-country traffic.

The toll aspect is a bit of a red herring I think.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The lane discipline in the UK is hopeless. 4 lane motorways turned into 2 lane by poor driving.

In the UK, the Police seem to shut the whole motorway when there is an accident. In France, Holland and Belgium, they try to keep things moving and shove the wrecks to one side and keep at least one lane open. Makes a big difference.

andytherocketeer

lol, Belgium
    They solve the traffic problem by reducing the space between rear of one car and front of the next to almost 0. Saves building more roads or more lanes.

avdave2

If you want roads that make ours look good go to Belgium to drive round for a bit.

As for the French lane discipline I’ve always found it to be excellent when there are two lanes but it all goes to shit if you give them a third.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘British Roads’ is closed to new replies.