Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • British gas to quote me for a new boiler. Will I need to be seated?
  • rockhopper70

Lots of talk about incentives, grants and trade-ins but for a modest 3 bed semi, what should I be expecting as a reasonable quote.
    And will theirs be anywhere near a reasonable quote?
    Ta

bruneep

it will be a comedy £4k ish

Get a local company in (recommended of course)

footflaps

Their first quote is just an insanely high amount on of the off chance you’re stupid enough to say yet, in which case the sales guy has made his commission for the year.

z1ppy

Dear god, why did you even let them quote?

footflaps

NB your old boiler is probably fine. If they say they can’t get parts anymore, they’re almost certainly telling lies to you.

rockhopper70

4k…..4k….
    I agreed to this after realising that their repair service for the intermittent fault on the current boiler could be circa £399.
    (You could get a new boiler for that).

Sui
    Free Member

second footflaps – there are many a story, inlcuding my old house mate, where BG haven’t been able to repair, or say it’s not viable. *Most faults like this are normally fixed with a hammer, or new extractor fan solanoid

*massive generalisation..

mark90
    Free Member

BG quoted a work colleague £3.5k, a reputable local firm did the job for £2.1k

meehaja
    Free Member

my old boiler was “condemmed” as BG couldn’t get parts for it. Local hgas fitter laughed and said “Mate, I can make parts for that!” and he did. and it worked. and he charged a pittance!

JAG

Just had a quote for direct replacement of a boiler.

Same location, same connections etc…. Just swapping a combi’ for a condensing combi’ and BG quoted £3000!

footflaps

I can get parts for our 30 year old Potterton Nettaheat…

Junkyard
    Free Member

My mum got a £2.5 k quote to swap over a boiler that she provided!! He reckoned it would be done in a day

Sui
    Free Member

hopefully we are getting the picture here that BG = Shysters.. so go Local.

patriotpro
    Free Member

My mum got a £2.5 k quote to swap over a boiler that she provided!! He reckoned it would be done in a day

Bargain 😯

OP – If you have the cash to pay up front, just go with a reputable local firm. If the attraction to BG is being able to pay it off monthly, go either ‘everlastingboilers’ or ‘helplink’.

footflaps

hopefully we are getting the picture here that BG = Shysters

They’re way worse than that, they lie to customers about parts not being available and prey on the elderly and vulnerable with extortionate prices and tales of ‘your boiler is dangerous, you must pay £5k for a new one’.

tinsy
    Free Member

It will be £2400, it will be fitted the day they say, there will be zero mess, it will come with a full warranty that actually means something.

More expensive than a local bloke but it will also be easier on the mind.

My only tip would be wary of the finance if you decide to spread the cost.

They’re way worse than that, they lie to customers about parts not being available and prey on the elderly and vulnerable with extortionate prices and tales of ‘your boiler is dangerous, you must pay £5k for a new one’.

Now I dont get that, I had a homecare package, it paid for itself many times over, they could get the parts for my Potterton Neataheat but it still kept eating fans, not once did they give me any advice to swap it, on the contrary they only expected the new boiler to give me 5% saving… I need to get through this winter to really find out, but I think I am onto more like 30% savings, the boiler was ferked, had a new tank, 2 new 3 way valves all for my £15 a month package. Great.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BG will give you the highest price, guaranteed. Get a reputable local company and double check the prices of the boilers from the local trade place (easy to do and the tradesman will pay a bit less).

It shouldn’t really cost more than £500 to fit assuming the pipe work doesn’t need much modification, a new house builder isn’t paying £3k for a boiler fitting but it is sadly like kitchens and bathrooms a bit of a rip off.

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, I have them on their homecare package and I’m comfortably quids in having had them round five times once for a repair (luckily Mrs Clubber was on maternity at the time so was able to be there without too much hassle) 😉

BigJohn

To replace an ancient system boiler (one with a hot water cylinder – not a combi) with an A rated 24kw boiler was £650 for the boiler, Magnetic filter, £100, £45 for sundries, including inhibitor, and £400 to fit. The whole lot was £1200 and all done in a day, although i did the flushing beforehand. 24kw heats a massive old house.

nealglover
    Free Member

….it will be fitted the day they say, there will be zero mess, it will come with a full warranty that actually means something.

Exactly like the service a decent (recommended) local Gas Fitter would offer.

Please explain why.

BigJohn

And you just try to find a local firm who’s even heard of Green Deal. That’s a laugh in itself.

Mine was done on the day promised – because Harry, the fitter, was off to Whistler for spot of DHing a couple of days later.

annebr
    Free Member

Yeah they wanted us to replace our old boiler cos “parts are hard to get”. We politely declined their offer then rang them with a problem a couple of days later and they replaced almost every part in the boiler to get it working again. 😕

<shhh> and they forgot to bill us too</shhh>

tinsy
    Free Member

Please explain why.

Just my experience of getting work done by local blokes, probably a bit unlucky but also bare in mind I can do most plumbing jobs myself, I learnt how to replace the circuit board in a Potterton (after the faff & f ups the local bloke did) at my previous house, & £pound for £pound, I found the homecare package better than bothering to do it myself.

See clubbers post too, same experience.

I reckon they will ask for £2400 but maybe less for the OP, yup about 800 up on getting a guy from the paper. I would pay the extra unless you can get a solid reccomendation.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just my experience of getting work done by local blokes,

Depends on your selection process I suppose.

Get someone who comes well recommended, and pay a massive amount less than British Gas for the same service (if not better)

Pick a random name from the Yellow Pages and risk ending up on Rogue Traders.

waveydave
    Free Member

If you or somebody in the house is on benefits you can get a brand new free boiler on ‘Greendeal scheme’

takisawa2

Aren’t a lot of Plumbers still in the Seychelles at this time of year…

alanl
    Free Member

Hmm, after doing a preliminary course on the ‘Green Deal’, my thoughts were confirmed that it is not a great saving for the majority of people.

If you are working, you would be better off over the term by buying it yourself.
    If you are on low income, your boiler is knackered, you are skint etc, then it could be a good thing.
    The Green Deal suppliers inflate their installation prices for a start. Then, once the assessor has found you will make X savings that year through reduced gas use, you get you gas bill the following year, which shows the savings are not quite what was predicted.
    (You pay for the boiler by paying the gas ‘savings’ toward the install cost)
    If you contact the assessor, they’ll say you clearly had the heating on more than you had before etc.
    The Contract will have numerous get-out clauses, so it will take rather longer than expected to pay off the amount when you realise the savings are not as predicted.
    What surprised me was the clueless people who were trying to become Energy Assessors. They had had no relevent experience in either heating or building work, but could go on a 3 day course, and were then ‘qualified’ assessors.
    It struck me they were a re-incarnation of the double glazing and Solar panel salesmen.

Myself and mate were looking into it (supply and fitting), after that, we didn’t bother, as we are not comfortable in deceiving people into thinking they have a good deal – it isnt for many.
    It can work for some, so go into it with eyes wide open, and dont get sucked in by salesmens talk of massive savings – it doenst happen – it is possible to get 30% gas savings when changing from an old boiler to a condensing, anything over that is the exception rather than the norm.

hora
    Free Member

The British Gas salesman quoted me threetimes what local engineers quoted. Slyly had a dig that BG engineers aren’t cowboys etc..

What he didn’t say (know?) said “cowboys” subcontracts for BG, trained with them etc etc in their careers.

footflaps

it is possible to get 30% gas savings when changing from an old boiler to a condensing, anything over that is the exception rather than the norm.

Yep, which is why I’ve not changed my 30 year old boiler. With a £600 / year gas bill, I might save £150/year which means it would take 10 years to pay off a new boiler and new boilers don’t last that long…..

BigJohn

Our boiler is in the utility room. We used to hang our washing in there on rainy days. Now we’ve changed from an ancient boiler to a new one the room is freezing. We changed about a month ago and we haven’t had any proper cold weather so I’m thinking I’ll need to put a heater in there.

hora
    Free Member

Bigjohn are all the pipes lagged (water pipes, no need on the gas pipe).

wwaswas

it would take 10 years to pay off a new boiler and new boilers don’t last that long…..

and yet if people don’t fit more energy efficient boilers or insulate their homes because the economic benefits aren’t there then we’ll end up with more CO2 emissions and a more rapid run down of available fossil fuels.

I’m as much guilty of only changing our boiler when it was on its last legs as the next person but I can see there should be some sort of ‘tax’ (beyond purely paying more because of using more gas) for less efficient boilers (much like cars where less efficient engines are VED’d more highly).

And then there’s the argument about the energy needed to manufacture a new boiler and the pipework needed to fit it etc.

Complicated innit.

footflaps

and yet if people don’t fit more energy efficient boilers or insulate their homes because the economic benefits aren’t there then we’ll end up with more CO2 emissions and a more rapid run down of available fossil fuels.

If you consider the CO2 cost of manufacturing a new boiler, and having to have a new boiler every 5-10 years (as news ones don’t last) then the situation won’t be so clear cut.

Another important factor is the human psychological element e.g. if you upgrade to a new boiler, which drops the cost of heating the house, then I suspect there will be a tendency to set the thermostat a bit higher as heating is cheaper. The limiting factor is the actual cost to the user rather than the cost per Therm etc.

wwaswas

If you consider the CO2 cost of manufacturing a new boiler, and having to have a new boiler every 5-10 years (as news ones don’t last) then the situation won’t be so clear cut.

I agree hence;

And then there’s the argument about the energy needed to manufacture a new boiler and the pipework needed to fit it etc.

🙂

I don’t think we use our boiler more now we have a new, efficient, one. The rise in price of gas over the past couple of years means we’re paying more now than before despite using about 30% less.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

So – whats their quote?

footflaps

So – whats their quote?

He passed out and hasn’t come round yet.

Either that or started laughing so much he had a hernia and was rushed to hospital….

wozza180
    Free Member

I had someone lined up to do mine but was interested to know what they would charge what with all the offers at the time,they quoted 4800 but would knock off 600 quid so 4200. That was for a straight change including the compulsory powerflush 900 quid(which I’m told by a lot of plumbers is just a scam). Ended up getting someone local I got all the stuff and he fitted it for £500 all in just under 2 grand.

Sui
    Free Member

Hmm Powerflushing, sure to get those slightly damaged/old joins and valves leaking..

samuri
    Free Member

BG did ours. At the end of the process I was so annoyed with them I told them if I saw a BG employee on my property I’d call the police.

Appalling, terrible, crappy, shitty job. I could have done a better job myself. And yes, they charged an absolute fortune, even after we’d beaten them down. Avoid British Gas at all costs would be my advice.

It was all crap. Thermostat never worked properly, hot water downstairs never worked properly. The boiler was forever cutting out in the first few weeks. Pump went, one of the seals went flooding the kitchen. etc etc etc.

And this was before winter set in and we were left without heating or hot water for almost a week. Same again the following year (although I’d learned myself by that time that all I really needed was a hacksaw). The condensation pipe runs a good ten feet down the side of the house, completely uninsulated. Hmmm, what do you think will happen in winter? USELESS BASTARDS!

The gas pipe runs down the outside of the house as well. That’s a longer run, about 12 feet I reckon. Lazy, lazy installers.

I’m getting all riled up again now. this was something like 7 years ago and the memory still makes me angry. GRRRRRR!

And then when I phoned up to complain. That was even worse!! They couldn’t give crapper customer service if they actively tried to.

footflaps

Hmm Powerflushing, sure to get those slightly damaged/old joins and valves leaking..

Does seem a recent fad, my system has never been flushed and works fine and I’d guess it’s 30+ years old (at least the boiler is).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘British gas to quote me for a new boiler. Will I need to be seated?’ is closed to new replies.