Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)
  • British Enduro Series 2016 – Dates announced!
  • kimbers

It will be interesting to see how the BDS BES can get BC back on board, would they still want FF helmets, double taping, 2 practice runs a stage and BC points before you can enter.

Would require support from regional series to work, is it worth it for them?

wrecker
    Free Member

Why would anyone want BC back? The points are worth nothing.

northerntom
    Free Member

Well I am now totally confused about who is running this. My understanding was that it was Si from the BDS AND the guys from Red Kite, now it’s two separate series. Genuinely the worst idea I have heard yet, and to be honest, most people would ride the one organised by Si, knowing they’re good events.

To be honest, this is not good for the sport. Everyone seems to be against BC, and I’ve seen first hand what they can be like, but we are better to have them on our side than not.

scottfitz
    Free Member

To be honest, this is not good for the sport.

I disagree, Giving costumers more choice is not a bad thing.

My guess is both series will be run differently and appeal to a different audience.
    as I see it,
    MBES*: Average Joe’s
    BES: Pro’s

* Marin British Enduro Series

wrecker
    Free Member

as I see it,
    MBES*: Average Joe’s
    BES: Pro’s

Which means that MBES will be profitable and BES won’t.

legend
    Free Member

2 “national” series is a situation where no one wins imo. It just leads to confusion and the possibility of two series not selling out. At best, one will be so much better than the other that one will be forgotten about. Also, howany average joes are likely to follow a full series around the country?

kimbers

Red Kite has a good rep for challenging courses and has run plenty of enduros, numbers haven’t been great, so better advertising and PR would be good.
    Theyve also been involved with other enduro organisers, to an extent.

BDS crew have proven track record with DH, great PR, look at their legends category for the last round of the BDS, genius! No history with enduro though and it’s a tough format to get right. And I expect it will be pricey if the BDS is anything to go by.
    Tho they could afford to keep prices low for year 1 and raise them a bit in year2? If it’s good enough people will pay.
    My only concern is that if they are chasing BC support I hope BC have a more realistic approach to enduro now.

northerntom
    Free Member

Agree with wrecker for once.

I doubt two national series will work. Your average Joe keep mtb going, they buy the expensive stuff, pay the entry fees, but the beer and the unhealthy food. The elites don’t have to buy bikes….(I know how stereotypical I’m being here). Your average Joe funds the series, hopefully the organisers will realise that.

Also, I race to compare myself to the best guys, not that i’ll ever beat them, but sometimes when I’m close it’s a good feeling, I won’t get that if it’s separated.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Also, howany average joes are likely to follow a full series around the country?

Maybe not but everyone did the full series of the UKGE. I only tend to do one a year(closest one).

Dark-Side

endurofactory – Member
    Neil of Redkite has been busy setting up a national Enduro series for a year without keeping tabs on his Mondraker series with very low entry’s?
    No idea why brands would consider such a small promoter taking his eye off the ball?

Mondraker UK must be so pleased there investment into a series is wasted for Neil to work hard on a national.

POSTED 13 HOURS AGO #

That some assumption right there. Some people can multi-task you know.

Its an interesting two posts from a new member though. One promoting Si Paton and one sledging Neil at Red Kite. An agenda perhaps?

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

I’m liking what I’ve heard so far. There is the W.E.S Mash Up which sounds a lot more accessible and enjoyable for your average racer.

And, quite honestly, the idea of a UK series using some tried and tested venues with a twist of some new, specifically cut stages sounds great. I’ve not done a Red Kite / Mondraker race as they’re just a bit too far away, but the idea of stages that push your limits yet mostly range between 1-4 mins is right up my street. The more BDS-esque they are the better.

I’ve also heard rumblings that Eastridge will be on the calendar. 2016 could be a good ‘un…

wrecker
    Free Member

Agree with wrecker for once.

That would be nice but I have no idea who you are.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’ve also heard rumblings that Eastridge will be on the calendar. 2016 could be a good ‘un…

Sounds like it:

“Charlie has so far sorted out one venue at Afan and the last round will possibly be in Shropshire’s Eastridge Woods; others still to be confirmed. The dates will be January 23-24th, February 20-21st, March 19-20th, April 2-3rd (Afan) and May 21-22nd orMay 28-29th.”

legend
    Free Member

Maybe not but everyone did the full series of the UKGE. I only tend to do one a year(closest one).

That was my point. To have a worthwhile series you need a core of people who will travel around going for the overall. UKGE had that plus the normal punters.

chakaping
    Free Member

Enduro’s gonna end up more confusing than boxing at this rate – but two series is better than none.

Good luck sorting it out fellas.

scottfitz
    Free Member

That was my point. To have a worthwhile series you need a core of people who will travel around going for the overall. UKGE had that plus the normal punters.

Yep I agree, I will be interesting to see want direction both series will take but a lot will come down to pricing in year one.

hels
    Free Member

What this situation really needs is some yanks. To declare a Galactic Enduro Series to beat all enduro series or something. And they look better in leather pants and cowboy boots !

chakaping
    Free Member

What this situation really needs is some yanks. To declare a Galactic Enduro Series to beat all enduro series or something. And they look better in leather pants and cowboy boots !

Won’t they just have a “world series” that only they can enter?

😀

scottfitz
    Free Member

Anyone here about any of these 3 running a series in 2016?

Enduro1 Series
    Mini Enduro
    Spike sports

kimbers

Its an interesting two posts from a new member though. One promoting Si Paton and one sledging Neil at Red Kite. An agenda perhaps?

I know endurofactory, he has no affiliation to either, he does race lots of enduros though so he has a good perspective,
    he is full of opinions, most of its bollox, but there are some gems in there, sometimes 😉

yeah the core traveled and did the series, that included those sponsored in some fashion and those plebs that finish at the back but enjoy it anyway (me),
    but last year it filled up with locals only doing their closest rounds, this years extra insurance costs etc put those guys off, your average beer guzling weekend warrior wont pay too much to race his local trails

scottfitz
    Free Member

I also know endurofactory and agree about the bollox and gems too 😉

orena45

Spike Sports might do a couple of bitesize enduros again early next year I’d imagine…although having said that, they’ve usually advertised it by now. They didn’t run the Mondraker Exmoor Gravity Rally this year citing change of landowners and letting them ‘settle in’ but did say it would be back for 2016…but things change so who knows.

Dark-Side

I know endurofactory, he has no affiliation to either, he does race lots of enduros though so he has a good perspective,
    he is full of opinions, most of its bollox, but there are some gems in there, sometimes

Well thats good to hear. I just hope the series can either coexist peacefully or come together somehow using.

orena45

And Enduro1…I’m sure I heard rumblings that it might not happen next year at the last round. Turn-out was quite low for Triscombe and Grogley I think. Hope I’m wrong as I enjoyed it and was pretty relaxed, but maybe the new SW Gravity Enduro series will take over more?

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have dabbled in most of the Enduro series that are out there… enjoyed them all to be honest.

I’m no top dog or ‘owt, mid table seems to be my place.

To me it makes no difference at all what a series calls itself; date, location and cost are the factors that decide whether I can attend.

Once there so long as the course is fun and the atmosphere good i’m a happy bunny.

I will just doff my hat to everyone who puts on an event, doubly so to those that get a series together.

What I would really appreciate is a central website where I can find out what events are on when with plenty of notice. Some events take some hunting out at the moment and I often miss out due to being something of a novice around the interweb.

Fingers crossed the Enduro pond is big enough for a couple of big fish and lots of little ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

One national series with 23 rounds and seven promoters?

scottfitz
    Free Member

What I would really appreciate is a central website where I can find out what events are on when with plenty of notice. Some events take some hunting out at the moment and I often miss out due to being something of a novice around the interweb.

Roots and rain did a good job of that in 2015.

scottfitz
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

One national series with 23 rounds and seven promoters? who gets the champs?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

This is/going to be confusing!!!

I do feel they need to sort this out, which one is the “British” Series. 😯
    More so the best riders want to ride/race against the best riders, their sponsors what them to ride/race against the best, so if they do well they can both have the bragging rights.(more so with nat champs!!)

Also the event sponsors what the most return for there £££s.
    Joe public like to be at the same event as the top riders, compere times, be part of the the “British” series, help support it etc.
    Most people can’t afford (money & Time) to do 2 full series
    Also from the organizer side as well, they want max numbers at as many rounds of possible. to get their investment/money back.

Thou I not a big fan of want BC do (or more like want they DON’T do) they would stop this kind of confusion. they just put out a a release/tender asking someone to run the series (XC, DH, BMX etc) and then give the winning bid/tender the “official” tag, to the series.

As BC is not involved, I say let us, the riders decide! 😈

What I am thinking is get a independent cycling website to take a poll/vote!

Both organizers to get as much basic info and what they planning to do, their history, rules etc ready by a set date (End of Oct/start of Nov?)
    Said website to have post both set of info with a vote box at the bottom.

Info I think we need are;
    Dates,
    venues inc Brief overview of type of course, trail center/new cut etc
    Cost of entry
    Format, (2/3 day, practice, seeding, set start times etc)
    points system
    Cats
    Timing system
    Basic rules, do we need full face, personal insurance etc
    sponsors

Thou it be hard on the one who gets the lest votes, and does not stop them from going ahead and running their series, I do think it help both in the long run, less risk in a way, give them a chance to change/tweak what they planned (maybe reduce number of races)

Mbnut
    Free Member

Cheers Scott, I relied on More Dirt this year so will add Roots and Rain to my bookmarks.

chakaping
    Free Member

who gets the champs?

Game of pass the parcel to decide this next time you have one of your federation meets?

Paul-B

Jeez, my head’s spinning!

I hope this gets sorted out so the whole thing doesn’t become a farce.

endurofactory
    Free Member

The situation would be solved if there was a national series backed by BC/FeD , but the possibility of either appearing in Enduro for now is almost zero.

So we’re left with the Enduro organiser wars, more events then we can imagine coming in 2016

My biggest concern the racing field/line up will become diluted

Northwind

scottfitz – Member

who gets the champs?

Greg Callaghan 😆

steveh

It’s interesting the view from several people that the BDS are great events, in some ways they are – media, marketing, coverage, and event feel – but many average racers that I speak to feel that they do not care about them – uplift, venue selection, things critical to the rider are overlooked and that the normal riders are not important or valued.

BC won’t be getting involved in the discussions about who should be the British/National series but I’d agree that their should definitely only be one.

scottfitz
    Free Member

So reading all the post, everyone seens to be happy someone is stepping in to run a national series.

Most people also seem to think or be of the opinion there isn’t room for 2 series to run.

So what’s the solution?

midwales – any chance you would work with the BDS guys?

As far as I am aware Si Paton and Krien Dawson have not race an enduro let along organised one.

Organising enduro events is very different to DH and hard to get right first time.

If BDS and Red kite where to team up and bring red kites enduro experience to BDS national series experience it could be a really epic series.

As for BC I would never say never but personally they would have to win me/my events back and prove to me that they are capable of supporting enduro from the ground up.

FeD is very unlikely as not all organisers would be on-board for various reasons. However I think with the right people running the FeD it would be the best way to progress the sport.

benpinnick

Its probably already beyond descending into a farce with 2 series announced with the same name!

I think we will probably not run either as a main focus of the race season if the 2 way carries on, There’s little point in putting energy into a ‘national’ series when the numbers will likely be moderate, and its all for something fairly illegitimate (national title) at the end. I suspect a lot of teams will be the same. There’s plenty of well attended regional events that offer more variety in terms of audience and style, which is what we really want. We’ve generally not had the opportunity to do many of these with the exception of our local QECP ones to date because of the ‘national’ level stuff but we are likely to shift away from that this year I suspect.

There’s so many series now you can only realistically pick one or two and focus on those, and then backfill the gaps. For us we’ll probably work around European EWS, Scottfitz’ Southern series, The Welsh Gravity Mash Up series, Ard Rock, and a couple one offs. We’ll fill the summer gaps with the most interesting of the rest no doubt, but that won’t have left many spots to fill as we don’t actually want to be racing every weekend!

deviant
    Free Member

Next year will be interesting, I didn’t race an Enduro in 2015 so had no idea about dwindling numbers across several organisations….for seasons prior to that events were selling out the day entries went live!….maybe things have peaked?
    2015 for me was about finding DH races with a HT category as that’s what I wanted to do but next year with my 140-160mm Enduro gnarpoon built up I’ll look at doing a few….but by Christ there’s quite a few organisations now!…my fear as echoed above is that the number of potential riders will now be spread too thinly for an enjoyable event.

What was great about the early years of UKGE was that there was very little else like it, if you got an entry it was a great weekend, festival like almost….I took my better half to Eastridge and she loved it, couldn’t believe how friendly everyone was, music blasting out of the PA system and bonkers racing to boot…that’s what I’d like to see again.

With regards progression to the EWS, I suppose if you’re trouncing everyone in regional Enduros then it’s probably time to test the water with an EWS entry, how did Greg Callaghan progress?…he didn’t need to win a national Enduro title, neither did Tracy Mosely….I reckon if you’re racing DH and or XC at a national level then your transition to the EWS should be fairly straight forward once you get your head round the format.

I’d like to see a national series, for the guys and girls who race every weekend, live the sport and carry sponsorship then it’s a big deal but (and I hate to say this) it does almost need BC to step in and take control and formally nominate a national series…..otherwise it’s farcical like the numerous different belts for the ‘champ’ in boxing.

kimbers

UKGE is still like that,but poor PR and unpopular FF and helmet rules have seen the numbers drop

As said there are now lots of really good regional races too

And TMo did start out racing UKGEs some of the young racers on teams there are incredibly fast and I expect they will do sell at EWS on the future.

A national series would be great for the sport, but unless Si and Neil can come to some sort of agreement, 2016 at least may be a bit of a list year

Interesting times 🙁

scottfitz
    Free Member

I didn’t race an Enduro in 2015 so had no idea about dwindling numbers across several organisations….for seasons prior to that events were selling out the day entries went live!….maybe things have peaked?

Not strictly true,
    most PMBA races sold out this year.
    Ard’rock had 1300+ riders.

As for the QECP events they went mad in 2015 even with us pushing the numbers up, QECP Day & Night sold out in 2 days (18 day quicker that 2014) and the QECP Enduro sold out in under 2 hours (22 hours quicker than 2014). This is the main reason for starting the Southern enduro series.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘British Enduro Series 2016 – Dates announced!’ is closed to new replies.