Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • British Driving Licence questions (perhaps one for STW bobbies)
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve been an ex-pat for the last 10 years.

I have a full driving licence from The Philippines and from Thailand. They allow me to drive up to 7 seater vehicles and small motorbikes (is it less than 250cc?) here in Thailand and in the UK for up to 12 months at a time.

Whenever I come back to the UK, I’m able to rent cars and drive legally.

I’ve been thinking about doing my British test when I’m next in England. To do that I’ll need a British provisional licence. I’ve found contrary info on the internet with some saying that once I have a provisional British licence, it over-rides the foreign one and I can’t drive as though I have a full licence. any more.

I’ve emailed the DVLA and have had a reply with a link to their FAQs; no answer there though.

Anyone know the answer? I’m worried that

a) I get my provisional, that I’m then being illegal if I drive under the Thai licence.

b) I accept a) hoping to pass my test quickly but fail as I have 10 years or bad habits to break!

Thanks

simmy
    Free Member

As far as I know that’s correct, a UK provisional overrides a international permit.

I’m a Driving Instructor though not a cop.

amplebrew

Might be worth while having a look at the Citizens Advice Bureau website. They’ve got a driving licence section.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Think you’re ok for a year even if you get a provisional. If you read this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/regulation/80/made which is what lets you drive here on your foreign licence, then this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/regulation/18/made which says you, being a foreign licence holder, don’t have to comply with this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/regulation/16/made, the normal provisional licence restrictions.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sorry that looks a mess but I can’t be arsed tidying it up 🙂

Basically, you can do what you’re planning to do – for 12 months. (But if I were you I would have Section 18 printed off in case you get stopped and checked and your car seized for being a provisional licence holder by a cop who is not as awesome as me).

konabunny
    Free Member

“I’ve been thinking about doing my British test when I’m next in England.”

are you moving back permanently or just visiting? you’re not entitled to a UK licence if you don’t live in the UK.

Could be worth asking here, http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?12-Motoring-Law-Questions-Answers
    There’s a few police, magistrates and lawyers on there and when I’ve had some obscure questions in the past relating to vintage HGVs and tracked vehicles and they’ve been very helpful and knowledgeable.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all.

thegreatape – is that 12 months per arrival or in total from when I get my UK provisional? At the moment, it’s 12 months per arrival. Never an issue for me as we’re only back for 6 weeks or so per summer.

Konabunny – The info I’ve found says you must have a residence in the UK that you have stayed in for 185 days. It doesn’t say “for the last 185 days before applying for the licence” or similar. I have kept my house’s address for things like bank statements. Bills in my name to that address. I’m on the electoral roll, have kept up my NI payments etc.

I take driving laws very seriously (hence this thread). I got my provisional licence when I was 16 (1998) so I won’t be applying for my provisional so much as renewing it. I might take the don’t ask don’t tell approach to questions of residency!

Although I’ve got my various driving licences 100% legally, considering the rigor of the tests, I’ll be doing the driving public a favour by taking a British test where I’m actually taught something important. One of the questions on the Filipino multiple choice test was “if your parking brake is broken, when you park should the wheels be turned towards or away from the sidewalk?”. This wasn’t a trick question. The answer was “away if facing uphill and toward if facing downhill”.

Cougar

Do you even need a provisional? I can’t immediately see why your International licence doesn’t serve the same purpose.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I see no reason to conclude that holding a UK provisional changes the fact that what you’re doing now is clearly within the rules.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘British Driving Licence questions (perhaps one for STW bobbies)’ is closed to new replies.