Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • British domination in all forms of cycling
  • RealMan
    Free Member

After seeing the world champs road race and tt, and also watching the world champs dh, I started wondering just how many forms of riding we do brilliantly at.

We seem to be all over road racing, tting, dh and track. We’ve even got brilliant trials riders.

But I don’t follow XC, bmx, or cross – how are we doing in general in those disciplines?

iDave
    Free Member

XC – a bit shit
    BMX – good
    Cross – worse than XC

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We’ve even got brilliant trials riders.

At competition/UCI level? Not sure about that one…..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as iDave says! Although
    track – shite hot
    road riding (men) – shizzle bizzle
    road riding (women) – mmm some good names but not tippety top.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thing is we should be good a cross, perhaps in a few years time?

XC, no wonder really when you look at the mountainbikers attitude on here.

iDave
    Free Member

oldgit, that’s a pretty lame link you’re making? some idiots on a recreational (at best) forum = no success at world level competitively?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

WHy should we be good at cross in a few years? In the UK it’s seen as a winter way of keeping fit for MTBers, it’s not massively huge, or lucrative, or even carries a great amount of respect, unlike Belgium where cross is THE thing! They have cross races going through great big spectator stands selling beer..now that is awesome!

Again MTBing doesn’t get much kudos or recognition, so people who are good tend to move towards track or road cycling. Geraint Thomas start as an MTBer with a bit of track but when he realised hew as good moved across as a junior. Sadly a lot of these things nowadays are about kudos and money, if you can be good at road, why flog the horse of XC? Not saying it’s right, just MO.

druidh
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

Eh?

RealMan
    Free Member

I thought we had a fairly strong XC team, didn’t they do quite well at the Olympic test event?

oldgit
    Free Member

oldgit, that’s a pretty lame link you’re making? some idiots on a recreational (at best) forum = no success at world level competitively?

True, but they get to me. Though DBs words of wisdom are encouraging.

Cross, BC seem to be doing more i.e helping clubs directly, formatting events. That and the fact that more riders are err riding 😐 Probably more wishful thinking.

oldgit
    Free Member

druid aimed at the thread were a good few folk seemed it wasn’t fair that fit fast athletes should be at an advantage in a race?

brakes
    Free Member

I’d hardly say we were dominating

oldgit
    Free Member

True, but we are having a damn good wee in the shoes of other great cycling nations.

We do seem to have some depth though.

tang
    Free Member

A damn good wee indeed.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry oldgit- I didn’t see that one. Bizarre….

derekrides
    Free Member

We dominate at Freeride..

Freeride = don’t give a ****, don’t do it for competition just the craic, sticking it, & look totally coowell.

Freeride = the only coowell thing in Cycling.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye we are weeing but the bombers are still in the cupboard

RealMan
    Free Member

We dominate at Freeride..

Freeride = don’t give a ****, don’t do it for competition just the craic, sticking it, & look totally coowell.

Freeride = the only coowell thing in Cycling.

oldgit
    Free Member

Swooooon

Junkyard
    Free Member

there’s a potential banning if anyone wants to make a ghey joke about now

derekrides
    Free Member

A lot of my friends are ‘that way’ those that didn’t kill themselves in a gas fight that is..

They’re still cool though.

iDave
    Free Member

Isn’t the Redbull rampage a freeride competition? Same for Crankworx?

crikey
    Free Member

We won the 3 peaks too!

Dibbs
    Free Member

There’s mountainbikers on here?
    I though this a forum for overweight IT professionals that went to a trail centre once a year and spent the rest of the time giving everyone the benefit of their vast knowledge. 😛

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘British domination in all forms of cycling’ is closed to new replies.