Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • British Cycling – why the sudden MTB interest?
  • votchy
    Free Member

I have been a member of British Cycling for a few years now and there has never really been anything of interest regarding MTB, however, the last few member news emails have featured a lot of MTB content. Does anyone know why this might be? Nothing more than curiosity but am glad to see more MTB content.

dawson

Probably just because Worlds are on at the moment

paton
    Free Member

It is a difficult time for British Cycling currently

Diverting attention and trying to hang on to lottery funding and dealing with bullying and a lot of legacy stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/01/british-cycling-investigates-helper-alleged-drugs-us

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/18/british-cycling-funding-risk-reform-vote-rejection

plecostomus
    Free Member

As they realised they screwed up with the blanket HSBC sponsorship of bc one of the main reasons why there is no bds next year. The HSBC sponsorship won’t allow a individual title sponsor for the series and they won’t give a lump sum of money towards the event

paton
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

What content have you seen Votchy? Any advocacy stuff or just racing-related?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Annie Last Won a race? XC wear lycra, that’s always made them make sense to British Cycling. Although I’m sure if a Brit ever won anything in downhill we’d hear about that too.

701arvn
    Free Member

Although I’m sure if a Brit ever won anything in downhill we’d hear about that too

Ahem, believe Britain has had the odd winner.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The worlds are on, and BC want to claim all the credit, despite giving **** all support.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ahem, believe Britain has had the odd winner.

Sorry, i might have understated my sarcasm there. That was very much my point.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The worlds are on, and BC want to claim all the credit, despite giving **** all support

I think this hits the nail on the head perfectly!

malv173
    Free Member

I cancelled my membership recently, after two years. Didn’t feel they do enough for mountain biking, and even this little, recent spurt feels like too little, too late.

mehr
    Free Member

As a spectacle DH racing is the absolute limit of biking skills, I can’t see kids getting excited by road racing.

twistedpencil

They were all over Rachael’s achievements last year on social media, getting a shirt and water bottle for the work champs made all the difference to Rachybox and Danny 🙂

flanagaj
    Free Member

I have been a member of British Cycling for a few years now and there has never really been anything of interest regarding MTB, however, the last few member news emails have featured a lot of MTB content. Does anyone know why this might be? Nothing more than curiosity but am glad to see more MTB content.

Fingers crossed it might mean MTBers end up having a voice. As a cycling group we are predominately ignored here in England. I met with my MP yesterday to discuss the waste of money clearing road verges 7 times/ year but with little to no bridleway clearing. He was totally bought into the idea that rights of way should be maintained so as to get people out on their bikes.

The issue with most MTBers is that they seem to be apathetic when it comes to voicing issues. If we want a voice then it’s up to each and everyone of us to do that.

dissonance

Fingers crossed it might mean MTBers end up having a voice.

My money (literally since they got my which cycling charity this year gets a donation) is on CTC aka cycling UK. They seem to consider the cyclists beyond just those Olympic road race hopefuls and then a slight nod to those roadies who dream of being that class.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘British Cycling – why the sudden MTB interest?’ is closed to new replies.