Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • British Cycling race mechanic job
  • uglybassplayer

The BC website shows another race mechanic job is open, applications due before the end of the month…

My question to those who are race mechanics (or have been), is what is required to be successful in such an application…

I am looking pretty seriously at changing careers (currently an Engineer) and have considered such a job before, I can provide enthusiasm and passion, my current career provides evidence for some of the organisational/problem solving/responsibility required etc and I have evidence of CAD, and manufacture of bespoke parts for my own projects to back up the practical.

What I am lacking (and this is where many people will point and laugh) is as a bicycle mechanic! I worked in a shop when I was younger and maintain my own bikes/cars/motorcycles etc but I’m not sure that will hold much weight!

Are they looking for qualifications (cy tech etc), experience in lower tier teams (I volunteer as a mechanic/helper for our local club development team) or a healthy helping of both…

Would they even read an application slightly out of left field, no provable direct experience but plenty of comparable and useful skills?

somafunk

Having known a few pro-bike team mechanics you would be so out of your depth that it would be pointless applying for it, you wouldn’t even get past the cv stage or get an interview. I’m saying this not to be an arse but to be brutally honest.

twohats
    Free Member

The main criteria is experience as a bicycle mechanic, preferably at workshop manager level.
    Your CAD/engineering experience wont even get you a look in.

uglybassplayer

Nothing wrong with being brutal… Your only saying what I’m already thinking… So thinking ahead to the next position that opens up is the only option to quit my current job and work in a bike shop for a year or so?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I suspect it’s experience that counts for a lot.You can have as many pieces of paper as you want and even be a very capable ‘home’ mechanic but being able to diagnose and quickly fix a problem is slightly different.
    I don’t profess to be an engineer or even class myself as a mechanic (in the true sense of the word) but I’m not to shabby at hitting push irons wit ‘ammers.
    I’m debating going for it.I’ve spent a decade running lbs workshops (and on/off spannering for racers) and I’m getting too old for dealing with little hitler knob head bike shop owners anymore (and they are ALL cut from the same cloth believe me….except Charlie,cos he is ace).
    It’s too far to realistically commute from where I am (which I REALLY like) and would mean moving to within spitting distance of Manchester (uuurrghh) but if I want to carry on playing with pushbikes there’s not too many other options.

somafunk

It’ll take more than a year or two to even get semi competent for fast shop work, a genuine race team mechanic can work at incredible speed under stressful situations where the winning margins for the rider may come down to 1/100 second and you need to have absolute faith in your ability to do the job time and time again without that niggly doubt of “did I index that cable perfect, did I toe that brake pad in, did I tighten that 4mm stem bolt up” all whilst the team manager & rider & 12months of training is relying on you to do the job asap.

I consider myself a decent mechanic, no way in hell would I choose to be a pro team mechanic 😉

I’ve been a mechanic for mates who used to do the rac rally (won his class a few times) and had to practically rebuild cars in a matter of hours, the pressure is horrendous and not something I’d ever wish to do again.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Tbh. I know most of the BC race mechanics and it’s not a job that people stick at for very long.

It’s pretty poorly paid for what amounts to a lot of work. 14+ hour days are not uncommon with long drives involved with very bizare logistics. Add to that once your face stops fitting or you say no to any gig then you get dropped quicker that one of their riders.

It’s a young mans game, the last full time mtb mechanic didn’t manage to take a holiday in over 2 years. Having said that they are always on the road and on expenses so don’t get time to spend the cash anyway.

My Mrs was the soigner for 5 seasons. I also know several pro road and mtb mechs from the big teams, which tbh seem a lot more organised but it’s a bun fight as a lot of guys going for few gigs which drives the daily rate down. Again, not something people stick at for long.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Oh, and if it’s little hitlers you want to avoid, then give BC a massive wide berth. It’s like the third reich. When Shane shouts jump you say how high and how far.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had a fair suspicion tbh but I was going to have a sniff.The travelling does’nt bother me too much but the prospect of moving from nice house/area/doorstep riding /friends does’nt fill me with overwhelming joy.

walleater

You sound like the perfect applicant C 😀

I couldn’t work for anyone called Shane.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I own a bike shop and I’m not a hitter I even have a fridge filled with beer and coke and sprite and Dr pepper plus good coffee all free for customers to help themselves even if they have only come in to ask questions and chill out. I feel dirty now owning a shop 😥

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can I have a job pleease?
    I believe walleater is proof that bikeshop bosses are bellends 😀

cannondaleking
    Free Member

If you want to move to Lowestoft your more than welcome to pop and see if it’s for you lol the workshop is tiny and I don’t sell bikes only service work and custom wheels and over the last year more and more motorbike wheels which is confusing 😕 Did a few pairs then more and more came mainly for the beer

Rorschach
    Free Member

Beer you say???……

mintimperial

I own a bike shop and I’m not a hitter I even have a fridge filled with beer and coke and sprite and Dr pepper plus good coffee all free for customers to help themselves even if they have only come in to ask questions and chill out.

😀

Lowestoft

🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

He said free beer though.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Free beer yes there is Stella, woodfords, coppenburg and local mead. Plus SOFT DRINKS TOO lol.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Also two leather comfie sofa’s and telly on the wall with most mtb/roadie DVDs in a stack next to back issues of stw and privateer.

mintimperial

Good point. Hmm, nearest hills 150 miles away, but… free beer?

I’m on my way.

walleater

I believe walleater is proof that bikeshop bosses are bellends

I think we have the same bellend status 😀 i.e don’t (or did) we both oversee workshops, rather than run stores?

Being a race mech would have some advantages. No more calculating spoke lengths, looking up oil heights and weights (if you have any sense you’d just have a cheat sheet for all that stuff), no trying to free up a rear derailleur from 1972, minimal dog poo, minimal freaks (replaced by skinny neurotic **** though I guess). I remember a certain future race mech learning to build wheels. I’ve never heard so much swearing….and it took him two days to build one. Not long after he was the Athertons mechanic ha ha….. So it can’t be THAT hard….just gotta potentially deal with a lot of stress innit.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘British Cycling race mechanic job’ is closed to new replies.