Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • British Cycling or CTC … Who to join?
  • letmetalktomark

With the almost weekly occurrence of a riders reporting issue and problems with other road users its got me thinking about joining one of the above.

My sentiments are much less tin foil hat related but more support for one a group I hope to never actually need to use but may indirectly support others that do – if that makes any sense!

So with the two options being similarly priced any thoughts from the Have as to who to go with?

soobalias
    Free Member

ctc.

i hope you dont want me to jusitfy that

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

BC for the discount at Halfords, CRC etc.?

Says he who thought of this after buying the Wazoo. 😆

twistedpencil

As a BC member it pains me to say CTC, they appear to hold members interest in higher regard…

BC do very little for mountain biking as well…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

BC if you race or want to

Cycling UK as they are now called if you care more about “just riding your bike”(CTC)

I am a member of both because I have to be for insurance purposes; I wouldn’t bother with BC if you don’t have to. Cycling UK get a 15% off Cotswold at any price, BC get 10% off non sale items over £75.

thepodge
    Free Member

CTC / Cycling UK, BC seem more about racing

Rubber_Buccaneer

Cycling UK (CTC) for me for self interest reasons. I wanted the legal assistance etc should the worst happen plus all the campaigning they do for access, safety, etc the rest of the time.

jsinglet

CTC also gets discounts at a lot of LBSs + Evans.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Cycling UK

do far more on access, less dependent on state money to operate

benp1

dammit, I’ve just joined up to BC for another year!!

Only really do it for the 3rd party insurance for commuting, 10% halfords discount is a minor bonus

MoreCashThanDash

CTC here – variety of discounts nationally and also through local groups, more campaigning and supportive than BC appear to be. BC appear to be more race oriented.

And a mate has used CTC’s lawyers with great success after being hit by cars. Twice. 🙄

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Only really do it for the 3rd party insurance for commuting

This for me, also.

The 10% off CRC and Halfords I always forget about, frustratingly after just buying Thule bars and racks from Halfords.

Kamakazie

Where can you find out the places that do CTC discount?
    Can’t see it on their website.

fingerbike
    Free Member

CTC, been with them for a few years, and used legal assitance when knocked off a few years ago.
    The benefits/discounts page:
    https://www.cyclinguk.org/membership/member-benefits

Kamakazie

Seem that fingerbike but it only lists Cotswolds.

MoreCashThanDash

Discounts on Cotswold, YHA, health cover, training courses, quite a lot of LBS’ seem to offer discounts as well through local groups.

coomber
    Free Member

Sorry to bump this, CRC discount is appealing to me, but CTC would sway it if their legal team is that much better if I had an accident. How does their legal bit work?

Sorry if that’s a stupid question? Do you just phone up and explain how the accident happened and they take it from their at their cost?

jeffl

Think their legal teams are roughly analogous. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised it they use the same solicitors. Guy at work recently had to use BC solicitors and he got an OK payout after being knocked off his bike and suffering concussion.

cinnamon_girl

coomber – a friend is a CTC member and had an accident, she had many different injuries that necessitated visits to multiple consultants and doctors in different locations. The Council admitted liability, she claimed for all her travel costs and her partner’s as she wasn’t well enough to travel on her own. She also claimed for her bike and accessories, clothing, shoes, medicines. It’s taken 3 years and has recently received a pay out, she was happy with the CTC appointed solicitor.

As regards how to proceed, some local residents had seen it happen. There was a record of them previously having contacted the Council on numerous occasions stating the dangerous condition of the road and that it was popular with cyclists. That evening the road was repaired, I think cos the Police became involved. Keep records and pics of everything.

allan23
    Free Member

I hated CTC, almost every newsletter was cringeworthy as if cycling was putting on the tweeds and trouser clips and pootling off for tea with the vicar with a cheery tally ho.

They might have changed in recent years but I stuck with BC as they were a little more modern 🙂

coomber
    Free Member

Great thanks guys. I’ll join CTC for a year I think and see what I feel like. Hopefully never have need for them!

bfjaerem
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack – I have recently started commuting into London and have been looking into insurance and legal representation via CTC after reading a recommendation on here.

However my concern is that I think the insurance offered is only third party i.e. to cover a claim against you. If you were injured in a hit and run or by an uninsured driver any legal representation will be useless if there is no one to claim against or they have no way to pay. If a driver with no insurance was prosecuted, 50p a week for the rest of your life will not sufficiently compensate for any life changing injuries.

Does anyone know if cyclist insurance exist to cover such a situation? Would a personnel injury be covered under a common household insurance?

Thanks

cinnamon_girl

I hated CTC, almost every newsletter was cringeworthy as if cycling was putting on the tweeds and trouser clips and pootling off for tea with the vicar with a cheery tally ho.

They’re now known as CyclingUK and their mag features bikepacking, cx bikes etc.

MoreCashThanDash

CTC membership gives you access to their partner solicitors for pursuing claims against drivers, as mentioned above they seem to be pretty good. I would assume that extends to MIB cases against uninsured drivers but I’m not sure on that point.

And I keep forgetting they are now Cycling UK.

xico
    Free Member

Cycling UK (CTC) here – third party insurance, six magazines a year, local groups. All from an organisation that actively campaigns for cycling.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I used to think Sport cycling = BC, access/campaigning CTC – but considering what BC are doing with a, Chris Boardman and they way he is getting access to politicians to lobby for everyday cycling, and also what they are doing with the Breeze network to pull more women into cycling off all kinds then I think they are ultimately going to be more successful at this sort of thing than the CTC, who have frankly being doing what they have been doing for decades whilst cycling amongst the general population has withered.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘British Cycling or CTC … Who to join?’ is closed to new replies.