Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • British Cycling level 2 coaching course.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Doing mine this weekend and I’m really nervous about it. I’ve nearly read through all the manuals and induction pack and it seems really full on and quite daunting. 😯

Anyone else completed one that can offer any advice?

Shergie
    Free Member

Did mine last weekend, really long days but well worth it. Nothing to be worried about if you go into it with your head screwed on – the tutor were first class, really supportive and obviously keen to get the best out of everyone involved.

Pro Tip.
    Punctuality is King, there not joking when they say theres a lot to get through…

And most important Enjoy!

gearfreak
    Free Member

It is a proper training course, rather than a mickey mouse turn up and you get the bit of paper. Having said that when I did mine the trainers were friendly, helpful and profesional. There is nothing to get nervous about, but it’s good that you’ve read the stuff beforehand. You will have some homework to do before day 2, so don’t plan to go out on the piss!

It’s a really good course, you do feel after the end of the 2 days that you can run a session for kids.

The paperwork between the course and assesment is quite erm, full on, as in there is a lot to do.

When I did mine there was a wide range of both cycling and coaching abilitites, ie some people were casual riders, some had never coached a thing in there life before, some were great riders but with no coaching experience and some were already outdoor activity educators getting another qualification, the course seemed to work for all.

Relax, enjoy it, take feedback in the way it is meant, this is the first step on the coaching ladder, you’re not meant to be perfect, nor are you expected to be.

Have fun, coaching kids is great. It was pissing down last night, I really didn’t want to be outside, but 9 kids had a great time splashing around in the rain and therefore my day ended on a good note.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Waves at Shergie 😆

2tyred

Nice one, I’m doing it in January, looking forward to it!

Do they send you out the reading material in advance or do you need to go find it?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I think my main worry is that having read the coaching manuals that I haven’t digested it all and I’ll fall well short of what’s expected. I also understand that it’s not in their best interest for people to fail either.

How prepared were you when you started?

2tyred, assuming you’ve applied and paid they will then send out three coaching manuals for you to read, two level 1’s and a level 2 as well as emailing you an induction pack. I didn’t get one emailed so I contacted Phil Ball (philball@britishcycling.org.uk) and he emailed one to me.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Due to a f~ck up by Welsh Cycling I didn’t get the reading material beforehand, I didn’t die. It would have been nice to have it, but you certainly don’t need to have it committed to memory.

hammerite
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it Mulletus. If you’ve done the reading beforehand you’ve already done more than most would when turning up for the course (certainly if my course was anything to go by). I found the reading was more helpful for the coursework afterwards than the stuff covered on the 2 days.

Agree with pretty much everything else gearfreak has said.

stick_man

Has anyone also done the BC Mountain Bike Leadership level 2 course and how did it compare? (I’ve looked at the BC site, just hoping for personal experiences.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

That’s good to know gearfreak and hammerite.

There is alot in there that you can glance over but a lot geared at H&S and risk assesment that I’m not too fimiliar with.

They say bring a bike with on and off road capabilities. Will I look a knob if I turn up with my cx bike with carbon tubs? It’s the only bike I have fully bulit for the task. 😀

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The hard work starts after the initial 2 days…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What sort of thing do you need to do after the first two days? The induction pack mentions about 56 hours of work to be done. Think I might be busy over my christmas break.

carbon337
    Free Member

How did you get into these courses? Self funded?

Im keen to get into coaching but couldnt find good information anywhere.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I’ve self funded mine as it’s something I really want to do. There is funding available to certain regions which are detailed on the BC site. I was also advised to go straight to level 2 because I’m an experienced cyclist.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coaching/article/coast_level_2_award_programme_b-Level-2-Certificate-in-Coaching-Cycling–0

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coaching/article/coast_coaching_faq-FAQ

You will also need a valid 1st aid qualification too.

summitsup
    Free Member

Just waiting for my level two to come back from BC.
    If you are a keen cyclist then you will be fine. The main thing is getting your head round breaking down techniques and be able to translate that information into a session that your group can get the most out of. You get some books (Gears 1 and 2) that give you an idea of how to set sessions out and what to put in them.

I really enjoyed my course and have just finished my level 2 MTB, which was a lot more chilled as opposed to the intense general level 2. Just got to get my general level 2 signed off to start my six sessions for this.

Good time management and session planning with progression are key to getting the best out of the course.

One last thing. most of the instructors seem to be Road / track focused as the MTB level 2 is relatively new they seem to forget about it when mentioning possible progression for coaching.

Enjoy

summitsup
    Free Member

Also there was road bikes, CX bikes, MTBs and hybrids used on my course so a CX bike should be ok.

hammerite
    Free Member

We had a county sports partnership put forward funding for a couple of us from our club. But this was a few years ago before the funding was cut.

gearfreak
    Free Member

So how did you get on????

cupra
    Free Member

First 2 days are grand, paperwork is a bit of a bind but a necessary evil. Assessment day was better than I expected. Level 2 mtb course was ace fun in comparison 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘British Cycling level 2 coaching course.’ is closed to new replies.