Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Britain's most remote road
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

Any nominations?

Looking for a metalled road surface connected to mainland UK and judging by distance from nearest populated area, guessing it’s somewhere in the NW Highlands of Scotland?
    Google not being too helpful as it lists places which are actually on an island so inaccessible rather than distant from nearest habitation.

scotroutes

There’s the road to Cape Wrath lighthouse. Of course, you’d need to get ferried across the river.
    The road through Inverie on Knoydart – same applies unless you want to paddle in a packraft or push/carry from Glen Dessary.

Can you be a wee bit more specific with what you’re after (e.g. what counts as habitation)?

ton

road up to ben armine lodge is pretty deserted.

scotroutes

Have a look at roads up to reservoirs and dams. They’ll often be remote, metalled and with no habitation. Glen Cassley would be an option, or Strath Orrin, or the “private” road at the end of Loch Lyon

towzer

I’d guess Cape Wrath and Knoydart as well (Fair isle not mainland),

Allegedly most remote hotel – excellent views of large deers ears(misspelt) at brekkie

we liked the A836 (and associated roads) that was quiet, mind you so was Argyll

13thfloormonk

The road from Invergarry to Kinlochhourne is reputed to be Britain’s longest dead end road is it not? Definitely a good ride, the final descent and subsequent climb out of Kinlochhourne are pretty memorable!

I’d nominate the road along Loch Arkaig as the second longest dead end (I haven’t even bothered to check though). It’s very lumpy, my friend commented when driving it that all he could see through the windscreen was sky or tarmac, not much inbetween!

scotroutes

How about the old “Road to the Isles” between Cluanie Inn and Tomdoun? Now severed by a reservoir, it can only be ridden fully in September each year if/when the water draw-down is low enough.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/loch-loyne-and-atlantis-bridge.html

hilldodger
    Free Member

…Can you be a wee bit more specific with what you’re after (e.g. what counts as habitation)?

Really thinking how far you could practically be from potential “help” in UK if travelling by road – so at worst a house liable to answer the door to strangers, at best small shop/pub/café…..

midlifecrashes

Really thinking how far you could practically be from potential “help” in UK if travelling by road – so at worst a house liable to answer the door to strangers, at best small shop/pub/café…..

In that case, Thurnscoe, between Grimethorpe and Goldthorpe, east of Barnsley. Prepare well, take spares and pray to get through before dark.

irc

The private road at Loch Monar dam? Midway between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh. Anything further north may be closer to small coastal towns than Loch Monar is to anything.

scotroutes

Ah. Never more than 10 miles or so, unless you were specifically looking to go up some strange cul-de-sac. I did have a few “what-if” moments when I was touring Mull out of season and found that most of the (few) houses on the SW coast were holiday homes. I started to take a mental note of those I’d passed that looked to be lived in.

Glen Strathfarrar – but there are still a few houses along it.

Cougar

What’s a “metalled” road?

scotroutes

“Tarmac”

hilldodger
    Free Member

Ah. Never more than 10 miles or so, unless you were specifically looking to go up some strange cul-de-sac…..

I was guessing about 10ish miles, obviously if injured it would seem much more 🙁

scotroutes

SPOT Tracker is your friend 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

Yeah you don’t want to get caught in Thurnscoe after dark. Never mind Grimethorpe or Goldthorpe 😮

alpineharry
    Free Member

Somewhere up near Lochinver i’d imagine is rather remote, lots of singletrack roads and things.

Can’t remember the place but there’s somewhere where we got a ferry to the Summer Isles, was out on the west coast North of Ullapool somewhere

vorlich
    Free Member

Cougar » What’s a “metalled” road?
    “Tarmac”

I’ve always understood it to be more like hardpack. One grade up from typical forestry access roads. Typically full of potholes.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Can’t remember the place but there’s somewhere where we got a ferry to the Summer Isles, was out on the west coast North of Ullapool somewhere

Achiltibuie maybe? Some lovely roads round there and pretty remote – however there are individual houses dotted about the place, as there is over most of the rest of the far North West.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i always took it to mean some form of surface laid to make it hard but no attempt made to make it smooth. Like cobbles made with stones and tons of gaps

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

B869?

The A837 heading West beyond Little Assynt – looks like a outlier of the Parish of Little Happenington

irc

Look for the darkest bits?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely with the exception of military and resevoir roads, any road is probably going to go to somwhere habited? Therefore the point furthest from habitation is likely to be on a road between two places with nothing inbetween?

MrNutt
    Free Member

down here on Exmoor there is a stretch of metalised road that has no turnings, junctions or access. Apparently three farmers got together and decided to run an easier route across the moor. The farmer who owned the middle stretch of road did his section, the other two didn’t bother. does this count?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

, any road is probably going to go to somwhere habited?

Probably, yet things change ie houses become derelict, lighthouses become automated, quarries close etc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Well, by metalled I mean suitable for road bike with ‘fast’ tyres – hatching a vague plan for a long (couple of weeks) fast’n’light UK bike trip and pondering just how far you might be from a water/food refill if supplies run out.
    Figure that it’s about 10 miles, which while not necessarily comfortable is at least imaginable.

orena45

Ask on the STW equivalent for roads – roadnerds.com*. There’s currently a discussion on most remote petrol station which might help!

*it’s not actually called that 😆

scotroutes

Water isn’t usually a problem. A cereal bar would see you through 10 miles. I believe you are over-thinking it though.

CountZero

any road is probably going to go to somwhere habited?

Not necessarily, it could easily just go to industrial or farm buildings, with no inhabitants.
    As far as metalled roads are concerned, I’ve always understood the term to mean a road having a full Tarmac surface laid down, rather than just dressed or rolled stone or gravel, or cobblestones.
    Maybe Google has a definite answer…
    Seems it’s any road with a concrete or bitumen (Tarmac) coating for weatherproofing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

….I believe you are over-thinking it though.

I like to get the thinking out of the way early 😉

Drac

The road around Blindburn Northumberland is pretty remote.

athgray
    Free Member

Had a look at google maps. There appears to be a road of sorts around village bay on St Kilda. Also is there a road on Rum?

scotroutes

[quote]connected to mainland UK[/quote]

athgray
    Free Member

Thanks scotroutes. Not reading OP properly. Inverie has to be a good shout then. What about something around Campbeltown. The road there feels like the longest dead end.

irc

– hatching a vague plan for a long (couple of weeks) fast’n’light UK bike trip and pondering just how far you might be from a water/food refill if supplies run out.
    Figure that it’s about 10 miles, which while not necessarily comfortable is at least imaginable.

Further than that in the highlands. There are a few hotels in the interior of Sutherland but you can’t rely on them being open. Leaving aside hotels (maybe 1 hotel?)it’s about 40 miles from Larig to Tongue with no services.
    Even further south I cycled from Ullapool to Garve (32 miles) and the only hotel or shop, the Altguish Inn was closed in the middle of the day.
    But it isn’t a big deal carrying a few snacks for emergencies and water wouldn’t be a problem..

theblackmount
    Free Member

You’d be right about 10 miles – hardly an issue on a road bike.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Britain's most remote road’ is closed to new replies.