Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bristol – where to picnic on Clifton Downs
  • ugarizza
    Free Member

Looking for a spot with easy parking, short walk to downs and near one of the public toilets as they’ll be kids in tow.

Anyone got any ideas? I’ve no idea what the parking is like around there.

Thanks…

wallop

Park near the watertower on Stoke Road and you’ll be near a toilet. Parking is unrestricted.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks wallop! Do you think it will be busy this Sunday at around lunchtime for parking? Don’t mind walking 5-10 mins but got kids and lots of stuff.

wallop

If the weather is nice it will be busy, for sure, but I should imagine you’ll be able to park somewhere. There are literally miles of road around the Downs.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer wallop. Cheers!

wallop

No probs 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

wallop is spot on. You shouldn’t have too much of a struggle finding parking around there. There’s also a coffee shop just beside the water tower in case you need some hot drinks or cake.

bonchance
    Free Member

Agree with above – with proviso;

Do you want Clifton or Durdham down?

Water Tower = Durdham (commonly known as the ‘downs’)
    Clifton (often) = Suspension bridge vicinity

Another suggestion: Highest point of Clifton down has great views – search camera Obscura above the suspension bridge for location.

–room to kick a ball, unrestricted parking, ice cream van nearby & pretty close to Suspension bridge public toilet

Bonus for parents of younger children: there is also a new (and thoroughly excellent!) play area and the ‘rock slide’ just below it

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks both!

Bonchance, that sounds good, really good. Got loads of kids with us.
    Which streets near there would you aim for first for parking?
    I was looking at the map, would Sion Hill be OK?

bonchance
    Free Member

Clifton down road; around about junction of Percival road – is currently unrestricted for a reasonable section. It’s a good bet; once on foot head uphill and follow the steepest path to right at the fork – throuhg the trees (great view down to Seawalls 🙂 to right ).

Sion hill worth a try as well or lower down near Harley place.. both are a short walk uphill to the observatory/obscura.

Depends on weather and time of day a bit..

ugarizza
    Free Member

Merci bonchance!

At the risk of stretching your goodwill, just one last question please!

Where is kid park and toilet, if we head to the obscura will we see it?

bonchance
    Free Member

You can spot the ‘rock slide’ looking downhill towards the bridge from the front door of Obscura. Play area is hidden from view but just around on left hand (heading downhill)

Not sure if this google earth link will work ok;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Clifton/@51.4563134,-2.6251255,145m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x48718db6548db6d7:0xedd41f08a4018999

play area is the brown splodge (upgraded since). loos are the building below at the road side..

May the sun shine!

Moses

What do you want to do there?
    Do NOT try to park on Sion Hill, you’ll be driving aronnd getting stressed. It’s really hard to find a spot there, as it’s all flats. Look at a satellite view to see what I mean.
    If you want to go to the play area, the bridge, slide & camp areas, then park on Clifton Down (the road) opposite Percival Rd or nearby. There are loos near the bridge.
    Otherwise, I suggest the Circular Road, near the edge of the gorge, close to where the other loos & ice-cream van are.

Edit: sorry – Bonchance gave exactly the same advice as me, but earlier. Which shows we are right. 🙂

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thank you chaps! It’s great to have these answers from you.
    Cheers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bristol – where to picnic on Clifton Downs’ is closed to new replies.