Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bristol – waste soil tipping in field adjacent to 50 Acre Wood
  • noteeth
    Free Member

Beautiful day yesterday, so went for a much-overdue ride of the local trails… and couldn’t help but notice the huge numbers of spoil trucks pitching up to the field adjacent to 50 Acre (next to the bit where Young Bristol have their bushcraft area)… is that field now a designated dump site? Or are there other plans for it?

Needless to say, it wasn’t quite as peaceful a scene as I remember.

ransos
    Free Member

If you think it’s flytipping it might be worth reporting – I think that area is within N. Somerset’s jurisdiction.

noteeth
    Free Member

It was way more than flytipping – huge piles of waste soil, earth movers and heavy traffic.

It looked like “official” dumping, if that makes sense – for a moment, I thought they’d opened a new quarry!

robdob
    Free Member

Report it to the Environment Agency pronto, it might be illegal.

Would be worth checking their public registers first (online) if you know the approx post code, see if there has been any waste exemptions registered (low risk waste activities that are free to register but a lot are abused).

robdob
    Free Member

Ransos – council will only be concerned about human health or planning issues, report to EA first is best bet.

awh
    Free Member

We saw this last week. It’s definitely more than just fly-tipping, we thought the lorries were taking stuff away rather than tipping it there – admittedly we were trying to ignore all the noise and activity so could be wrong.

Leku
    Free Member

planning application 11/P/1449/F (Proposed creation of new access, revised internal access road and relocation of adult pitch)

It has planning. Playing fields for posh kids.

http://wam.n-somerset.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/showCaseFile.do;jsessionid=C0D05B98425A937750F3C3457B3C108F?action=show&appType=Planning&appNumber=12/P/1252/MMA

xyeti
    Free Member

Is it near that new road that was being built? Part of their commitment to the community after ripping up all the ice age Fertile soil on the allotments and bulldozing through the SSSI designated land was to put some back, as well as the Cycle infrastructure, how are the new Cycle routes around there?

Leku
    Free Member

This is off Beggar Bush Lane. Nothing to do with new by-pass or bus route. It’s ground works for playing fields.

andysredmini
    Free Member

It’s quite normal for land owners to get approval for dumping of dirt on their land. There is a piece of land by my where we used to build Bmx jumps that the owner got permission for soil dumping. It’s now about 5m higher than it was before and at the moment cut up by digger tracks. It’s only dirt though and nature will do its thing and I’m sure the next generation of kids will find a use for it. I heard he was getting £800 per truck load and he had them queuing to get in last time I saw. Fair play to him I say.

robdob
    Free Member

They might have planning but you can’t just use waste soil from anywhere to change the profile of the land. Only certain amounts are allowed and it has to pass certain criteria. Report to EA just in case so they can check.

MrAgreeable

A while ago a fair amount of spoil was tipped next to the Young Bristol site to create a new access road, so I guess this is the next phase.

noteeth
    Free Member

Ah, thanks all. That will be it.

Playing fields, eh? What’s wrong with just using jumpers for goalposts? 🙂

PH1

……£800 per load no way! What idiots make up these rumours, people need to get the facts right before making such spurious statements…typical daliy mail readers! They are probably getting a free tip for clean muckaway. Nevertheless the people making the new pitch probably have the permisson to do it, dont bother the EA they have enough to do just simply check the planning.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Not allowed headers anymore, so I guess jumpers could be tripping hazardish. (was a response to NoTeeth, slowcidertyping)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Riding past this today annoyed me enough to find out what they’re building. Looks horrible:

The little red arrows show the trail, but you knew that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bristol – waste soil tipping in field adjacent to 50 Acre Wood’ is closed to new replies.