Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bristol trail day on Saturday – Bike Fest course needs sorting!
  • MrAgreeable

I’ve just got in from riding the Bristol Bike Fest course and it’s not looking its best. There are some sections that have turned into mini-swamps following the recent rain, while others are so ditched out that you end up taking ridiculous twisty lines to avoid the holes.

We’ve organised a trail repair day on Saturday in co-operation with the Estate and it would be really good if we could get as many people out as possible – particularly as it’s now looking unikely that the Estate will be able to do any work before the race themselves.

There will be tools and materials for you to use, and we’re having a barbecue afterwards, plus a prize draw to win riding gear, and entries to the Merida MTB Marathon series and Kona Mash-Up, courtesy of the lovely people at Paligap, Merida and Continental UK (cheers to Joxster for the hook-up with the last one).

We’re out from 10.00 am until late afternoon but any help is welcome, even if you just want to stop-off mid-ride.

For more details check out http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com or mail me via the link in my profile.

AmyYoung
    Free Member

Why are you avoiding the holes? That’s part of the fun! Take the straight line through the middle of the holes!

Eccles
    Free Member

Have you seen the holes? There’s one that they have to put scaffolding over…

Sadly can’t make it, but build something that’ll make a singlespeedy luddlites life a misery by lap 10 in my name, would you? A line of horribly spaced square edged rocks, with a ‘stopper’ a couple of feet back so you can’t manual over them, for example 😀

MrAgreeable

Yep. Fun. 🙄

MrAgreeable

Eccles, I am a singlespeedy luddite this year. It’s a choice between a silly heavy bike, a ridiculously silly heavy bike, or something with rigid forks and rusty v-brakes. 🙂

Earl
    Free Member

Mr A
    It cost money to enter the bikefest. How come it is up to volunteers to get the trail ready?

(And sorry I’ve only been to one dig so far – will try for more this summer.)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Mr A
    It cost money to enter the bikefest. How come it is up to volunteers to get the trail ready?

(And sorry I’ve only been to one dig so far – will try for more this summer.)

Admin, Marshals, toilets. showers, water, insurance, medics, advertising, number boards, refuse add all this to the heavily increased fee by the estate (read from hundreds to thousands)

That’s where the money is.

MrAgreeable

Earl, put simply it would require a huge amount of money to get the trail worked on by professionals. Think £20 per metre and upwards, for a 9 km course. The Bike Fest is a popular event but it doesn’t make that much money. They do give us a donation each year though.

In previous years the Ashton Court Estate have got their in-house contractors to work on the course but that isn’t looking likely this year as there are other works round the estate that need doing urgently. The bad sections are pretty minor really and we should be able to have a good go at them this weekend.

Oh and if you’ve come out digging already thanks very much – if everyone who rides in Bristol came out once a year, the trails would be looking amazing.

pjt201
    Free Member

Sorry Anthony, can’t make it this weekend. I was out last night and there were some bits that could be interesting on the day.

Will definitely try and make it to another dig day soon though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I shall be doing multiple laps on Sat on prep for next weekend, so I should be able to shift a couple of handfuls of gravel in my jersey pockets from A to B for you.

😉

MrAgreeable

Speaking of funding for the trails, have a look here. We’re due another update, and I think it’s going to be interesting. 🙂

http://www.1sw.org.uk/

Just had a call from the ranger, we’re going to have about three tonnes of stone to fix up the Abbots Leigh Road section of the trail and there are more piles round the estate so we should be able to have a splinter group working on the Quarry Trail/Keeper’s Wood as well!

MrAgreeable

And I’ve just had a call from the quarry – more stone on the way!

And just to confirm, Mikey from Merida has given us 6 event entries in total to give away – three to the MTB Marathon series and three to the Kona Mashup. They’re transferable so you can pick which date you want to do.

ianpinder
    Free Member

i’ll come, though i have my end of uni ball starting at 2 but i can get a couple of hours in before. where do we meet what do i need to bring

MrAgreeable

10 am at the golf course cafe, or wander along the trail from the gatehouse in the “official” direction until you bump into us.

You don’t need to bring anything apart from your bad self, but old clothes and shoes with grippy soles are a good idea. Although I’ll personally make sure you win the prize draw if you turn up in your DJ.

🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

now now, we wouldnt want to cheat. i’ll see you tomorrow….

MrAgreeable

Cool.

Kingtut, shouldn’t you be working on your taper?

MrAgreeable

That was ace! Loads of trail fixed, loads of food eaten, loads of swag given out. Thanks to everyone who came along and helped. I rode the trail this evening and the contrast with Thursday was astonishing, and not just because the weather’s being kind.

A chap called Adam came along to take some photos as part of a project he’s doing on cycling in Bristol. They came out very well indeed and can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamscott5/sets/72157618974874315/

MrAgreeable

Ian, if you’re reading this, can you send me your email?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I take my hat of to all of you, you did a fantastic job, I was back up there again on Sunday and all your work is settling in nicely.

Thanks for the beers on Sat as well Ant.

MrAgreeable

No worries Mike, you looked like you needed some post-training recovery drink. 😉

All being well, that gopping section in the middle wood (by the big metal sculpture) is going to be given a going over by Bristol City Council contractors this week, so come Bike Fest the trail should be in better nick than it’s been for ages. 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

All being well, that gopping section in the middle wood (by the big metal sculpture) is going to be given a going over by Bristol City Council contractors this week, so come Bike Fest the trail should be in better nick than it’s been for ages

Good work, even without any work that section would have been OK, should be tiketty boo now.

youngj1
    Free Member

Bummer –

Looks like I missed the fun bit….. all that hard work, and no food

🙁

MrAgreeable

Jimmy, because you had to nash off early we saved you a prize from the giveaway. I’ll bring it along next weekend!

Taz

Ant

Top effort again mate.

Always struggle to get out to physically help but will send another donation and try to make at least one more day soon.

Your efforts are much appreciated 😀

MrAgreeable

Thanks Taz!

The next mission is to sort out the rest of the trail in 50 Acre Wood. This probably won’t happen for a few weeks as I’m busy this month and we also need to get hold of a power barrow again, as the bad sections are miles from the stone.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bristol trail day on Saturday – Bike Fest course needs sorting!’ is closed to new replies.