• This topic has 210 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 211 total)
  • Bristol plans development of the Timberland Trail etc
  • clubber
    Free Member

C’mon TooTall – raise a smile, IME, the new stuff is great on a 29er… surely that makes you happy 😀

MikeT
    Free Member

Yes it needs work, but just don’t smooth it over!

GaryLake
    Free Member

One point that has been missed is that the trails had to be built this way or we risked loosing them all together on environmental grounds. I love the new trails but even if I was luke warm, I’d prefer them to being outlawed from AC.

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/blog/bristol-trail-redevelopment-kicks-off.htm

MrAgreeable

Re the direction point, the new trails are being built to flow better in a certain direction. For example, the uphill arm of the quarry trail has shallower berms and wiggles about a lot more than it used to. The downhill arm has massive berms, direction specific features like rock steps, and a little hill at the start to launch you into the first section.

I’d expect some people to ride the wrong way initially out of curiosity, or for old time’s sake, but if it’s more fun the official way then that will be the way most people will ride.

clubber
    Free Member

One point that has been missed is that the trails had to be built this way or we risked loosing them all together on environmental grounds

The article says the risk was because the trails were getting wider (and encroaching on the orchids I’ve never noticed – will have a look for them next ride) – I’m not sure that that’s really true – I’ve been riding them for 15+ years and the lines have certainly changed but fundamentally the trails went between certain trees and stayed there, not actually getting wider beyond that gap between the trees – eg they didn’t encroach any more land.

clubber
    Free Member

Mr_A on direction, my understanding is that BBL is going to still be designated as uphill in which case people will always ride it the ‘wrong’ way as we have done for years after it was ‘officially’ made the wrong way with the advent of the TT.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Clubber are you for real?? I’ve been riding there the last 10 years and the quarry loop in particular has gotten pretty motorway-ish. And there were plenty of spots on Upper quarry where there were 3 lines around trees with a fourth developing. Same on BBL.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable: If the direction issue isn’t address, you may well end up with some public liability issues on your (I say yours, when I actually mean whoever is responsible) hands when someone clatters into someone else and then a smartarse lawyer picks up on it.

Adding to that, its bloody fustrating normally, but now its likely to be even worse, especially as the trail is ‘thinner’

That artice that poster above linked to is very good – thanks!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

BBL? (sorry, I’ve been riding them for years and never been told the names).

clubber
    Free Member

Clubber are you for real??

Well it’s debateable 🙂

I think you’ve misunderstood what I wrote or that I wasn’t clear enough – I agree that the trail itself has widened but the area that it covers is bounded by certain trees and the trails don’t go beyond them – so while lower quarry was say 1m wide originally, it was expanding up to 2 or 3m wide but still between those trees and so it wasn’t getting wider beyond that eg it limited itself.

BBL = Beggar Bush Lane

MrAgreeable

Clubber raises a good point. If you are an old skool wheels on the ground sort of rider then some new techniques may have to be learned before you can rule the new trails.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ok but the effect is still a widening and a lack of planning permission in a sensitive area, everything your typical anti-lobbyist needs! 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a bit behind. Is everything open now? Might go out after lunch

MrAgreeable

Clubber, the trail was massively wide in places. The end of the open section by the eventing field for example. I haven’t seen the reports that the ecologists prepared but apparently they were having kittens. We used to have to spend quite a lot of time at trail days just narrowing down the corridor and closing off the new lines made by people who couldn’t be bothered to go round corners.

MrAgreeable

Neil did you even read what I wrote about direction above? In any event the direction issue has gone unaddressed for years and the estate haven’t been deluged with liability claims.

Milkie
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden the new trails yet, only seen them as they were closed in prep for BBF.

When I stopped a few 3 lots of new/beginner riders asked me which bits were closed, so I got talking to them. Apparently they were quite worried about the riders coming head on, I told them people should soon be going the same way. I tried re-assure them that most mountain bikes have damn good brakes, one of the replies was “so why dont they use them then”. They also were not sure if they were going the right way, they were.

I don’t have much of a problem with people going the wrong way, as long as they acknowledge you’ve moved over for them. If it’s now going to be one way, I won’t be moving out the way for the muppets still going the wrong way, they can go the wrong way, they will just have to give way to all the traffic now.

Hope the rain holds off for 4pm tomorrow, so I can ride the AC trails, must try and find LH 😳

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I did yes, and I do see what you’re saying.

However Mr and Mrs Miggins and their young daughter may not – and may well be pretty aggrieved when someone rounds one of the faster sections.

By increasing the traffic and accessibility to Ashton Court there is a bigger breadth of responsibility – by building man made purpose built trails and, indeed, a trail centre cafe, someone must be taking responsibility for the running and overseeing of the trails, and in turn they take on the public liability and H&S overhead. Look at what happened at Stil as an example.

Whereas before, all the trails were unofficial (to a degree) and they were VERY clearly ride at your own risk – which is very hard to enforce – and even harder when a trail becomes purpose built rather than naturally.

I’m happy with everybody using the trail – it’s great – but I’d hate to start having people shouting at me for razzing down it the right way because of their own ignorance.

It has to be handled somehow – Cwmcarn/Afan doesn’t suffer this because Mr and Mrs Miggins and their young daughter don’t ever consider riding it!

I’m not getting funny with anyone in particular – but I know it confuses the hell out of me when I start seeing two way traffic – am I going the wrong way or are they? Or is it free for all now?

If it’s free for all, then the speeds and visibility on the trail need to be considered as some nasty accidents could be occuring soon from some of the raceheads that have ALREADY decided that they’re going to use the Qaurry track as their own personal training ground:

We rode there the other day and were astounded by the lad who, after putting his saddle down to hit the trail (by which time we’d just ridden ahead of him whilst he did that), he skidded to a halt at the end of the trail (ripping up the good work already done on the trail), triggered his stop watch and then did that ‘Look at me, I’m cool, but I’m angry at myself that I didn’t better my best time’ shake of the head.

They, I’m sorry to say, are going to be the ones who clatter Mr and Mrs Miggins and their young daughter – not the majority of us here.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

ETA also, Mr and Mrs Miggins and their young daughter don’t read this forum. Nor will they likely bother to read any website info or whatever – so it needs to be trailside info IMHO.

richc
    Free Member

The quarry trail is going to be knackered very very quickly by the muppets skid everywhere anyway, so I guess it will slow people down in the long run anyway. I saw one group who appeared to be seeing who could do the longest skid, at the end of the quarry section 🙁

Perhaps a ‘keep the skids in your trousers’ poster/notice is needed at either end of the trail.

rondo101
    Free Member

I’m a bit behind. Is everything open now? Might go out after lunch

Nope. Quarry trails closed for repair of BBF wear and to change a few bits to sort the flow out. New Barn wood closed (both the new red trail and the old rocky section). Singletrack from bombhole by the monument to the quarry trails closed for trail to bed in.

Pretty sure BBL is still open, but most of the other stuff is not. Of course there’s still d*ckheads riding it, using the “but they didn’t consult me” argument (true story).

MrAgreeable

They’re putting in new, clearer signage too. You seem to think that no-one has thought of these issues…

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

To be fair Mr Agreeable, that was all you had to say in the first place 😕

If that’s the case, then great – if someone gets arsey, we can at least have some form of evidential way of saying “RTFM”

SOAP
    Free Member

Are the trails fully open yet and Is there a map at the start of the trail
    Think the last time I rode there I went the wrong way! Quarry on the right hand side slightly up hill.
    Has anyone got a route/map/gps/picture linking AC , 50Acre and Leigh woods together ?

Milkie
    Free Member

GEOFF1, 3 posts above yours! 😉

MrAgreeable

For maps see http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com. For news on closures and building, bookmark 1sw or Architrail on twitter. Easy!

SOAP
    Free Member

Cool but all the trail names mean nothing to a non local and I didn’t see any signs before the work started.
    So I’ll wait a couple more weeks then?

rondo101
    Free Member

Work was supposed to be carried out March – June in AC, but didn’t actually start until 3 May. I’d assume, therefore, that work won’t be finished until August.

racemonkey

Read this over quite a few times now and still keep coming back to the same things about Ashton Court as a whole and not just the bike trail.

There’s concern over SSSI’s and land that needs to be protected. I would love to see a map of the whole estate to actually find out where these places are as there are no signs/maps I can ever recall seeing (and I’ve been a regular visitor for getting on for 40 years – South Bristol lad me).

The powers that be were quite happy to cut down the big Redwoods in front of the house (aren’t trees protected) because it suited them. Oh and it made the views better from the outdoor seating area from the new cafe.

New car park at the top of Kennel Lodge road – next to cafe.

New family cycle trail- accesible from top car park – next to new cafe.

If I was being cynical I’d suggest someone has thought about where a new revenue stream could be generated.

I really do hope that when the new trail has bedded in it becomes more interesting beacause after 11 laps at the bikefest I was properly bored of the twisty lower quarry trail.

I’m also aware that it couldn’t continue as it was and I don’t think you can praise the Bristol trails group enough for the work they’ve done but at least with the old muddy trails you had to think and pick a line.

Sorry rant over.

MrAgreeable

The trails are going to be completed by the end of July, but will probably stay closed for a bit longer so they can bed in.

Geoff, the maps on our website use Google, so if you click ‘show labels’ and zoom out a bit you should be able to get an idea of where everything is.

MrAgreeable

Racemonkey, have a look at http://www.natureonthemap.naturalEngland.org.uk.

Having a revenue stream from the new trails is definitely a big part of the plan. The way things were previously, the trail was dependent on volunteers fixing it for free, over and over again. The new trails aren’t going to need as much maintenance and hopefully when they do there will be a proper budget in place.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well I like it. Give it a year or two to bed in a bit and it’ll be ace.

The ‘old’ trails had all but diappeared under the relentless traffic anyway.

Still amused that a bunch of randoms on a forum are having to digest and regurgitate publically availible information for other lazier randoms.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Rode the trail again last night on my way home and once I got to the Upper Quarry I was pleased to see that some needed tweaks to the trail have been put in place – closing off the straight lines that had appeared and sorting out the first ‘hill’ into it (leveling it out, as you fell into the fence if you weren’t concentrating).

Top work whomever did that 🙂

Although, it is disappointing to watch riders STILL riding around the closed sections and on the new unopened parts of the trail.

However, I like what I see in some parts of the new trails, but also am sad to see the really rooty rocky short DH section to the bottom of the Quarry has been smoothed over 🙁

richc
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did they do that! it was on only remotely technical bit in there!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I have no idea – I agree with you – it was a hoot to ride down and I saw some awesome slams in front of me down it on the Sunday at Bikefest.

MikeT
    Free Member

However, I like what I see in some parts of the new trails, but also am sad to see the really rooty rocky short DH section to the bottom of the Quarry has been smoothed over

That is bad news, that section was excellent for making sure I had my forks set up right.

Leku
    Free Member

Quarry section shut this morning ‘for maintenance’.

woody74

At the end of the day AC has become f*cked over the years just simply because of the amount of riders. The quarry trail used to be sweat single track trail instead of the diveted mudfess it was, even with all the sterling work of the trail building group. Not only was AC generally crap to ride it was looking a bloody mess which must have just wound up the AC authorities. We now have a whole bunch of cash and a brand new trail that might not be to everyones liking but doesn’t half sort out the long term issues (drainage, mud). Leigh Woods is in an even worse state and looks terrible (granted them chopping a whole load of trees down hasn’t helped). Mountain biking is meant to be about getting one with nature not wrecking the place. Hopefully the new trail in LW will divert people off the old trails and let them repair.

My view is that mountain biking in AC and LW is not possible long term wise with such large numbers of riders without these new types of trail getting built. I think riders that remember the old days with lovely narrow single track just have to take off the rose tinted glasses and realise that its no more and AC was just trashed. I also have a massive respect for everyone that has organised these developments as even if you don’t like the trail style at least they are getting off their arses and doing something about it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

woody+1

thebunk

Well said that man.

nickegg
    Free Member

Woody…Thank you for prefectly summing up what i couldn’t be bothered to type!!!

The negativity from some baffles me. Nothing in AC was remotely technical anyway IMO and all the really good stuff in LW will remain untouched so what’s the problem.

In AC the council have an obligation to provide a trail that’s fun and rideable for all, that’s what’s been achieved. If you don’t like them, then go ride elsewhere. Simple as that.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Bristol plans development of the Timberland Trail etc’ is closed to new replies.