• This topic has 210 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 211 total)
  • Bristol plans development of the Timberland Trail etc
  • Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/two-new-mountain-bike-trails-for-bristol-28881

IMHO this is a bad move by Bristol, and will ruin the already pretty sanitized trail that is there.

They will end up sanitising the trail far more than they already have and it will just become a tow path type trail.

Plus, it’ll not be able to cope with the traffic it’ll end up getting, as people don’t stick to the one way direction that it would need to make it worth riding. You’ll end up stopping every five seconds to let someone coming the opposite way through.

It’ll be the death of that area, and will only end up with people taking more unauthorised routes, thus damaging the surrounding area even more.

They haven’t consulted any of the mountain bikers who actually ride it or know what needs doing.

What does everyone else think?

Baldysquirt

I think whoever let that “artist’s impression” of the new centre get into the public domain should be fired.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

FWIW the trails haven’t been ‘sanitized’ at all, people still ride what was there 15 years ago. Repairs have been made by a very small group of unpaid VOLUNTEERS. The traffic is even now so high we can never keep up with the repairs needed.

The trails seriously need investment and a durable surface put in throughout – this is exactly what they propose to do. IMO the whole trail network is so shagged out, this is the only thing that can save them. It will no longer the 100% natural, but it might be less of a rutted battered blown out multiple line hub-depth quagmire with no flow. AC has insufficient topography to super techy uber gnarl – those trails in LW that have this will be left untouched.

But we will get a trail with some decent flow that will stand up to the abuse they get. We’ve been told we will not get a motorway – sweet twisty singletrack will remain.

I was seriously annoyed with the hawthorns section when those contractors came in and whacker-plated. But there was no other way to fix it up before the bike fest. Now its one of the only sections in AC that has really decent flow and the trail has blended back into the trees, which are still frighteningly close when you’re pushing on.

The guy doing the work is world class, a local rider himself, and streets ahead of some disinterested council workers with a whacker plate. I have every expectation what he will produce will be good.

So I welcome it. Anything is better than the mess up there at the mo.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They haven’t consulted any of the mountain bikers who actually ride it or know what needs doing.

Oh and this isn’t true either – I was at the meeting where they spent a long time getting our views. The room was full of bristol riders. Well the ones that could be bother to turn up – not to dissimilar to the small party that turn up to fix the trails.
    http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/component/agora/topic?id=43
    http://www.bristolmountainbikeclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=801
    http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/news/160-1sw-projectbristol

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They will end up sanitising the trail far more than they already have

Are you sure you ride the Bristol trails, sanitised? They are ****.

racemonkey

From what I can see of the proposals the official route in Ashton Court will become easier but the (Timberland) trail in 50 acre wood isn’t being touched.
    As I understand it Leigh Woods has always been officially a prohibited area for cycling but it’s never been rigourously policed so to get a proper trail and a skills area in there is good news.

I personaaly like Ashton Court as it is as I think the slippy muddy sections combined with all the roots that criss cross the trail make it interesting and just technical enough make you concentrate when riding without needing armour and as was pointed out above it’s not got enough height loss / gain for some techy black downhill route.

Saying that my daughter wants to ride around the loop at Ashton Court and as it is I think there’s some sections she couldn’t manage (I maybe being an overprotective dad though).

If protecting / rebuilding / re-modeling the current loop a bit encourages more people to ride then it’s got to be good surely, as in my view, once there was a dedicated route in place people would be expected to ONLY ride this and not the other places like the downhill by the “summer house” and that’s why I think the current route is so heavily used and worn out.

I think it’s quite a complex issue and in this case it’s not been helped by Bristol being a “cycling city” as the council etc have to please everyone and justify money spent and probably need to show that “their” off road route through their favourite public park is accessible to all and not just a few scruffy mtbers.

Oh and seriously a BIG thanks to the BTG for spending their free time to keep the trails up together.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

More nearby all-weather trails sounds good to me.

TooTall
    Free Member

Ashton Court and Leigh Woods are practically on the doorstep of a very large city centre. The trails there get hammered 12 months of the year, so they suffer pretty badly. You will never have pristine singletrack in such a location – there isn’t any there now! It has to be a good thing and I agree with everything ADH has said (the shame).

chiefgrooveguru

It sounds great to me – nothing worse than overuse turning trails into unrideable quagmires. Particularly keen on the pump track, beginner jumps and skills area bits!

ianpv
    Free Member

I think this is great news. The flat xc trails around AC desperately need something. I only ride them when they they’re either frozen or in high summer.
    The rest of the time I can’t be bothered. Will a modicum of selfcontrol from riders, these new developments should take traffic off the good natural trails in wet weather, meaning that the good trails stay good for longer. Of course, most people will probably continue to knacker the good trails in the wet, even when this alternative is available…

There has been ample consultation with those with even a passing interest in the trails in AC, and the trailbuilder is a good choice. Well done Bristol I say!

ridingscared
    Free Member

Phil Saxena doesn’t make a habit of ‘sanitising’ tracks or trails and as said this will make the trails rideable all year hopefully. Theres so much moaning that no money is being spent then when Bristol stump up the cash, involve the local community and employ a world class trail builder thats not good enough either. If it means I have a trail centre on my doorstep that not only pro level xc’ers but myself and my kids can ride year round then bring it on.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Have you seen the stupid comments on the this is bristol site?

400,000 for mountain bike trails. Is the world going mad?

I presume that the people who use them will be charged to try and recoup some cash or will it simply be funded by the motorist?

sounds like they have their very own TJ as well. He’s called George 😀

ridingscared
    Free Member

and like theres anyone actually called Timothy living in Bedminster.

flashes
    Free Member

I’m in 2 minds, I don’t like gravelled paths but riding in Leigh Woods Tuesday night meant sticking to the fire roads, as the trails are pure mud, the AC trail is even worse, at least I would be able to ride all year round and Monday Cheesy rides could support normal numbers…

singletracksurfer

good news. lots of other trails if you don’t want to ride theirs.
    something for everyone and a cafe. Great.

just gutted I don’t live in Brizol anymore.

backhander
    Free Member

Bit early to make assumptions IMO.
    I’ll just wish mr saxena the best of luck. I’ve only ridden AC/LW twice. Didn’t like it but look forward to trying again after the work.

TooTall
    Free Member

noteeth
    Free Member

Bit early to make assumptions IMO.
    I’ll just wish mr saxena the best of luck

Indeed.

I used to ride in LW & surrounding environs pretty much every day (ah, the beauty of shiftwork) during the summer/autumn… & avoided it religiously during winter. And I grew up on Mendip – where the mud eats bikes.

I can’t wait to be back.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

There will be (hopefully) all season semi-technical trails which Bristol really needs, and the other, old, “interesting” stuff will still be there for those who know where it is to ride.

I struggle to see anything negative in all this.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

When are you back noteeth?

noteeth
    Free Member

When are you back noteeth?

Summer, if all goes to plan…

First opportunity I get, I’m riding out to Blackdown & up to the Trig point.

And then I’ll sit there for a while. 😀

Phototim
    Free Member

and like theres anyone actually called Timothy living in Bedminster.

erm…. 🙄

I know one of the guys on the build team, he races WC 4x so knows a fair bit about making a nice trail that flows yo. All good as far as I’m concerned, shame I won’t be around to enjoy it 🙁

longwayhome
    Free Member

Personally I’m with the OP and racemonkey on this one, I like AC the way it is – rutted and rooty and technical – I just don’t go up there when it’s wet. Mind you, you need a few idiots who do to make it what it is.

The problem is that the Timberland Trail already covers most of the wooded area (that’s not deer enclosure) in AC so there’s little latitude for additional bits off the main route.

LW on the other hand is a vast wooded area with tracks all over the place, all of which are a bit permissive. Here an official route would legitimise mountain biking in the woods whilst allowing harder, off-piste additions. It would also link in with the easy motorway down to Paradise Bottom and the cycle track along the river.

If it means I have a trail centre on my doorstep that not only pro level xc’ers but myself and my kids can ride …

ridingscared

I can’t see that happening, they’re blue trails remember.

MrAgreeable

I’ve missed all this as usual because I can’t get on the forum at work, but just to clarify a few points:

– The trail at the moment has terrible problems with drainage and soil type in particular, and has had needed regular work over the past 4-5 years to keep it running. This has all been undertaken by volunteers, as ADH says – a situation that can’t really continue indefinitely.

– The trails are going to be a mix of blue, red and skills area. To be honest I think all the current official trails would be graded as blue if they weren’t in such an awful state for the wetter months of the year.

– There are some other projects in the works that will complement the main trails, such as the pump and jump track on the way to the trails, and it also looks likely (although not definite) that Still is going to reopen as a DH venue. Also the trail in 50 Acre is going to stay natural and there may be scope to develop other places as riding spots too.

– Even if you don’t think the development plan is catering to most riders’ needs, it makes much more sense to start with something accessible and build on it, rather than risk creating a white elephant which only a few riders will use.

– Leigh Woods is really crying out for an official trail. It has a reputation as a great place to ride, but the number of completely knackered trails there has grown over the past few years as it becomes a victim of its own popularity. The ones in the worst state (which are almost certainly the ones that get the most use) are the gentle flowy trails across the top of the wood, not the scary steep stuff.

– When you’re consulting for a project like this, it’s nigh-on impossible to involve everyone.

– The design for the trail isn’t planned out to the last detail, and there is plenty of scope for tweaking as the builders figure out what works where.

If anyone’s got any specific questions, feel free to drop me an email. I’m not on the design team, I just co-ordinate the volunteer repair efforts, but to his credit the designer has tried to actively involve the volunteers in the design process as much as possible, so I feel pretty clued up (not to mention optimistic) about the project.

Cheers

Antony

longwayhome
    Free Member

Have to reply to this

The trails are going to be a mix of blue, red and skills area

From the published plans the proposed trails appear to be 90% blue with a small red section each in AC and LW and a skills area in LW. That’s not much of a mix.

To be honest I think all the current official trails would be graded as blue if they weren’t in such an awful state for the wetter months of the year.

Yes, so they’re probably about red as they are. Nice!

There are some other projects in the works that will complement the main trails, such as the pump and jump track on the way to the trails, and it also looks likely (although not definite) that Still is going to reopen as a DH venue.

I (and I think others) don’t want pump or jump or downhill, I want a continuous red graded trail. Like AC is at the moment!

rather than risk creating a white elephant which only a few riders will use.

I don’t think there’s any chance the existing track in AC would ever become an unused white elephant.

Leigh Woods is really crying out for an official trail….

Here we agree.

Finally …

Even if you don’t think the development plan is catering to most riders’ needs, it makes much more sense to start with something accessible and build on it

Why? Why take away people’s amenity? AC’s only problem is overpopularity, which would be relieved by having an easier, all-weather route in LW. And as stated above, there’s not much room for alternatives in AC.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

noteeth: “First opportunity I get, I’m riding out to Blackdown & up to the Trig point.”

Alert the locals nearer the time and we’ll help you celebrate your return.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Still Woods was the biggest loss to bristol riding, that place was special 🙁

The timberland trail? its a bit dull, I can only imagine that the addition of hard packed sanitized trails will be erm, good for emptying the dog along?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I want a continuous red graded trail. Like AC is at the moment!

Eh? A few roots do not a red trail make. In the dry I commute in on it on my slicked-up road bike FFS.

Some people really will look a gift horse in the mouth.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Eh? A few roots do not a red trail make. In the dry I commute in on it on my slicked-up road bike FFS.

You Sir are rad to the power of sick.

MrNutt
    Free Member

did you know that phrase comes from the fact that you can gain a reasonable idea of a horses age by looking at how much of their teeth are showing, you’ll probably also be familiar with the phrase “long in the tooth” and again that’s of a similar origin. So in essence, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth as you may find something a little disappointing if you peer too deep.

so there we go, there end the lesson.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

This thread highlights the Bristolian attitude to sport in the City, no consensus and so nothing gets done. I’m pretty happy with the plans, some reservations that the trail appears to be 95% blue, but looking forwards to a pump track and jumps area (for over 30s please, no intimiding yoofs!).

The cafe will be a great edition, hopefully with a more cheery proprietor and no “no muddy bikers” signs…

My main worry would be if the unofficial trails in Leigh Woods were closed to bikes, I dont think that would be the case though, the Knicker Trail etc should main open. As pointed out, LW is a mud fest right now (no surprise I know) and unrideable in parts.

But, I’ll believe it when I see it, cant believe this is going to be done by the end of the summer….

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Being as I am, rad to the power of sick, I am well aware of the origins of the phrase.

Its a gift, even if you’re going to boil it for glue, you’re still quids-in.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I owned (by default) a racehorse once, it cost me many, many £’s to look after, If I had sold it for glue it still would have owed me many, many £’s.

longwayhome
    Free Member

Eh? A few roots do not a red trail make.

Magenta then! It’s certainly a bit more than blue, which was my point.

Not if they’ve taken away your thoroughbred and given you an old nag, which again, was my point.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I agree with magenta in present state. But they want a blue trail with red bits in it. Fair enough.

longwayhome
    Free Member

But they want a blue trail with red bits in it.

Have you seen the plans? They want a blue trail with a tiny bit of red for decoration.

(Link for larger map)

ianpv
    Free Member

I’m just baffled that there are people that enjoy riding AC in the wet. Even compared to 2004 when I moved to Bristol, it is now totally trashed. Flat trails with big wet holes in them are just no fun to me. Anthony and team’s fantastic efforts mean that the trails are still pretty good in the dry, but I’d rather have a weatherproof, flowy blue trail that I could get some winter night riding in on than the current quagmire. The OP makes out that it is some mecca of technical XC riding that is going to be ‘sanitized’. It isn’t, it’s a blown out mess of what used to be nice woodland single track.

Just because at present novices find it difficult while more experienced riders can ride it with no trouble doesn’t mean that it is good riding.

TooTall
    Free Member

longwayhome – what have you done so far to enhance the trails in the area? You seem hard over that what is planned is bad, what is there is what is wanted and the first funded trail should be what you want.

The Timberland Trail is battered. Another trail, of any grade, FUNDED, has to be a good thing, even if you are too gnar to ride it. I’d guess the vast majority of riders will get more out of what is planned than what you suggest, so the majority gets it – democracy in action. Pump and downhill? Diversity is great and welcomed. This is a city centre facility, not a Welsh valley. It has to survive over-use more than anything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Bristol plans development of the Timberland Trail etc’ is closed to new replies.