• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IA.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bristol Oktober-fest
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

So, I’ve managed to secure a 8hr solo place for this years event, whats the score?

I’ve done Mayhem Solo and as part of a team a few times and a couple of other short track endurance type events, what should I expect here?

Whats the course like?

Whats the pit set up like?

Camping and general thoughts too please

preraphalite
    Free Member

The course, as a mate of mine described it is a bit pedally. I personally love it, its fast and aside from one spot where you have to choose your lines carefully its perfectly drained and free from sticky mud so you can ride an entire lap no matter how tired your legs are!
    Bike wise, I have a choice of hard tail of full suspension, I’d probably go hard tail, no need for massive nobbles either, its all about rolling resistance. that’s not to say the single track isn’t loads of fun.
    The Pits, from memory are fine and adequate, on a bit of a hill so you may want to choose your camping spot carefully. you soloists get a special spot right on the course (not sure how that’s going to work for us 1pm 4hr soloists)
    My one firm memory from last year, and every year I’ve done a Ashton court event (and a issue I have mentioned to the organisers) is that there about 5 loos to cater for all the riders all desperate for their pre race ritual sit down. they are also a long way from the start/finish/pits so leave plenty of time.

oxym0r0n

Yep – I’m booked in for 8hr solo (singlespeed). Planning on turning up on the morning, as I don’t live too far away and always sleep better at home!

Hopefully still manage to get a spot trailside?!

Last time I raced there was 2007 and solo riders had a small easyup next to the course to share…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers guys

cokie

Oh, didn’t know about this event. Think I might enter with my brother.
    Is the course okay for a rigid singlespeed?

nickjb
    Free Member

Fine for rigid ss. Not very hilly (although the three small hills get bigger as the day goes on) and fairly smooth. There are some long sections with limited option for overtaking. Not usually a big issue as its a fairly relaxed event but you get the odd wannabe racer shouting ‘podium rider’ or some such guff as they try and squeeze by.

cokie

Thanks Nick. The event sounds spot on for us!

Kryton57

Fine for rigid ss.

Depends on your temperament. The man made singletrack is compacted stones, and after 8hrs on a hard tail last year I ended up the with blisters on the palms of my hands despite wearing my usual gloves, for the first time in any event ever – and I have ridden longer ones.

29er Anthem for me this year for a but of cush. This morning I tweaked my calf on the turbo, and have a race Sunday but hopefully all will be well by then.

Last time I raced there was 2007 and solo riders had a small easyup next to the course to share…

Was the same last year.

IA

As above, hardpack and rocky – fast summer tyres are totally fine whatever the conditions. Was pissing wet at bikefest and crossmark/ikon was fine, sketchy in places but fast with it.

It’s hard work as a course as it’s all pretty high intensity effort, it’s not climb then descend, it’s more constant power output though there are places you can ease off (and places to bury yourself).

I’d also echo that it’ll be rough on your hands rigid, but you’ll be used to that presumably.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Oktober-fest’ is closed to new replies.