• This topic has 29 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by timc.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bristol Night Out
  • mikemorini
    Free Member

Daughters weekending in Bristol in October for her 21st birthday with three mates.
    Any suggestions for a good night out.

I wont be there to chaperone so not too seedy/scuzzy please. Mrs Morini is already fretting over her little girl going to the big bad city.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

If she sticks to the harbourside, Corn St area she should have a good time.

It’s where the young’uns go, I’m out of town by 9.00 PM and in one of my locals these days.

andyl
    Free Member

21 you say? I’ll look after them for you 😉

October the students will be back and it will be busy with places getting the new students in but that’s actually a good thing IMO.

A relatively safe place to be is around the triangle and park street as it is very student orientated. Down town is more ‘local’ territory but the harbour side as above is a middle ground that will be putting on student stuff due to the reasons above and should be good fun and relatively safe.

mikemorini
    Free Member

andyl your a braver man than me!

wallop

+1 Park Street & Triangle. Corn Street is horrific.

andyl
    Free Member

You could always bring them down to the mendips and bring your bike. Drop them off at a nice remote country pub and they can’t get into much trouble while you go for a ride 🙂

mikemorini
    Free Member

Andyl. I’ll suggest it to her 😈
    I suspect the answer will involve sentences ending in off.

postierich
    Free Member

Great night out spent a weekend there 2 weeks ago some good pubs started off with a curry @ Myristica spent the evening early morning around the harbour side

mikemorini
    Free Member

+1 Park Street & Triangle. Corn Street is horrific.

When we went to the Italian car/bike festival I thought Corn Street looked okay.
    Maybe it was all that Italian loveliness that distracted me.

wallop

It gets a bit boisterous on a Saturday night..,,

timc
    Free Member

I was going to ask the same question as me & the lads are going weekend 3rd & 4th October!

We are all approx 30 & lads, would advise be different for us?

andyl
    Free Member

Depends if you want be to around 18-24 year old students?

but for dinner yes.

What kind of thing are you looking for? Been a few other threads on night outs in bristol that from memory might be more suitable. There are some less studenty clubs/bars around the triangle and clifton though.

Moses

The Triangle & Park St are only a 15-minute totter from Corn Street anyway. I’d recommend the King St / Apple / Thekla area; it’s also very central.

wrecker
    Free Member

Tell them to avoid Oceana. It’s where Chlamydia lives. Allegedly.
    Can’t help otheriwse, I have no idea what 21 year old girls want from a night out. I didn’t when I was 21, and I certainly don’t now I’m 37.

enigmas
    Free Member

*20 year old Bristol Student*

Being 21 and travelling to bristol for a night out I’m assuming she’s after a big night out in one of the clubs rather than exploring the bars.

If that’s the case Ramshackle’s(only open on fridays) a guaranteed good night out, and is big enough to spend the night in. Bunker’s also good as it’s a little more laid back and friendlier inside than the others. I’d avoid Pryzm as it’s the same as every other one in the country, and syndicate, which is not a place I can recommend to a girl’s father! 😯

mikemorini
    Free Member

thanks all, I shall pass on your recommendations.

Philby

There’s a growing number of discreet cocktail bars in Bristol where its advisable to ring ahead to book a table which might appeal as a pre-club venue: Milk Thistle, Hyde and Co, Hausbar, and the Rummer to name some of the best.

eightyeight
    Free Member

If she sticks to the harbourside, Corn St area she should have a good time.

*Disagreeing Klaxon* Corn Street gets pretty grimy of an evening and the harbourside is somewhere I would actively avoid at night. That’s where the all the nut buses drop off from the local towns (I should know, I was once on them….). There are a few decent bars down there (Start the Bus) but they’re tucked away.

I would advise top of Park Street / the Triangle. The Woods, Goldbrick House, Manos even Browns are all good for starters and then as someone mentioned above Bunker is ok and I was always a fan of Po Na Nas.

There was a really good D&B club if you turn right at the top of Park Street, but I think that’s gone now / poss one to avoid.

There’s a growing number of discreet cocktail bars in Bristol where its advisable to ring ahead to book a table which might appeal as a pre-club venue: Milk Thistle, Hyde and Co, Hausbar, and the Rummer to name some of the best.

Agree. Though Hausbar is at the top of Gloucester Road so a bit out of the way if you settle on the Triangle – Hyde and Co would be the one to go for.

timc
    Free Member

where is this triangle?

eightyeight
    Free Member

The “triangle” is at the top of Park Street (the bottom of Park Street being the Cathedral / council building). Turn left at the top and you’ll be faced with the “point” – an STA travel shop if memory serves

timc
    Free Member

Got it & thanks, the advice offered will be most useful!!

wallop

Hausbar is top of Whiteladies, isn’t it?

duffmiver
    Free Member

I went to Lakota when I was there. That was a blinding night.

timc
    Free Member

mikemorini any feedback from your kid? going this weekend so any further recommendations be great!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Hausbar is top of Whiteladies, isn’t it

Quite right. I have no idea why I wrote Gloucester Road. It’s the least Gloucester Road bar in the world.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I went to Lakota when I was there. That was a blinding night.

When was that, 1994? 😀

eskay

I spent a lot of my youth in the Lakota (and Moon Club before).

Lost many hours of my life in there!!

mikemorini
    Free Member

Timc

They’re off there this weekend.

What really made me laugh was the comment
    “oh I doubt we’ll drink that much”.
    My reply
    “ha!!”

jambourgie
    Free Member

They’re probably telling the truth. Booze kills the E-buzz innit…

😉

timc
    Free Member

Mikemorini, Tell her if she sees a group of 5 scouse lads celebrating a 32nd to run a mile! 😆

Drug are for mugs Jambourgie 8)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Night Out’ is closed to new replies.