Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bristol – Good pubs for Stag do?
  • ads678

On a Stag do in Brizz this weekend, and have only been there once before about 20 years ago!!

Is there a particular drinking bit or is it all spread out? Think we’re staying in the* Mercure Hotel on Redcliffe Hill. Getting the train down so is there a nice pub near temple meads as well?

Edit: *Future Inn on Temple Way

IHN

There’s an amazing little pub called the Cornucopia tucked away near Temple Meads.

Generally though, head towards Queens Square, there’s loads around there.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I think you mean the Cornubia? behind Victoria Street near BTM. there’s also the Portwall Tavern which also does great ale (and pizza) which is on the way to queens square.
    It depends on what type of stag do you’re on.
    It’s it’s pipe n slippers then Portwall and queen square is about right. if it’s trts n twts then the waterfront will do ya. if it’s cider….you want the Apple, you won’t make it any further than that.
    anywhere in the centre of town should cater for all needs. Corn Street, Park Street, and anything branching off

thomthumb
    Free Member

my mates did this – they found “an EDL pub” & met a skinhead with a machete.

He said it was for gardening 😆

jam-bo

the last pub crawl I went on in Brizzle, the highlights were, in order:

pub with large sunny terrace overlooking clifton gorge/bridge

small pub at the end of a dead end alley serving really strong cider but only in half pint glasses. everyone seemed to have two.

falling in the river.

it got a bit hazy after that…

Marko

. . . And if you are a bunch of beardy hipsters, just head straight to the Greenbank. Never have so many gathered in one place 🙂

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Marko, Don’t. it’s never been the same since they removed the sticky carpet :0(

ads678

Bit of a mix really, we’ll be drinking lots, but don’t think dancing girls and fighting is on the menu!!

Lively pubs with good beer and cider will do the trick. I think we’re all around the 40 mark.

It appears the hotel we’re now staying in is in the shopping area….

Oh and we do have a few beards, but I shaved mine of a couple of weeks ago!!

nemesis
    Free Member

the last pub crawl I went on in Brizzle, the highlights were, in order:

pub with large sunny terrace overlooking clifton gorge/bridge

small pub at the end of a dead end alley serving really strong cider but only in half pint glasses. everyone seemed to have two.

falling in the river.

it got a bit hazy after that…

The Avon Gorge
    The Coronation Tap
    The Docks 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Mud Dock is close to your hotel and generally a good vibe. Bocabar is a short walk from Templemeads with good food and drink.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

ah yes, your hotel is by Cabots. then for squits n giggles may I suggest you all take a stroll up to Old Market St. it’s only a few minutes away….
    Alternatively you could all try and squeeze into Cosies on Portland Square (There’s a good cider bar there too)
    your hotel is only 5mins from the centre/waterfront so you’re within spitting distance of plenty of choice.

ransos
    Free Member

Lively pubs with good beer and cider will do the trick. I think we’re all around the 40 mark.

Plenty of pubs with poncey craft ale on King St. Small Bar, Royal Navy Volunteer, Brew House, Beer Emporium. Also the Apple (cider barge) is close by on Welshback, as is Three Brothers Burgers.

revs1972
    Free Member

falling in the river.

Or were you pushed by the serial killer ???

nickjb
    Free Member

King street would be ideal. Lots of good pubs with decent beer and cider. All close together and close to temple meads and the centre. Goes on pretty late and there’s a few places to eat. If you do go to the apple go easy on the cider or you’ll really feel it the next day.

wallop

+1 King Street.

st

If you make it to King Street the Royal Naval Volunteer is worth a visit.

Back up at St Nicholas St you’ve the The Boardroom which is good for late night drinking with Revolution over the road for usual drunken stupidness.

postierich
    Free Member

but don’t think dancing girls and fighting is on the menu!!

Who on earth is organising the stag Do

Went 2 years ago on a stag do 15 of us bouncers seemed very chilled and had no problems getting in places early doors!

egb81
    Free Member

King Street is your best bet. Jazz, pirates, hipsters, theatre types, games, cheap beers, expensive beers all on one street.

The best pubs in Bristol (Bag o’Nails, Portcullis etc) are too small for a stag do.

wallop

Don’t fall for the suggestion of the Avon Gorge Hotel above. It’s got to be one of the best drinking locations in the UK in terms of view etc but it’s also probably the worst pub in the UK for service, drinks, prices etc.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Wallop, I have never read a more accurate sentence on stw.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Avon Gorge Hotel……. probably the worst pub in the UK for service

I once spent half an hour queuing around that ridiculous central bar while a single barman tried to keep up with the orders.

When we saw sweat drip off his greasy brow and into the pint he was pouring we thought it was probably best to go elsewhere….

mrsi
    Free Member

Kings street is good for craft beer, The old duke at the far end is good for regular beer and the Apple is close by for cider.

The Three Tuns is great for beer and food but small ish, probably not going to be rammed early evening though.

The Grain Barge on the harbour is also decent, nice roof area if the weather is good too.

Wild Beer on the other side of the harbour is good for craft beer too, you’ll probably need a beard.

Slightly out of the centre, the tobacco factory on North St. has loads of room and a good supply of beer from the Bristol Beer factory over the road. The Hare, the Steam Crane and Wild Beer down the road are good stops on the way back into town too.

ads678

Nice one, cheers for the suggestions, seems like there’s a good choice of places for a group of blokes to go to. Think there’s about 10 of us Friday and Saturday nights with a core of 6 for both nights so should be fun.

wallop

Wild Beer on the other side of the harbour is good for craft beer too, you’ll probably need a beard.

And deep pockets 😆

It is nice though.

wallop

North Street is my manor. It’s good for an evening out but if you want to stay out late you’ll be lacking and will have to move on somewhere else which can sometimes be a pain with a large group.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bristol – Good pubs for Stag do?’ is closed to new replies.