• This topic has 50 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by rp16v.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Bristol Bikefest roll call!
  • misterduncan
    Free Member

Ashton court’s all smooth and fast, with no roots to speak of

Let us speak of the freshly exposed roots after the event village hair pin. Roots that cannot be seen in the dark with wet muddy glasses.

Yup – only 234hours and 53,000m so far this year. Pretty lightweight really especially given he only has 9 KOMs – as in 9 pages.

Is that all?!

Good course, if not a bit harder than I was expecting, but fun all the same, just finished a blog post actually if anybody is interested: http://ridingcircle.blogspot.com/2015/06/race-report-bristol-bike-fest.html

Enjoyed that!

will
    Free Member

Thanks IA & Duncan.

Whilst technical isn’t perhaps the correct phrase, certainly courses like Mayhem and Sleepless (RIP) are/were more forgiving on the body for such long periods of time in the saddle. Not saying Ashton Court was bad, it wasn’t, it was awesome fun!

GregMay
    Free Member

Whats non technical after 2 hours, is very different after 12 hours in my experience. Technical does not always equate to gnarrr.
    Sure it’s not the same as the WEMBO course, but the course and conditions required constant tweaking of your position and balance on the bike to stay smooth.
    After 12 hours of riding, yeah, I found the course technical. but more due to the nature of the riding than the features.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IA

Oh yeah, I totally get your point about what a course feels like after 12/24 hours etc. Been there etc.

I guess as above technical isn’t the word, I’d say it’s more relentless – there’s nowhere you can just cruise with no real effort. Beggar’s bush and the quarry descent are all no-effort from the legs and you can coast them all fast enough if you know the corners, but you are working the upper body. There’s no-where you can really switch off your brain.

Two different types of tricky I guess, occasional hard to ride bits vs. a relentlessly fast/twisty course.

Still it’s all good, and I think it’s a good venue for endurance racing as it holds up well.

Not sure I could mentally handle the short laps riding solo though, I felt 10 laps was enough for me (I was doing pairs).

nemesis
    Free Member

AC has always been the type of trails that are easy to ride slow but pretty punishing to ride fast. It’s non technical in that anyone can ride it but IME, only decent (technical) riders can really ride it fast.

davidjey
    Free Member

technical isn’t the word, I’d say it’s more relentless – there’s nowhere you can just cruise with no real effort. Beggar’s bush and the quarry descent are all no-effort from the legs and you can coast them all fast enough if you know the corners, but you are working the upper body.

+1. By the end of a 6hr solo I was struggling with arm and hand fatigue more than my legs (or so I thought, until I tried to get out of the saddle and pedal up one of the climbs on my last lap). My hands still ached when I rested them on the tops riding to work this morning :/

GregMay
    Free Member

Try 19 laps – the only reason I have working hands are my Jones bars. To make matters worse my forks packed it in with about 3 hours left. Go team.

IA

Big fan of ESI grips to help hand fatigue here, after a nasty broken hand a few years back I can get pain with the constant battering, but the ESIs really help.

GregMay
    Free Member

IA – Totally agree with you. Running them on my SS, geared bike runs Gripshift so the stubbie ones aren’t quite as effective.

nedrapier

How did the Steve Worland cup work? Times show 8/9 hours, but winners on 16/17 laps.

Great effort if they cidered on every lap!

rp16v
    Free Member

I was riding a 26″ fullyrigid skinny tyred aggressive xc setup
    Wrist pump was a bitch by the 3rd lap my upper body was punished just from trying to keep on the trail luckily being a local helped in some sections like quarry whare i can loosen up abit and flow through but its still a relentless course that never Lets off and gets harder in the wet
    Will be running full sus next year and hopefully faster

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Bikefest roll call!’ is closed to new replies.