Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Bristol Bikefest roll call…
  • moonboy
    Free Member

Checked and don’t think this has already been started.

Who is in for Bikefest* this Saturday / Sunday?

In for the team 12 hour on Saturday mostly trying to be overtaken by a guy on a bmx by the sounds of things…

Must be a few more!

*virtual zider to the first person to mention ‘all weather trail’

monkeyboyjc

i’m going on Saturday to take photos (not compeating due to illness), i’m sure i’ll have a few hundred photos to show by the end of the day.

MrAgreeable

Aye! Bristol Trails Group Pirate Ninjas, consisting of myself, octopron enthusiast Big Dummy, Super Saiyan Ollie, and Ollie’s mate from work, who I’ve never met, but “he wears lycra so he must be fast”.

Look out for us lurking in a construction resembling a giant silver space station.

Oh and please don’t let this thread turn into a frenzy of Metcheck-assisted brow-furrowing. It’ll be fun whatever.

jimilindley
    Free Member

If anyone need someone to make up a team, drop me a line, know the trail well, and quite fit.

jimilindley@hotmail.com

Cheers

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ll be there solo single speed as usual, with added 29er and rigid fork loveliness.

**looks at metcheck**

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

12 hours solo

gee
    Free Member

12hr team of 3. I think Salsa have a bit of a bike display going on as well.

GB

GaryLake
    Free Member

12-hour solo – not sure why, it’s my local trail and I’ve been doing all of my Wales Coast 2 Coast training around there – I’m expecting a loooong day 🙂

Edit: and I’m expecting to be terminally slow so a nice slap on the back and a cheer would be much appreciated 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Gary
    Whats the Wales C2C like? Sounds interesting – linky?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m in Gee’s team of 3. Nowt like creating a category for yourself!

What’s it like up there in the wet since they did all the work? I know when I lived in Bristol it would now be a total mudfest, but is it better draining these days?

Dare I ask what tyres!? 😳

MrAgreeable

Welsh C2C details (scroll down): http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk/projects/

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yer fast ones Njee, the field might be a bit mucky and spinny but the rest of the trail is hard as rock.

MrAgreeable

What’s it like up there in the wet since they did all the work?

To be honest it always held up pretty well, even before the revamp. Certianly nothing like Mountain Mayhem/SITS levels of slop. It’s now completely surfaced and although it can be a bit sketch (the trail is surfaced with limestone and has polished up quite a lot over the past few months), it’ll still be rocket fast.

Last year the issue was overtaking – the new trail is very singletrack-heavy so be prepared to sit in for a bit, call out what side you’re passing, etc.

davidjey
    Free Member

Another 12 hour solo here. I haven’t taken the fast-rolling tyres off yet – will make that call on Friday night!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Don’t take them off David even if it pisses down all Friday night fast tyres will be just the job.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll stick with the Rons then!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oh and if anyone comes of at speed prepare to have many layers of skin removed, the all weather surface is like a cheese grater.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 take the fastest. I will be swapping out the reverb for the thompson as well.

Yeah its difficult to pass but after the 3 hour and 6 hour mob leave I find its pretty clear.

Remember to look after your bikes after what happend last time when a load were stolen on the Sat night. Lock them in the car or to self 🙂

gee
    Free Member

You know it’s refreshing not having to worry about tyre choice any more as Schwalbe only make Ralphs in 650b…

Raining? Ralphs. Muddy? Ralphs. Dry? Ralphs.

GB

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardent LUST <caugh> 🙂

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I’m in with Moonboy and we’ve a budding wannabee winner in our team who seems to think that bring a XC hardtail carbon rigid thing is a great idea for a 12hr team event.

We’ve also one of those lycra dudes who what can ride a bit quick. We tried to convince a KOM holder of most of the AC/LW trails to ride for us, but as he’s a sadist, and dreadfully disorganised, he’s doing 6 hour solo.

Either way, I’ll be horrifically slow up the hills on a way over bouncy Zesty for the AC trails, but enjoying the DHy and flowy bits, whilst swearing loudly as I approach the hated Red Barn Woods section.

Tyre choice: well, I think seeing as it’s comedy, I think a totally inappropriate CrossMark/Larsen TT combo should be used. Or should I go completely bonkers and use my Larsen up front and my High Roller semi slick up rear?

You know, for drifts and shizzle fo sho.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m in with Moonboy and we’ve a budding wannabee winner in our team who seems to think that bring a XC hardtail carbon rigid thing is a great idea for a 12hr team event.

It’s 3 hours of riding, what’s wrong with that as a bike choice 😕

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Carbon rigid sounds Ideal IMO.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 for Zesty here cant think it will slow me up, quite the reverse.

I’m in, 12 hour solo single speed.

5th SS last year and 2nd SS at Oktoberfest, so the big question now, for me, is can the chubby old duffer vegan on the belt drive Qoroz Lefty get on the podium ?

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Zesty isn’t exactly light and efficient, as compared to my hardtail at least.

But I do know that after 3 hours of traipsing around AC, my arms would fall off, and I’d be crying for my Zesty.

So I’ll stick with it. And enjoy the fun bits.

vd

Property Pedlars team of 4 in the Singlespeed 12 hours.

1 whippet with sub 10% body fat, the other 3 old and/or on the wrong side of the BMI divide.

Whippet may not be trying hard enough as he tells us he is on a promise Saturday evening and thinks he might need to refrain from spilling all his beans during the race.

Confidently predicting 4th in our category!

njee20
    Free Member

But I do know that after 3 hours of traipsing around AC, my arms would fall off, and I’d be crying for my Zesty.

Really? 3 hours intermittent riding on pretty smooth trails? May I suggest sir gets to a gym!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Regarding BMI: Went to the docs yesterday.

“So, yada yada, lets check you out. BP, yep, perfect, lets now weigh you”

Me: Ok happiness I’m not about to keel over, but approaches the scale with trepidation…

“Hmm. Your BMI seems a bit high” >cue lecture from doc<

BOOM.

How to knock a man in one easy throw.

Irrespective of how fit(ish) or strong I might be, BMI rules supreme and I’m now categorised as overweight.

Arse.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

ETA, I was wearing heavy clothes, and those bloomin heavy Shimano DX SPD shoes, so I’m a bit peeved to say the least. Next time I’ll go in with my shorts on and flip flops.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t really see the issue with that. As a general rule cycling builds lean muscle and burns fat. Unless you’re a track rider. So if you are fit through cycling then yes, you probably are overweight!

If you have low body fat and lots of muscle then you can probably disregard it.

Abarthchris
    Free Member

Irrespective of how fit(ish) or strong I might be, BMI rules supreme and I’m now categorised as overweight.

Arse.

Yep, its definitely your arse that’s the cause of your woes!

haha

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Yep, its definitely your arse that’s the cause of your woes!

haha

Least it’s not broken.

Abarthchris
    Free Member

You never break anything as you’ve got plenty of padding!

Anyway, Carbon hardtail is out for the Bikefest, so I’ll be running a Cannonfail Rize 120. Perfick

If it’s any consolation, my BMI is 28. I’m about 7kg away from being officially obese. 😛

wool

What’s the security like ? Am I going to find my tent and all the gear missing when I get back from riding?

rickon
    Free Member

I’ll be doing the 3 hour ‘novice’ solo.

Not done a 3 hour solo before.

I’ll be supporting Lady Rickon doing 12 hour solo female; got the Jetboil, coffee from Hasbean and a load of pickle pork pies.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

They said mine was 26, as if I knew what that was good against.

The doc seemed a bit rushed to be fair, it was first day back after the holidays.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Wool; quite likely.

Assume the worst case scenario regarding security, it’s pretty rife up there.

Wool, a lot of bikes have gone missing in the best.
    The best security is to talk to your neighbours wherever you’re camped.
    Get to know who’s who so you will immediately spot strangers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Bikefest roll call…’ is closed to new replies.