Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bristol Bike tour tips
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

Hi Guys

My Girlfriends mates coming to visit with her boyfriend ,up from the smoke where he comutes to work by bike . As Bristol is quite new to him where would you suggest visiting during the day and using bikes.

I know brissol quite well but after driving around it for 14 years or so I take it for granted so your suggestions wouldnt go amiss oh and I only have a spare road bike a blast arounf leigh court are out

cheers guys

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Try your local library as there a several route guides publihed for Bristol and surrounding area. They may also be available on South Glos / Bristol council / Bath council websites as downloads. They used to be. Many local bike shops also have the free council maps available.

Nip into the Sustrans office next to College Green – they have loads of ride guides for local area and for all across the country. Most of the leaflets are free. Dont try to visit them on a weekend though, as they are shut when the most people could actually visit them for advice. they also have a website with downloadable guides.

A ride down the avon gorge to Portishead (or on to Clevedon if you are keen) is rather nice as you get to see Bristol docks, the gorge, suspension bridge etc. Several cafes round docks and in Portishead, plus Portishead park/’seafront’ which would be nice for a picnic (Waitrose near by!). You can combine it with a road route one way or the other if you want more traffic and hills. There is always the Bristol/Bath path, esp if anyone is a steam train/cafe fan or fancies the georgian architecture of Bath.

General strikes out into the countryside can be done from any point on the ring road if you are near the edge of the city.

All I can think of right now.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I should have added there is a traffic free bike path around most of the ring road, which is up grassy bank from the traffic for large amounts of its length – particualry the more northern end of the road. It also links to the Bristol/Bath path and some national routes.

Milkie
    Free Member

What about the Clifton Observatory?, with the 360° view, then you’ve also got Vincent’s cave too.

A ride taking in all the Bristle sites should be good, as said above. Docks, The Matthew, SS Great Britain, Millenium Square, Suspension Bridge, Observatory, Cabot Tower, etc.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Take good locks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Bike tour tips’ is closed to new replies.