Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Bristol Bike Fest – Ramp
  • singlespeedstu

😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

but there probably won’t be enough beards, tattoos or piercings for you anyway

You do know Peter Poddy is going dont you?

clubber
    Free Member

Well he doesn’t have a beard 🙂

cheers_drive

Just got back from registering and I had a few goes on the ramp.
    It’s definately easier to get up – shallower and chicken wire. However the down is pretty steep with a step at the top, you can’t get away with not braking so could be fun if muddy. On the exit there is also a tree to avoid with a loosly filled pothole on the turning point which could be an issue too.

Can’t wait until tomorrow…

Leon
    Free Member

So in the end, even with the rain, it was absolutly fine, except half the people on the course couldn’t ride it. I did 6 laps, and on only two of them did I not have to stop as someone in front of me stopped on the up slope!

The bombholw wasn’t much better. On one lap I think there were about 5 people writhing in the mud with their bikes in the bottom. I just rode around the outside when I saw that. I had 2 clear runs at that too.

I tried waiting patiently, and sure enough, people just barged past me, so that didn’t help at all. I’m just too polite for racing (although we did win our category, so it shoes you don’t lose too much time if you just decide to not bin people in the hedge just to gain a few seconds…)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Walked up and over on the first lap as was everyone else in front, then took the chicken run on the next eleven on a couple of my laps they had completely shut it off to work on it, the bomb hole wasn’t too bad, but yes on a couple of occasions riding round was easier, however I did manage to slip and impale my chest on a scaffolding pole, which was nice.

Leon
    Free Member

was the scaffolding pole ok?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I didn’t stop to ask. 😐

matty-B
    Free Member

The queue waiting to get over the bridge on the first lap was terrible, actually got lapped by the leading team rider before we all made the decision to bypass it.

Once the batons were on it was fine unless the rider in front stalled which made it interesting.

Bombhole was ok too, though towards the end I needed a helping hand from the marshals to haul me up over lip as my momentum ran out.

knottie8
    Free Member

I walked up the ramp but rode down and that bomb hole caught me out on the last lap . I went too slow and flipped over backwards .Quite funny as the cadets were shouting “come on you can do it ! Ive seen you do this already !!!”

DaveGr
    Free Member

I’m SO glad I didn’t know how “dangerous” the ramp and bombhole were going to be before doing the race. Once the ramp was fixed I rode up/down each time unless a person in front stalled. And the bombhole was fine if you took it at a decent speed. Still rode it on lap 14 😀

Spectating on Sunday was funny – a Torq* rider had a hissy fit when not allowed to by pass the bridge while another Torq* rider didn’t even attempt the bomb hole – they got off and stumbled downwards. Everyone else at least tried to ride it.

* please note there are other nutritional products available…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I avoided the bridge after the first two laps, which were arguably the worst anyway. There was just so much fannying about It wasn’t worth the hassle. I didn’t like the potential for getting into trouble if the person infront decided to bail.

I was very surprised that so few could ride the bombhole, it was just a straightline and momentum, with a little lean over the bars at the top to pull yourself over the top.

Still, can’t all be off-road gods like me…
    🙄

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

did 4 laps and the bridge was only open on 2 of them. Great day in the mud and a greater night in the tent listening to the Muddogs!

Thanks to Stella at 2 pounds a can for the sleep!

I was slow, fat, ginger in some parts but had a really really great time. Surely thats what we are all there for!!

clubber
    Free Member

“Ginger in some parts”
    Were you dying your hair mid-lap?

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

no but my shorts changed colour a few times when I hit some roots too fast going into the last wood section!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think the whole course was amazing. Considering how much rain we had it still road really well. Loved it and I did the first lap so saw it at its worst.

Bridge was fine just these race whippets that dont know how to ride.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Bike Fest – Ramp’ is closed to new replies.