Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bristol-Bath cycleway when you hit Bath
  • molgrips
    Free Member

When you hit the edge of Bath, from the map it looks like the official route goes onto side-streets. However there also seems to be a riverside path too. Does this take you right into the town centre off road?

I'm thinking of doing it with a kiddie trailer so very averse to urban roads. Are there lots of bike gates on that riverside path?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No gates at all as far as I remember, just a couple of narrow 'squeeze gaps' you should be fine.

Follow the river all the way, too! 🙂

It's a lovely ride IMO 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Be a little bit on your guard at the Bristol end – been a few quite nasty incidents (muggings, etc) there recently.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Sweet. Last time I did it I think we turned back at the edge of Bath, being somewhat confused as to where it went. That was many years ago tho.

Mat – yes, I don't think we're gonna start from Bristol.. probably in the countryside outside.

peteimpreza

What the Podster said.

follow the road for a shor while and then pick up the riverside path, on the right, to the city centre.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pretty pleased with Mrs Grips actually – she's been unwell for ages, and not really been able to ride, but last weekend we had a great spin along the Wye from Monmouth.. so this will be a longer ride 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Be aware that the river splits in two at Bath – so confusion is justified!

pjt201
    Free Member

surf-mat – there were a few incidents about a year ago (or more now), but the council have put street lighting up on most of the urban sections and added cctv where they think necessary and the poor behaviour has pretty much disappeared. think there's also more police presence on there than there was.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Didn't someone post a mugging incident on here about a month ago though? Unfortunately is runs through some really rough bits of Bristol so will always be a bit risky. I did used to like riding it when I lived there though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

There was a recent one as I recall, personally I would go no further then the fishponds rd link.

thebunk

When we tried it a couple of months ago the Bath end was dodgier – loads of tramps drinking special brew by the river. Also saw a swan attacking a kayaker, so y'know, anything could happen.

Oh, more useful information – you had to come off the path onto a minor road, for about 50 feet, but it's all signposted.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, just folow the river, there is a bit of a nadgery stone wall chicane round the back of the Dolphin INN, but other than that it's plain sailing.

Jump off the Riverside path at Nelson Villas or carry on to Green Park Road. I find nashing down Nelson Villas easier.

The river does not split in two. Just before Widecombe deep lock, before the train station, the path jumps over the road junction to follow the other side of the river. Then up onto the Kennet & Avon Canal towpath. This is fine all the way for MTB&Trailer too, apart from the steps up onto Bathwick Hill. So you can use the v busy Pultney Rd, or the way less busy Horseshoe Walk/Sydney Buildings instead, cross Bathwick Hill to pickup the tow path again. No need if you're just going to the centre obviously.

Philby

Go along the road at the end of the bike path for a couple of hundred yards and the path onto the river is on the right. This bit can be quite busy with walkers. Nice cafe at Bitton railway station as well. Police have increased surveillance at the Bristol end and AFAIK attacks have been much reduced.

If you are feeling adventurous there is a lovely canal-side ride to Bradford on Avon starting from just off the A36 (Beckford Road) in Bath which goes over the Dundas aqueduct.

phil.w
    Free Member

EDIT – same as posted above.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

lovely canal-side ride to Bradford on Avon starting from just off the A36 (Beckford Road)

You can follow the tow path all the way from the Avon at Widecombe Deep lock out to Bathhampton, apart from above mentioned steps to Bathwick Hill. If you folow the tow path from Bathwick Hill you get to ride through the tunnels and gardens around Sydney Gardens too, v picturesque. You're supposed to dismount for the tunnels, but not need if it is quiet.

The river does not split in two, its a bleeding canal.

There is a confluence way out the other side of Bath in Freshford, where the Frome flows into the Avon.

phil.w
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – do you live in Bath as well?

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

The River Avon doesn't split in Bath – the Kennet & Avon canal spurs off at Widecombe but that's the otherside of town from the Bristol/Bath cycleway. The cycleway finishes and spits you out onto Brassmill Lane for about a mile (with marked bike lane)upto a tool-hire place right on the river where you pick-up the river path that takes you into the centre of town. You can either drop off left (at a signpost) and in front of you will be a green with Norfolk Crescent behind it and then follow streets into the town centre or carry on alongside the river to the bottom of Bath.

Edit: Lots of info there then – had that answer sat waiting whilst my boss was talking at me for a while!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

phil.w, used to, went to Uni in Bath, now in the People's Republic of Bristolia.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My mistake on the river but you can see why I thought that was the case…!

Bath splitty rivery bit

molgrips
    Free Member

attacks have been much reduced

😯

Thanks for the info people. I shall be wanting to stop in Bath for some lunch probably.. hopefully we can get to town on some wide pavements or there's somewhere nice to eat near the river. Will have bike locks.

phil.w
    Free Member

How often did you cycle up Bathwick hill to Uni?

phil.w
    Free Member

molgrips, can recommend here not next to the river but no dangerous roads to get to it. Biker friendly and opposite a bike shop.

It's not in town but better than the standard chain resaurants.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

How often did you cycle up Bathwick hill to Uni?

Erm, everyday, all weathers. Second year I lived up primrose hill, so it was either Bathwick Hill or North Road, on my singlespeed. Got me fit quick did that. Downhill on the way into the centre, up hill to Uni, and vice versa on the way home.

Third year Oldfield Park, so either Widecombe, or Wellsway/Rush Hill.

Then the year I graduated I lived in Weston, commuting out to North Bristol everyday, either cycle path to mangotsfield or the A431 Kelston road. Lovely bit of road.

thebunk

The Hop Pole (7 Albion Buildings, Bath BA1 3AR) is nice and you can get to it from the river, via an overgrown alleyway, which isn't signed.

It's got a garden (with bike stands), and the food is slightly gastro-ey. I had a fois gras sausage roll, which tasted much like a normal one, but was two pounds fifty.

TooTall
    Free Member

molgrips – look up the Boston Tea Company – their shop in Bath is well located for locking up bikes and proximity to the river.

If you want to miss out the Bristol end of things, there is a really handy little car park in Warmley right next to the path.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

molgrips, can recommend here

Used to live 4 doors down from that. Will & Co have setup shop on Chelsea Road somewhere haven't they?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh lovely.. 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

Will & Co have setup shop on Chelsea Road somewhere haven't they?

yep, at the top on the other side.

Good effort on cycling up there everyday. It comes into my 7 hills training route with Lansdown Lane & Hill, North Road, Wellsway, Widcombe Hill and Brassknocker. And I use the Kelston road for 10 mile TT training.

Small world!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ach, the 7 hills. Jeez, the pain sears deep even now. We used to do Lansdown, North Rd, Bathwick, Widecombe, Brassknocker, 'American Museum' (from Claverton) and Ralph Allen in varying combinations.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Aye, just folow the river, there is a bit of a nadgery stone wall chicane round the back of the Dolphin INN, but other than that it's plain sailing.

Just for info that disappeared a couple of years back. Sledgehammer and pick axe one night 8)

Linky for Will and Johnny's new shop – just off the riverside path and opposite great cafe in Chelsea Road and well worth a visit

Home

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bristol-Bath cycleway when you hit Bath’ is closed to new replies.