Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Bristol Area Riding
  • chrisharvey
    Free Member

I’ve just moved to the Bristol area and I’ve heard there is loads of trails all over the place down here. Any tips on where the best places to go riding are? Also if somebody wouldn’t mind a new riding partner that would be awesome. Solo ride are fun but its always better with other people :).

Philby

Just on the other side of the Suspension Bridge:
    Ashton Court
    Leigh Woods
    50 Acre Wood
    Ashton Hill Plantation

Also nearby:
    Mendips
    Forest of Dean
    Cwm Carn
    Quantocks

redthunder
    Free Member

Where about in Bristol (generally) have you moved to ?

chrisharvey
    Free Member

Thanks Philby! I live just north east of Bristol in a place called fishponds.

redthunder
    Free Member

@chrisharvey

Not my patch 🙁

Over to the No Fish in Fishponds locals.

wrecker
    Free Member

You could go and have a look in vassals park link it up with dutchess ponds etc. I’m not telling you that you should (not sure on the trail designations). It won’t be South wales, but it is ok for a spin (apparently…..)
    Explore!

chrisharvey
    Free Member

@Wrecker thanks!

@redthunder I should really rephrase, im looing for stuff in the wider area not just local (I do like a road trip). Including stuff in south wales.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Mendips are great at the moment, lots of choice too

therevokid
    Free Member

chris … contact “the cheesy riders” they organise rides on Mondays,
    fridays and some sundays in ashton court/leigh woods – some man made and
    some of piste.

there’s a Facebook group and a Web site.

stugus
    Free Member

Belmont woods for a bit of knarrr. I think its also called ashton hill confusingly. lots to explore!

eskay

I am not too far from Fishponds and there are some trails over towards Bath that are relatively easy to get to. They are sections that are linked by lanes, cross country type riding.

I would offer to show you around but it is racing season and I am running the kids all over the country!!

If it is your thing, there is a summer cx series (that you can ride on an mtb). There is even a round in Fishponds!!

https://www.facebook.com/WesternLeagueCyclocross

wrecker
    Free Member

All of the further afield stuff has been mentioned.
    To my shame, I’ve not been around exmoor yet and I’m desperate to. Bit time poor at present so the idea of an all dayer with the silva sounds good but sadly unlikely, especially when I can whip over to Afan for W2 with guaranteed great riding is an option. Sad but honest!
    I’m not far from fishponds and often head over the South Wales for a morning. sometimes a spare place in the car so drop me a message if you fance a trail centre spin!

chrisharvey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, got loads to look up. If anybody wants a riding buddy just give me a shout.

@Wrecker, I’d defiantly be up for that. I work 8-4 so my riding will mainly be weekends but i think ill try and sneak some midweek night rights in 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

drop me a mail chris. I sometimes have an evening ride in the mendips (starting ~ 1745hrs), but it’s mostly South Wales on a sat or sun morning.

enigmas
    Free Member

I tend to ride mainly at rowberrow (mendips) and the off piste in the FoD, both around 40 mins from my house in Horfields. None of the local stuff really appeals to me, Ashton and leigh woods aren’t enjoyable on a 160mm travel bike and the tracks at Belmont are very short and jumpy. North Nibley’s quite close at around 25 minutes from mine but there’s only enough there for a couple of hours.

Triscombe’s also great for a day trip and I occasionally head over to Cwmcarn/bpw as well, though they add up with bridge fee’s and parking.

If you’d like a tour of any of these my email’s in profile. I’d also love a tour of the quantocks/exmoor if anyone’s got any local knowledge 😀

mrsi
    Free Member

Chris, depending on what flavor of riding you’re after there’s a few of us that are out locally on a tuesday evening from 7 ish. Mainly the off piste stuff in leigh woods which tends to be on the short and steep side, usually followed by a pint. Drop me an email if you fancy tagging along.

As mentioned above, some cracking stuff in the Mendips too, both XC and DH and North Nibley in the other direction.

chrisharvey
    Free Member

@wrecker

@enigmas

@mrsi

I’ve emailed you all, hopefully some good riding in the future!

Alpha1653

@chrisharvey – I’m book marking this thread as I’m moving back to Bristol next month, hopefully to Emerson’s Green. I know Ashton Court, Leigh Woods and I grew up across the water in Wales so know some stuff that’s a lot closer than Cwmbran and the like. Let me know if you get some rides up and running, I’d be keen to get involved.

nemesis
    Free Member

Shipham mtb ride the Mendips Thursday at 8pm and weekends. You can find their details on fb

wrecker
    Free Member

Alpha1653, you’ll be just down the road from me!

chrisharvey
    Free Member

@Alpha1653 – Just send me a message when you get down here, my email is on my profile.

goyawave
    Free Member

I live in Horfield too and am up for Sunday morning rides. I’m a bit time limited with, ie. kids but usually go to Cwmcarn but am up for different stuff. Up for W2 soon if anyone else is interested. I have just started road riding too 🙄

chrisharvey
    Free Member

I may need some more fitness rides in before tackling it but id be up for W2 sounds like a decent way to spend a day!

TooTall
    Free Member

Alpha – I can guess where you’ll be working if you hope to move to Emersons Green 😉

There’s some riding out from there that I strung together – a few bridleways joined up with back roads and you can have a decent play out NE of Emersons. Go and see Si at Webbs of Warmley – for a mostly roadie he does know a few off-road routes around Warmley etc. He also builds a mean wheel.
    The Cheesy Riders are a bunch of deviants and miscreants. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Alpha1653

@wrecker: I’ll drop you a mail once my address gets confirmed. I was poking around this weekend and it looks really nice!

@TooTall: I think I know where you think I’ll be working…but you’re wrong! I think.

DanW
    Free Member

From Emerson’s Green you are about 10km along the railway bike path from the hills up on to Lansdown. Sounds like a long way maybe but it is easily over in 20 mins if you can get a tow from a roadie 😀 😳 If you then went through Beach/ Wick/ Pucklechurch area for the other leg of the ride you would have a reasonable route and actually encounter some hills which don’t really exist around Brizzle 😆

You can pretty much take your pick of the By-Ways and Bridleways in the area where you are- none are horribly unrideable, especially this time of year. Mostly flat and not too eventful around Pucklechurch/ Yate way though.

I quite like Failand, Tanpitt Woods, Snakes Well Wood and the Woods around Flax Bourton to extend the usual Ashton Court, Leigh Woods, 50 Acre Wood,
    Ashton Hill Plantation trails. Some people seem to give Ashton Court and Leigh Woods a hard time but you are lucky to have all weather, fun trails on your doorstep IMO.

Alpha1653

Sorry ChrisJHarvey, I’ve hijacked your thread a bit. I’ll pay you back with a post ride beer in a month or two!

Can’t wait to move back to Bristol. I’m in Pembrokeshire at the moment and there’s not a lot of local trails to be had unfortunately.

chrisharvey
    Free Member

Its cool man, at least it looks like i should be able to find some riding buddies haha. I’ll hold you to that beer!

orangeorange
    Free Member

+1 for the fledgling outlaw renegade Bristol MTB group !
    I’m in Kingswood,ride most weekends at the usual haunts so FOD,Cwmcarn,Quantocks,Exmoor and occasionally the Brecons too (not all in the same weekend obviously)

ell_tell
    Free Member

Thought I’d chip in to this thread, as I moved to Bristol from Cardiff last year. I also moved jobs, moved house twice and got married so my riding time was quite limited, but hoping to get back into it this now now its quietened down.

I’m across in SE Bristol so try to get around Ashton, Leigh Woods etc, generally after I’ve knackered myself going up Granby Hill!

If there are any rides planned people could maybe post in here, alternatively e-mail in profile if anyone new fancies meeting up

redthunder
    Free Member

@redthunder I should really rephrase, im looing for stuff in the wider area not just local (I do like a road trip). Including stuff in south wales.

Mostly Blaise and across the bridge to the Wye Valley for me.

chrisharvey
    Free Member

I’m thinking of having an adventure to check out the trails at the Forest of Dean on saturday, I’ve heard it’s meant to be pretty good! Anybody up for that? Drop me an email and ill give you my mob number.

Also just committed to going 1×10…wish me luck!

chrisharvey
    Free Member

@orangeorange

Fledgling outlaw renegade Bristol MTB group…Best name ever where do i sign up?

goyawave
    Free Member

I would be but my summer is being roonered by man flu. I can’t shake it off! You’ll be fine on 1 x 10, it’s not far to the top.

Have fun.

Alpha1653

I’m in Bristol this weekend – woohoo! Unfortunately, I’m 7 weeks short of getting married so every free moment on a weekend’s devoted to organising stuff so riding’s taken a back seat.

This groups’s gaining momentum!

shiatostorm
    Free Member

7 weeks from getting married?! Ha! Me too and I’ve been getting out most evenings for a couple hours at a time! You’re doing it all wrong…
    (I may be missing something here but hey, loving out on the trails!)

As for bristol, trails link up well from Leigh, 50 acres, Ashton court – and further afield if you explore enough. Used to do a decent loop after work in the days when I lived in clifton. Hop over the bridge, awesome trails, done. There’s a trail building group that head out around Leigh/Ashton court, worth joining. Also singletrack reporter at large Barney used to be part of the group and we’d all go exploring round the local trails. You really have a lot on the doorstep in bristol.

As others mentioned its easy to get to Wales for a big more big hill action or head South for exmoor, Dartmoor etc. I’m currently on the quantock hills, they’re bone dry. Lots of loose stones about making some patches a bit hairy at speed – and someone’s been busy building some huge kickers on a trail running down off the top into holford – wasn’t expecting it and went flying. Landed it but was a bit nuts. Quantocks are a bit of a hidden gem, people always shoot by on their way to exmoor and Dartmoor but worth checking out. Triscombe has some DH tracks and was the site of an endure even recently…

Alpha1653

He he, but I bet you’re not changing jobs and moving house at the same time are you?! Thanks for the advice. I lived in Clifton too so know most of the trails around there, less so around where I’ll be living come this weekend!

MrAgreeable

Lots of info on the local trails here:

Local trails

and a couple of route ideas:

Route guide

There are tonnes of little BMX tracks and pump tracks in Bristol now, including one in Hillfields:

BMX and Pump Tracks

There’s also some good riding over towards Bath, as others have said. Not high on technical interest but the hills will get you fit super quick. This is a classic loop: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/lansdown-loop503279

Milkie
    Free Member

The Evans Ride It events are quite good for finding some half decent routes, there is one this weekend just NE of Bristol.

http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/rideit-cotswolds-mtb-ride-25th-july-2015

I know this can be ridden anytime as it uses Bridleways, but there are some nice bits in North Nibley.

It’s worth checking out the pump tracks around Bristol, there is one in near Fishponds behind B&Q.

shiatostorm
    Free Member

There used to be a pump track under the high rise section down by the river near the big red brick buildings…unless it’s not there any more, it’s been a while…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Bristol Area Riding’ is closed to new replies.