Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bringing second hand bike into UK from USA – Tax pitfalls ???
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I am sorely tempted by a new road bike from a guy selling it second hand from the States, but I seem to remember that there is a very good chance of being hit with import duty even though it is used etc.

What exactly is the form on this good people ? I don't want to rip the ar%e out of my budget and then get hit with some exorbitant tax on arrival in the country, that would be very sad…..

Cheers
    Sean

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

You get Taxed even on second hand goods.

Import tax on purchase price and shipping @ 4.7% for components and 14% on full bikes.

Vat on Purchase price + shipping + Import tax.

Royal mail / parcel force handling fee.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Ouch !!!

So frame and forks, that full bike or component price ?

But basically £1500 for frame and forks, including shipping, 17.5% on that, then either 4.7% or 14% import tax on the whole lot

flatfish
    Free Member

why dont you take your riding kit out there, ride it around a bit,leave it dusty/dirty, buy a bike bag scuff it up a bit and put the new bike in the bag and it looks like you've had it a while already.

simples.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, get a £50 used halfords scrapper and bin it while there… 🙂

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I have had 2 bikes posted back from the USA for me, and neither were held for import duty or any such stuff.

Both of them were mine and I had ridden them whilst over there, but I didnt fly back with them. Technically I wasnt doing anything illegal, however customs didnt know that. If you could get the seller to put your name as the 'sender' and 'receiver' then it may look more credible, but only if you're sure the seller is a genuine person who isnt going to rip you off.

as for price, factor in about $130 for shipping a bike over here, and thats without insurance (if anyone knows of any cheaper shipping deals then please let me know!). regarding frame/fork combos; a friend got charged the 14% import on a frame/fork set, but successfully argued his case and got it taken down to 4.7%, again arguing will be easier to do if you're not doing anything underhand in the first place!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bringing second hand bike into UK from USA – Tax pitfalls ???’ is closed to new replies.