Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bringing a rear shock back from America
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Due to the recent thread about Royal Mail binning someone’s rear shock I thought I check if anyone knows the implications of bringing a rear shock back from America.

Am I going to have any problems bringing it back in my luggage?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

People fly with bikes fine all the time. Will it be fitted to the bike? Is it new – if so will you be declaring it for Duty & VAT?

iolo
    Free Member

Declare it to customs and you will have no problem

Pieface

Don’t put it in the main luggage section or it will explode

trail_rat
    Free Member

why does it matter if its new mike ?

its the entering the uk for the first time that is the key part.

drofluf
    Free Member

Bigger problem may be with security. I’ve had a pair of pliers confiscated – my own fault I forgot that I had them in my bag – and they queried a set of lock on grips once as well.

luffy105
    Free Member

Haven’t you got a £500 tax free allowance if flying in from outside the EU anyway? I’m sure that used to be the case.

If so don’t declare anything, make sure the shock isn’t pressurised and you’ll be fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Other goods including perfume and souvenirs
    You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.

but dont let a good fact get in the way .

luffy105
    Free Member

Ok, hands up I was wrong about that. I always buy a bike shock as a holiday souvenir.

I certainly wouldn’t bother declaring it though. Cue sharp intake of breath

trail_rat
    Free Member

neither would i – but i wouldnt advise that someone else doesnt.

difference between making your own mind up on the risk and being told by someone else its safe without any facts on the matter.

i can also confirm that if you connect through heathrow without collecting your bags and travel domestically to uk airport(certainly aberdeen) – you dont pass through customs

luffy105
    Free Member

fair comment…

When transiting though through big airports like Heathrow your hold luggage will undoubtedly be x-rayed and if there is something customs are interested in (eg tobacco) you can half expect a tap on the shoulder when you get off the domestic flight.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Stick it in your checked baggage and forget about it. I’ve done this many times with no problems when I was coming home from Afghanistan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

definantly – i knew that but for a single shock of unknown value from an xray. my mate brought back a pair of ohlins for his triumph on his last trip to canada.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bringing a rear shock back from America’ is closed to new replies.