Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bringing a 'new' bike back from Canada?
  • alishand

I’m heading out to Canada this year for a spot of riding with some friends.

My plan is to buy a 2nd hand bike for riding whilst out there, bring it back to the UK on my return, and then flip it (the exchange rate makes this a ridiculously tempting thing to do at the moment, and I have no need for a DH bike where I live).

Has anybody had any experience of doing something similar? Is there anything I should be watching out for? (thinking along the lines of tax, customs, airline charges, airlines being fussy about one way extra baggage etc).

mattyfez

I think with it being second hand, no, it’s just your bike that you are traveling with.

The airline will charge to carry it though, most have a ‘sporting goods’ carrige charge or similar, youll have to check the particular airlines policy, and look into how to package it appropritaly to prevent damage in the hold.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Maybe travel out with a bike bag as your luggage – often plenty of room for clothes and lids in them once a bike is in too.

Andy

A mate of mine has done something similar 😉

Bought brand new Turner frame. Shipped to hardware store just over US border. Popped over whilst staying with cousin. Frame in box on hardware store floor when arrived. No duty into Canada (NAFTA applies and passing through country so no Sales tax). Swapped bits from older bike taken out there. Riden. Boxed and carried back into UK through customs with no issue. New Turner with upgraded shock for £800.

zilog6128

You’re supposed to pay 15% duty & VAT on the 2nd hand value, so you might want to factor that in to the overall price in case you get busted!

13thfloormonk

I did pretty much exactly this, bought a bike new in Vancouver, rode it for a week or two (this was at the end of a two year stay in BC) before flying home. Nobody gave it a second glance, and if they had, it wasn’t a new bike any more!

I *guess* if they were being absolute sticklers, they could have proven I had bought it in BC by the ‘Might Riders, Broadway’ sticker on the seat tube, likewise I don’t know if they could check the airlines records to see if you flew out with a bike? You could always claim a friend had flown out before you and taken your bike etc etc.

I think you could assume it would be too much trouble for them to pursue unless you were absolutely blatant about taking a new bike through, you know, by doing something stupid like declaring it to customs 8)

Edit: Airtransat/Canadian Affair were very relaxed and friendly about bikes, even queue jumped me when they saw me having difficulty wheeling my case through the zig-zaggy tensa-barriers at check in. £20/$40 per flight for a bike if I remember right.

aracer
    Free Member

They don’t have to prove anything – you have to prove it’s already had UK tax paid on it (whether it’s new or s/h).

I’m enjoying the tax evasion discussion though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

2nd hand makes no difference. It’s a purchase so subject to same duty and VAT. It’s just the value is obviously not new. However customs are perfectly at liberty to make their own mind up on the value.

Just give it a ride out there and take it back looking ridden. Post all receipts and documents before returning. Don’t have them in the luggage.

Some take a bike out with them. A friend of mine did a comedy one of taking a BSO with Santa Cruz decals then dumped it there 😆 . Though the weight of it going out is an extra cost, plus the chances of tying up what you took out to return is slim. UK customs aren’t generally going to be checking your outbound flight record.

I’ve brought back new and freshly used skis before with nothing going out and no one batted an eyelid.

In my experience UK customs rarely randomly stop regular travellers going through the green channel. They look for specific people they have information about and obviously suspect people.

Stevet1
    Free Member

My plan is to buy a 2nd hand bike for riding whilst out there, bring it back to the UK on my return, and then flip it

Sounds good to me, are you going to try a foam pit first or just huck it on a massive sender?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

HMRC are right now scanning the STW forum and have you tagged!!

Naw pretty much what Deadkenny said.

Pigface
    Free Member

Over the years have brought 3 bikes back and never had a glance from Customs.

13thfloormonk

They don’t have to prove anything – you have to prove it’s already had UK tax paid on it (whether it’s new or s/h).

I’m enjoying the tax evasion discussion though.

Hmm, yes, may have said too much, where’s the edit button when you need it?!

I think in a sort of wooly way I thought I was in the clear anyway as I had taken a bike (that I had bought in the UK) to Canada with me, does that count, in a sort of 1-in-1-out sort of way? 😳

MoreCashThanDash

Luckily I’m not employed in that part of HMRC, but

1) I hope no one on here encouraging or supporting possible tax avoidance/evasion is hypocritical about big business and rich non-doms doing it?

2) WhyTF would you discuss this on an open internet forum?

Sandwich

Luckily I’m not employed in that part of HMRC

But multi-disciplinary enquiries are encouraged under the Homer regime. Not that you would forward a link to the wallahs in import duty. 😉

Mrs S has had some input to this answer! I also have a cousin who works airports at a senior level but he never checks on me on here. Thank god!

nicko74

Bear in mind that the exchange rate at the moment is *very* favourable for tourists to Canada, so if you were in a position to pay tax you’d not be too badly off.

But I’ve brought bikes into various countries and never been asked. Helps that the bike bag looks well-travelled!

aracer
    Free Member

But that’s completely different.

That’s tax avoidance, folks on here are only discussing tax evasion.

slackalice
    Free Member

Buy the bike in Alberta and IIRC the gst is lower. Or at least, it used to be.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bringing a 'new' bike back from Canada?’ is closed to new replies.