Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bring on summer
  • jekkyl

Sick of all the mud at the moment. Just planning out my route in my head for tomorrow and I know that because it’s been raining heavily all day today (& barely been dry for over a month) everywhere is just gonna be a total ****tip. Not that I mind a bit of mud but it’s either stick to cycle paths and hardpack or wade through ankle deep squidgy stuff through the woods, where you can’t get up any decent speed at all. HoHum!

kiksy
    Free Member

Find a big muddy hill. Ride down said big muddy hill trying to stay upright. Repeat until May.

faustus

Yup. Combined with the rush to cut hedges by 1st March, pretty poor out there. Plenty of boring road riding instead 🙁

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Will be a while till it gets dry off-road in the Cotswolds lots of mud on top of more mud glad for CX/Road bikes 😆

SaxonRider

Plenty of boring road riding

Does. Not. Compute.

MoreCashThanDash

It will change. It will get better. It always does.

Yes, I am still on the meds!

jonba
    Free Member

It is always like this. Even when the warmer weather comes it takes time for things to dry out.

A few days at a trail centre usually lift the mood – while wet, at least they are rideable and fun.

Changes in the season on local trails do keep things interesting. IT also gives the illusion of increasing fitness as you get faster when there is less mud!

kimbers

did a good 50k round dyfi valley last sunday, was raining and muddy in places but mostly rocky and great

anyway go to a trail centre, winter is what they were invented for!

maxtorque

kiksy
    Find a big muddy hill. Ride down said big muddy hill trying to stay upright. Repeat until May August

EFA^^^^

molgrips
    Free Member

You need to move somewhere rocky. Ok so there’s still mud around but most of the trails are still rideable.

roverpig

What makes you think summer will be any better 🙂

roach

There’s not much mud around here (Afan area), but I get drenched every time I venture out lately which is starting to grind me down!

Out for the sat mtb group ride tomorrow, showers forecast so we’ll see.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s not much mud around here (Afan area), but I get drenched every time I venture out lately which is starting to grind me down!

*Gets tiny violin out*

I would love to be able to get a lap of Afan in tomorrow.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Sympathise but always feels more like an adventure being out in wild weather and slop. Embrace it and lots more of the year is fun rather wishing weekends away.

Last time it was proper dry and dusty all the grip disappeared!

weeksy

If you’re still riding here tomorrow mate, stay at home. It’s going to be horrific!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Running. You know it makes sense. Came back from a muddy hour on the hills, pulled off shoes and left to dry, socks and leggings needed a wash (and so did I) but that was the extent of it. Shoes do get a wash every so often but that’s an easy indoor job at my convenience not a cold wet mucky struggle outside in the rain when I want a hot shower.

molgrips
    Free Member

Running is perfect except for the fact it’s boring as hell and really grim.

iainc

First Saturday morning kids coaching session of the year tomorrow. It’s looking cold, wet and grim 😯

jekkyl

**** running, way too slow for me. I’d just be wishing I was on a bike. Weeksy it’s next weekend bud.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Running’s not much slower on anything hilly (or muddy), we occasionally have joint bike/run nights with the local club though of course bikes are limited to the tamer trails and they do have an advantage on the flat. Even so running is probably quicker overall if you add on all the faffing about and maintenance for a bike 🙂

piemonster

Used to occasionally run (Peak Distrct) with folk riding MTBs, it didn’t last as I’d get bored waiting for them to catch up.

On the easy descents yeh the bike is faster but not enough to make up for the climbs where bikes can be horrendously slow. And in general the MTB routes were longer in distance as running just beats you up faster.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bring on summer’ is closed to new replies.