Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Brilliant things on the way to work
  • leffeboy

I was just cycling on my way into work this morning as usual when I suddenly came upon this:

Someone had taken one of the lanes of a two lane road and stuck a bike lane right down the middle of it. None of the trying to squeeze and extra teeny lane in right next to the car doors. This was a full on right down the middle job. Brilliant. Cars are even leaving it well alone after only one day rather than driving over it.

Then I realised that the road turned to one lane round the corner so my joy had to end but no….

They’ve only gone and made it priority to bikes not cars. Cars just have to wait behind. And just to prove the point…

We got bike symbols all over the road and all the way down it. 😀

Anyone else had a great start to their day?

crikey
    Free Member

Is that in that Belgium?
    Brussels maybe?

I used to get proper culture shock when we went to stay in Gent and the drivers would stop for us!

DezB
    Free Member

Hmph. Showing off with yer fancy European cycle ways!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

Is that in that Belgium?
    Brussels maybe?

Yep, it’s Brussels. I read up a bit on it and it seems as though it’s another test of something that was tried in another city where it was successful. There is a bit of a risk here as it is on quite a busy street but in summer the bikes can block the street during rush hour anyway so it may not end up being that controversial. Still a brilliant move though rather than the half-assed stuff that we sometimes get. Would love to have full segregated lanes but this may be a good second best

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I read short book riding to work once…

(In Cornwall)

yossarian
    Free Member

I saw an old man on an even older bike puffing away on a fag as he rode slowly but steadily up a pretty large hill the other morning. I probably shouldn’t have been impressed but I was.

RustySpanner

I’ve got this on my commute:

It’s on Crown Point Road, which features in this:

Have ridden it a few times on pootles, but haven’t quite summoned up the balls to ride into work yet though. 😐

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Good to see you out on your new Stoater Rik

leffeboy

How long is the climb?

ianfitz
    Free Member

I can swoop round parkwood springs on my commute but I’d swap that for those bikes lanes!

leffeboy

Good to see you out on your new Stoater Rik

It just rocks. Didn’t think I would get on with the drop bar thing but they aren’t a problem and it is so zoomy and loads of fun offroad

MoreCashThanDash

Was brilliant last week to see a family of 8 tiny ducklings on the canal on the ride in.

Only 7 slightly larger ducklings today – are ducks cannibalistic?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My commute takes in a few sights.

and more.

It’s rather nice, really!

Oh, and so many people on bikes! So many people! Hurrah!

leffeboy

ooo, nice commute indeed. Do you have a camera in your bag all the time (assuming of course you don’t have a gopro and mutter car numberplates to yourself as you ride along)?

jamj1974

The sun, I saw the sun!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leffeboy, I often take a camera on sunny, glorious days. Crossing the Col du Blackfriars on a spring evening at sunset is stunning.

Never needed to record my commute, though. Mainly because I don’t ride like a dick, so never get in to the sort of situation that might merit recording! 🙂

mogrim

Frequently ride past rabbits feeding, storks stalking, cows n horses n donkeys, even had vultures circling overhead a couple of weeks back.

Depending on the time of year the sunrise over Madrid in the distance is pretty cool, too.

Kevevs
    Free Member

A transformer doing some shopping.

Sandwich

Yesterday it was a Kingfisher as the highlight of the commute. The dog also provides some amusement when he’s in the river. Rural commuting is ace, when it’s dry!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yesterday i got abuse from some kids in the form of ” hi dad” as i went past……….

When i was young that wasnt an insult….. Grandad perhaps- implying i was old, but dad !!!

I saw this just before xmas, which made me laugh.

leffeboy

That is why you should always carry a camera 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

No brilliant things today unfortunately
    I got blasted by a lorrys horn for choosing not to ride on the cycle path on a short section of road – again. Really getting sick of this – terror followed quickly by rage. If only it wasnt up hill maybe I could catch the ba****ds up and do……something?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Depending on which way I ride to work and what day it is, I ride past this sometimes. 😀

jmahon
    Free Member

What bike do you ride leffeboy? Looks nice! Wish we had that kind of infrastructure in the UK 🙁

zippykona

My highlight was a kingfisher dropping into the river and catching a fish. I was then able to keep pace with it as it flew along river.
    When I lived on the coast some of the winter sunrises were amazing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I sometimes have this fella swoop along side me as i leave my house to ride to work. – i live in a red kite conservation zone

Sandwich

The last couple of nights I’ve met a chap walking his lab up the river. He’s a wildlife photographer and had some great wax wing pics on his camera. The dog gets to play too which is ace.

ceepers

it’s not strictly on the way to work, more on the “should i skive off being productive and go surfing instead route!”

(yes! if you were wondering)

leffeboy

What bike do you ride leffeboy? Looks nice! Wish we had that kind of infrastructure in the UK

Sorry for being late in replying jmahon, I was out of action for a few days. It’s a very poor picture of a very lovely Shand Stoater.

Steam railway pic is great as well. Seems out of place when you are heading to work. Feels a bit like when they used to run a ferry back from Burnt Island to Edinburgh and you could put you bike on it rather that doing the ride home. Felt like being on holiday.

Marge
    Free Member

Leffeboy; where is that street?
    Haven’t come across it yet on my motorbike commute through Bruss..

adi66
    Free Member

During January’s cold snap, I rode past this little beauty every day, It was a bush that got splashed with water (from a burst pipe up the road) every time a car drove past it.

Looked amazing, and I kinda watched it grow over the days, then die during the freeze, Wish I could have seen it in the daylight, but long working days didn’t allow it.

unovolo
    Free Member

That bush above looks otherworldy,really quite impressive.

ska-49
    Free Member

OP, what road bike is that? Looks lovely!
    Great photos. Keep ’em coming!

leffeboy

Leffeboy; where is that street?
    Haven’t come across it yet on my motorbike commute through Bruss..

Hi Marge

Top end of Ave Louise (general Jacques end). You won’t see it as you’ll be doing 150 down the two lane bit in the middle while we are on the side lanes holding up the traffic 🙂

leffeboy

OP, what road bike is that? Looks lovely!

Shand Stoater and it is just as lovely as I imagined it was going to be which isn’t always the case.

samuri
    Free Member

Since I started going into work half an hour later on my bike, I’ve started passing a nice lady who walks her dog every morning.

We’ve been flirty eye contacting every day for about two weeks.

I’m hoping in a few more weeks that the woman starts doing it as well.

eskay

It is the time of year when the lady joggers come out of hibernation.

They cheer up my morning commute.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Brilliant things on the way to work’ is closed to new replies.