Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Brilliant meals on the cheap
  • user-removed
    Free Member

The Oyster Shed in Carbost, Skye, is just incredibly cheap. Lobsters, oysters, all manner of other seafood caught locally. Couldn’t be fresher.

The word has got out now, so it’s a good idea to arrive early… Oh, and you have to eat al-fresco, albeit with a roof of sorts.

Cougar

MSG symptom complex anyone?

Selective quoting syndrome, anyone?

However, researchers have found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and these symptoms.

tomhoward

Marstons chicken shop in Huddersfield

/thread

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A truckstop on the road from Luxor to Hurghada. My taxi driver stopped for a piss and grabbed himself a snack. I pointed and acted hungry, he got me the same as him. Fresh local bread, goat cheese and that was it. The sun was rising, it was freezing cold and with a glass of hot, black tea I have never eaten anything that tasted better. I had nothing small enough to pay for it. I gave him a decent tip when we got to town.
    I can still remember that snack from 15 years ago.

kennyp
    Free Member

Bugger about knoydart, yes it was a while ago.
    Want to go back there but might go self catering rather than camp and pub next time then

Sadly yes, it is no longer the great place it used to be. Check out the recent TripAdvisor reviews. Would love to see the local community buying it. For me it was up there with the Applecross Inn in terms of fresh food (and I suspect this ridiculous North Coast 500 nonsense will see standards there dip).

If you are in Knoydart check out a place called Doune. Not the easiest of places to get to, but the food (if you like seafood) was superb.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Maureens pie and mash shop in Chrisp st market, Poplar, the best pie, mash and liquor going and some seriously healthy portions of saltbeef, great value at less that a fiver each!
    https://www.facebook.com/MaureensPieNMash/

Any Beigels from the 24hr Beigel Bake on brick lane are good but the saltbeef with a pickle on the side is the one to go for.
    http://www.beigelbake.com

hodgynd
    Free Member

KennyP
    Right there with you on The Applecross Inn
    I had the fish pie twice while staying in a holiday cottage in Upper Toscaig* a couple of years back ..considering how busy the place gets its a credit to them that their standards don’t drop.
    The take away fish & chips van over the road is also really good ( this also belongs to the pub.).

*The track over to Airigh Drishaigh is a great there and back short ride..if you can negotiate the deer fence about a km.into the ride ..dont be tempted to go around the coast from there ..the track on the map isn’t there ..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh cripes the Bagel shop in Brick Lane, only really good at 4am after a dance off in the clubs … acceptable at any other time of course but 4am on a cold autumn morning just before sunrise 😉

For some reason no one has posted this, not sure why but I think we’re all turning into foodie snobs..

I give you:

smell_it
    Free Member

The Fat Cat cooked by your Nan style homely dinners for a fiver, with school dinner style puddings, all served with lashings of extremely good beer. I guess a lot of this depends on your definition of brilliant, but it’s in their for me.

And of course This and That.

And the palace of breakfast which is the Cafe Delight.

blader1611
    Free Member

Went on holiday to Langkawi in Malaysia and ate 6 curried potato samosa for 30p and their version of chicken korma which they translated as white chicken curry and it was amazing and that cost £1.50. It was in a small cafe in an incredible place which must have had no more than about 5 people passing it a day, i dont know how they survived but i guess my tips were probably more than he made in the week and i am a tightwad.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

What’s it called? I need to get dinner in central weegie land on Tuesday night

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Marstons chicken shop in Huddersfield

I’ll be in Huddersfield next week, that place looks good 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ohh cripes the Bagel shop in Brick Lane, only really good at 4am after a dance off in the clubs … acceptable at any other time of course but 4am on a cold autumn morning just before sunrise

+10000 🙂

Which reminds me, is that all-night cake shop/café still in Camden? Flouro lights at 3am but cake. And what cake.

somafunk

Trip advisor tells me it’s called Angies Cafe (link here), doesn’t look like much but it is always busy with the asian community so i guess thats a good thing.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

^ ta!

enfht
    Free Member

senorj

Karl’s Tea hut in Epping forest.
    Cheese and pickle roll , coffee & cherry fruit cake for £3.80! 🙂

shinton
    Free Member

Seeing that Iceland ad reminds me of the staff canteen at Head Office Chester. Sample menu for the week below with all dishes £3 and cooked by a top chef.

Monday
    Penne Pasta , King Prawns with Tomato and Lime
    Pulled Beef Chilli with rice
    Sea bass with, seared Cucumber, creamed Leeks and Shrimps
    Roast Basil Chicken ,Fine Ratatouille ,Chorizo cream

Tuesday
    Smoked Haddock fish cake, poached egg and Parmesan cream
    Slow cooked spiced Lamb with flatbreads and Raita
    Cod wrapped with Pancetta set on Butternut squash Risotto
    Sesame roast Duck breast

Wednesday
    Lasagne, herbed green salad
    Roast best end of Lamb, garlic creamed Potatoes
    Tandoori spiced Tuna steak, Spinach Pakora, curry sauce
    Burgundy style braised Venison, Lardons and Mushrooms

Thursday
    Jerusalem Artichoke raviolis ,Celeriac crisps , Mushroom cream
    Breaded Chicken escalope, toasted Brioche, Kale slaw
    Line caught and smoked Mackerel, Horseradish crème fraiche
    Home made Pork pie, Wensleydale Cheese and Piccalilli

Friday
    Fusilli Pasta spicy sausage meatballs ,Tomato and Basil Ragu
    Vodka Battered Haddock, Fat Chips and mushy Peas
    Rib eye steak, cracked Pepper and cognac sauce
    Goujons of Lemon Sole, Mango Mayonnaise

RoterStern
    Free Member

When I lived in Taiwan there was this lunch buffet shop that a lot of locals went to where you basically filled a card box with what you wanted to eat from the massive buffet and it was weighed and you paid for it. It usually cost around $NT 50 which was the equivalent of 30p or so. Delicious too. Eating out was so cheap there it really wasn’t worth cooking anything at home.

benp1

It’s a bit different finding brilliant meals on the cheap in developing countries – particularly asia. Street food is cheap, quick and tasty

Trying to do the same in the UK requires know how – I’m interested to know where that cake shop is in Camden….!

qwerty
    Free Member

A good few years ago we stumbled into a food hall in Singapore airport that serves the airport workers, it was very good and very cheap.

weeksy

LOL it’s great having all these places in Singapore, Taiwan and India…

Sadly its £500 to fly to them to get the food.

DrP

Abroad… I stayed in a university in southern Thailand many years ago – the ‘tented canteen place’ was amazing, an 10 baht for any dish basically – at the time it was 70bht to the GBP…

But the absolue bomb was they fried mini donuts in a huge wok of oil… 1 baht per donut… me and may made were in donut heaven!!!!!

Here in the UK, I can’t rate “Thai street food” in a little alley in Worthing highly enough.
    Yamin, the women who owns and runs it, is mental!! You order a chicken dish, and she tell you “no daling, you want pork”… clearly she’s got an excess of pork to use up.. I admire that level of customer service!!!

it’s about £7 for a dish that will serve 2 easily.

DrP

theboatman
    Free Member

Shahenshah in Derby is one of my favourites. You could easily walk past the place as it looks more like a sweet centre. It’s been doing a fine job of filling my belly for over 20 year’s!

slowoldman

Any vacancies shinton? I’ll do anything.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Brilliant meals on the cheap’ is closed to new replies.