Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Brighton with the wife
  • blitz

The wife and I met at uni in Brighton many years ago and have fond memories of the place. Now 37 with kids and it’s our wedding anniversary coming up so I’ve arranged childcare and plan to take her back for a night to celebrate.

I’ve booked the hotel but haven’t been back there for a long while so wondered if any locals have any recommendations for food, drinks, maybe somewhere not full of kids for a bit of nightlife sampling?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Avoid the Jamie Oliver Pizza restaurant. It’s rubbish, trading on name only.

spooky_b329

Food for Friends is good if you don’t insist on a steak with every meal. Some great/interesting/inventive veggie dishes. I’m not veggie but still love the place…not been for ages 🙁

theotherjonv

gorge yourself on coffee and a tasting plate at choccywoccydoodah

wwaswas

Terre a Terre is another veggie place worth a visit (I’m not a veggie)

Ginger Man is good for meat.

wallop

Last time we went to Brighton we saw Top Buzz and Slipmatt at Concorde 2. It was a bit messy. You probably don’t want to do that 😆

jsync

Riddle & finns on the beach or lanes. 10 green bottles for some wine.

blitz

Cheers,will have a look at those recommendations. Not too keen on veggie only. Normally go for meat and fish/seafood combo.

Used to love concorde2. Was really into breakbeat at uni and was a regular at The big beat boutique nights.

Is Casablanca’s still going? That was always a laugh.

5lab

casablancas is still going but you might find yourself a feeling your age in there..

the i360 is generally well reviewed by other locals I know who’ve been – I think they have a bar on board, could be a nice aperativ

pictonroad

The Salt Rooms on the front. New (ish) restaurant, Mrs took me there for my Birthday, outstanding. It’s chilled out, very nicely done and very Brighton. If you want character, a bit more rough round the edges then AguaDulce tapas restaurant is a great night out and the food is awesome.

There’s a tiny little cocktail venue called the Plotting Parlour tucked away near the pier. It’s lovely, highly recommend heading there afterwards.

wallop

Concorde2 it is then! Top romancing, that 😆

5lab

64 degrees is also excellent, but often full (so book) and you sit at a table with other people, which might not be what you want on an anniversary

ontor
    Free Member

Sams in kemptown was our fabourite…

geetee1972
    Free Member

My top tip – be on the beach at sunrise on Sunday morning. It’s quite a sight!

The things you see on Brighton Beach at sunrise on a Sunday

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VFpUMp]Sax on the Beach – On the Beach[/url] by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Riddle & Finns is also my personal favourite eating house in Brighton though I much prefer the one in the Lanes than on the front.

The best coffee in Brighton is served at ‘The Small Batch Coffee Shop’ here:

Small Batch Coffee

mrmoofo

64 Degrees is brilliant – but small and gets booked up quickly
    Chili Pickle for high quality Indian
    The Market Place – interesting varied food in small taster plates
    The Set – but you do have to choose from one of the set menus!
    The Edge has a growing reputation…
    Riddle & Finns on the boardwalk (the one in the Lanes has it’s head shoved right up it’s own arse)
    The Pike & Pine at Red Roasters in st Jimmy’s St

Sam’s is gone … and TBH he lost interest so it was bit rubbish at the end
    24 St James is closing … because of the Southern Rail Strike and Brexit apparently

Ginger Pig / Ginger Man / Ginger Dog are all good …
    Not sure I get the Salt Rooms. It’s okay but the reviews and reality are not the same , as it’s sister restaurant the CoalShed

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

What food do you like?

Indian, chilli pickle or Indian summer, which is brilliant
    Mangetout near the station, or plateau nearer the front are ok French places.
    Pho is good and next to the hell hole that is Jamie’s
    Current faves, Carlito Burrito for Mexican street food, but that’s away from the front.
    Burger Brothers for fast food.

Cocktails, upstairs at Oki Nami, next to the theatre royal, merkaba next to the chilli pickle where they also spin some music,

wrightyson
    Free Member

Lovely lovely little racecourse, probably no help but had a great day out there, then hit the lanes later on that evening.

DezB
    Free Member

What’s this used to do Concorde 2?? They still have great bands there! King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard a few weeks ago, very sweaty.
    Patterns is a good little club – worth checking website to see what they have on that evening.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A guy at work recommended a bar/Thai place called The Office – I never got a chance to visit but he said it was (or used to be) good.

5lab

The office does defend ‘pub thai’ (as a few other places in Brighton do – st James and the pond to name a couple), but I wouldn’t really consider it anniversary fodder, especially on a Saturday night

jsync

The office for gin but as above anniversary place it is not.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The office for gin but as above anniversary place it is not.

Ah yeah, thinking about it, he did mention it was a busy pub, so a venue for a quiet anniversary meal is probably not ideal!

blitz

Thanks again for the advice. Had a look at some of the restaurants mentioned and lots of great looking options. Thinking I might go for Riddle and Finns as the seafood on the website menu sounds fantastic.

Was talking to someone else today about places to go out after and there was a mention of Bohemia. Any opinions on that?

wallop

Concorde2….. ..bands….

That ain’t right

DezB
    Free Member

Yes it is

mrmoofo

Bohemia … it’s okay but a themed trendy bar ….
    Right next to 64 Degrees
    The Black Dove is better ,,,

5lab

black dove is nice, but a bit of a mission. Bohemia used to have 2 for 1 cocktails at certain times of day, and is thus rammed then (might only be weekdays, or they might have stopped it now anyway).

I’ve heard good things about this place http://www.byoc.co.uk/brighton

take your own bottle of whatever with you and they spend an hour making cocktails out of it

blitz

Thanks again. The Black dove looks a good option actually. We’re staying at Malmaison at the Marina (got a good deal) so that’ll be en route back.

blitz

Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions on here. Had a cracking night last night. Ended up eating at Riddle and Finns in the lanes which was fantastic. Some of the best seafood we’ve ever eaten. Stayed in the lanes for a few drinks and then finished the evening at the black dove which was pretty cool. Wife was amused that the night was basically planned on here, so thanks from her too!

jamj1974

Thanks for reminding me of some of the Brighton venues… Dad lived in Hove from when I was 18 – so Brighton was a bit of a home from home nightlife-wise. Good times!

shermer75
    Free Member

Giles Peterson at the Zap Club? Vintage lols

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Glad you had a good one. Picked up some useful tips from this thread.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Brighton with the wife’ is closed to new replies.