Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 225 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog – Training
  • chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think we can count on the weather just yet…

Paceman
    Free Member

Agree ChiefGuru, the ground up there is saturated not far below the surface, more downpours could quickly wreck it again.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m not taking my MudX tyres off until possibly the day before!

Napalm
    Free Member

The course is drying well & we helped to drain the puddles in ‘Jungle’ & lopped a fair bit of the overgrowth on Sunday; it will be good.
    Same course as last year unless the weather changes dramatically. We’re pretty much sold out & looking to welcome all our riders to a great days riding.

Paceman
    Free Member

Great work Napalm, is was certainly riding better this morning, ‘welcome to the jungle’ particularly good 🙂

darkcyan
    Free Member

I’ll second that – wouldn’t be possible with
    out a lot of hard work from many unsung heroes.

Taff
    Free Member

Good work. Don’t suppose anyone has last years GPX in case I do go? Are the non-Big dog trails good too?

darkcyan
    Free Member

Out of interest what bikes are you guys riding.

I will be on my new (to me) asr5 (alu)which i think will be a big improvement on the yeti 575 used last year – just wasnt the tool for the job.

Paceman will be on his tallboy, also coming off a 575 – what about the rest of you?

Am guessing a mix of hardtails and full suss.

Any tyre preferences?

DC

Taff
    Free Member

Riding an epic. Tyres are MudX now with the possibility of being change to captains /fast traks if the weather doesn’t deteriorate too much

chiefgrooveguru

I’ll be hauling round an orange Cotic Soul in gravity enduro (aka max-fun-but-not-at-all-XC-race) spec. Am hoping to at least manage some overtakes downhill, aided by big forks, a dropper post, big sticky tyres and local knowledge! 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Will be on a blue Tallboy. Maxxis Beavers for me front and rear unless it stays dry all next week then I may risk something a little more summer orientated. Will be a late decision though!

Taff, the non-Big Dog trails are great fun, at least as good as the ones used for the race loop.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

on my new enigma ergo st can’t wait!! 7 laps poss if averaging 50 min laps?? but we will see

wwaswas

Rode a lot of the trails in the bit of Stanmer that isn’t the Big Dog course last night.

It’s all dried out really well and was riding the fastest it has for months.

If it stays reasonably dry for the next week and a bit you’ll be wanting summer tyres 🙂

Napalm
    Free Member

Last year’s course and this year’s course:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109214865

chiefgrooveguru

Not liking the weather forecast…

Taff
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for it…

Paceman
    Free Member

Rode both sides of Stanmer this morning, the trails are the best they’ve been for months, hardpack for the most part with just a few softer sections left where there were larger puddles. If it stays dryish for the next week the BigDog should be fast and fun. Fingers crossed eh 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks for the intel Paceman… if you can ride it on thursday next week too then that would be most appreciated 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Taff

Will keep you posted as I only live a mile or so from Stanmer.

Paceman

muggomagic

I rode last years route on Thursday evening. It’s pretty dry, just a few boggy sections at the top. The forecast doesn’t look too promising, but what the heck it’ll just make that finish line beer taste even sweeter.

ellsy
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from riding a lap of the course – it’s lovely in there now! Hardly any mud at all. The forecast is a bit rubbish for tomorrow and Tuesday, but I’m hopeful that it could dry out in time for Saturday. Quite excited about racing now!

Paceman
    Free Member

Did a couple of loops of the course this morning. First thing it was drier than I’ve seen it in months, but after a couple of short heavy downpours some of the trails at the top were sloppy again. Alot will depend on how dry it stays this week, but It’s all rideable and great fun, just take care with your tyre choice 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

Was out with Paceman in the cloud burst and the roots became a bit of a nightmare – bad scenario in Stanmer is dry roots (hard) with rain (slippy).

Actually worse than just plain old wet as the roots soften up a bit and are less slippy and ride ok.

Fingers crossed tha the rain holds off or at least it drys up on Thursday / Friday.

All sections riding well until the rain came.

DC

darkcyan
    Free Member

Hmmm just checked the BBC weather forecast – probalbly wise to bring mud tyres as a precaution. Thinking Mud x up front might be a good idea with intermediate on the back to keep things moving.

Looks like summer tyres not the best choice.

DC

darkcyan
    Free Member

Could my trailraker on the rear be the nuclear option?

wwaswas

Was still some gloopy patches on the course today too.

TimP
    Free Member

That’s nice, you spend 2 hours cutting me up and generally getting in my way and I don’t even get a mention. Looks like I might be weeing in your specially prepared bottles on Saturday whilst you are out on the course….

Paceman
    Free Member

Tim… LOL 😆 Nearly spat my cuppa out.

Great ride today, looking forward to the race now. Don’t worry, Darkcyan will be behind us 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

All for those that want to know – TimP was there too this morning.

Also Mark who doesn’t have a forum name but is a great guy.

No one else I know was there.

I should also mention TimP’s crank fell off half way down Jedi!

TimP then followed my secret lines for the rest of the ride – always a bad move.

DC

N.b. High Five energy drink (lemon flavour) tastes like piss anyway so probably wouldn’t notice.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I was there yesterday afternoon and the trails were nice and dry, but I am keeping my mud tires on for the race 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Light rain overnight and forecast for this morning, but not enough to make it really bad again. I’d at least put some mud tyres in the boot of the car on Saturday, but I reckon they won’t be needed 😆

Hope to get to Stanmer for a quick last minute spin later this week, will report back then.

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks Paceman

VanHalen

taking the scenic route home later so will report in on the downwards bits on the park side of the 27.

that is if i dont get tempted with a wild park old faithful strava run…

VanHalen

messed about on the lower sections and main descent and all good except the bit before the jungle that you hit blind which is a massive bog. very sketchy at full chat (nearly OTB) but it will dry out with lots of riders and just be massive holes.

gonna do a full lap later but i recon its all dry.

2nd on my wild park strava run. i need to man up on these clippy pedals.

woodsman
    Free Member

It was a bit waxy in places last night, especially if riding hard on the singletrack, which is my only strength at the moment!

Forecast is a bit shabby neither one way or other – can’t say I’m relishing the thought of it right now.

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s been raining steadily for the last few hours, get the mud tyres on!

Taff
    Free Member

Ah great… chuffed to hear that…

chiefgrooveguru

It’s not been raining that much just the other side of the A27 from Stanmer.

wwaswas

I’m heading over that way later on – I’ll try and report back.

Although I’m avoiding the bottom half of the course to avoid further pre-race erosion. Even Cathedral was a bit squidgy at the weekend.

wwaswas

Had a fantastic ride at Stanmer last night.

Couple of bits on the Big Dog course were fairly squidgy but there were dry lines forming through even those.

I thought everyone was in for a real treat.

and then it absolutely peed down when I was about 200 yards from home and carried on for some time 🙁

I think if there’s no significant rain for the next couple of days it’ll all be ok though.

personally I wouldn’t be putting semi-slicks on and expecting to be ok, though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog – Training’ is closed to new replies.