Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 225 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog – Training
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Fellow Big Doggers – please share your training regime for the race.

Its got quite a couple of climbs that put you in the red so quick recovery is a must.

Would also be interested in feeding strategy for solos!

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not really any different to any other race! Eat little and often, don’t go out too hard, and hope its dry!

wwaswas

If you’re local ride Stanmer a lot. If not then lots of short steep climbs.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m going to have a feed station somewhere near the start/finish with gels taped to bottles. SO can grab one thing as I pass. May if needed put two gels On every other bottle, not sure yet. Will also have some bananas. Just worrie about people helping themselves which has apparently been happening at other events recently.

As far as training goes then I’ve been using Strava. Hitting mid-week loops quite hard and having a variety of uphill segments (lengths and gradient). Burata of energy to te short climbs and the high steady cadence on the long climbs. Weekend rides are all about the distance and nothing to do with Strava

darkcyan
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts – I will be riding as much of the course as often i can – looking to hardwire the best lines on the two tricky climbs and at the same time trying to keep my heart rate down to avoid slowing up at the top of each – easier said than done.

I think keeping out of the red is the way to do well in this race – especially as i am doing the solo.

DC

NB – has the course been finalised for this year – any major changes?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Try not to ride into any trees.

Taff
    Free Member

Been watching the YouTube clips of the course. Really need to get over there so need to arrange to me a yocal to show me the sites at some point

Paceman
    Free Member

Taff, check in with BrightonMTB on a Thursday evening for a taster of the BigDog trails. See their website for details, great bunch of guys and responsible for most of the trail building around Stanmer.

DarkCyan, secret training is the key!

darkcyan
    Free Member

Paceman – secret training is underway as well as my new secret weapon aka Yeti Asr5.

Could be the bike of choice for Big Dog – that is unless you have a Santa Cruz Tallboy!!!

darkcyan
    Free Member

Which leads me to the question – what is the best bike for big dog for your average punter – not the pros!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m losing my big dog cherry and having literally not raced for
    18 years would be interested in some tips! If I usually ride at Swinley, what sort of training should I be aiming to do there? I”ve entered the pairs with a mate who’s never raced before so we won’t be taking it very seriously but still want to do ok!

I’ll be on an Epic.

Paceman
    Free Member

Based on a demo ride yesterday around Stanmer I’d say the ASR5 is perfect for BigDog.

darkcyan
    Free Member

hughjayteens – Epic should be fine around stanmer.

My best suggestion is to get a look at the course prior to the event which will give you a good idea of whats in store and you can plan your training based on this

If its dry i would go for an intermediate tyre up front – fast race tyre at the back – if its wet be sure to bring mud tyres – mud x or something similar anything else wont work very well in the wet.

The course is tough, rooty, technical in parts but doable for most regular riders though easy it is not.

There are a couple of tough technical climbs that put you in the red with other climbs thrown in that all sap at the legs.

There are also some tricky descents that require concentration.

I would concentrate on power endurance – riding for prolonged periods just below threshhold while avoiding going into the red, preferably single track – quick recovery is key to getting a good time.

In the last couple of weeks before the ride try and get some quality speed work in, that includes very steep, technical, one – three minute climbs if you have access to them.

Last thought is to make sure you pace yourself – if you go out fast unless you are very very fit you will pay for it.

Hope this helps.

DC

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Great info – thanks for that. One question – what do you mean by going into the red?

Will start in the morning!

Paceman
    Free Member

I think…

Going into the ‘Red’ = reaching your Anaerobic Threshold / VO2 Max.

I.e. try to stay just below this level for the most part.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Might be a daft question but how do I find my anaerboic threshold?!

cheers

Paceman
    Free Member

Might be a daft question but how do I find my anaerobic threshold?!

Find a big long hill climb and ride up it as fast as you can… when you’re so out of breathe you start to feel sick and/or dizzy then you’re probably there 😉

readikus

Might be a daft question but how do I find my anaerobic threshold?!

I use the Joe Friel method for testing my lactic threshold. It’s horrible, but you need to warm up for 10 minutes, then start a 30 minute time trial. Needs to be done completely solo. After 10 minutes of TT effort, switch your heart rate monitor on and ride as hard as you can for 20 minutes. Stop the HRM, then have a 10-15 minute cool down. The average heart rate you can maintain for the 20 minutes is your lactic threshold heart rate (LTHR). Best done on a turbo with lots of towels 😉

Also, it’s good to think about the difference between technique for hill climbing in an endurance race, compared with a 90 minute XC race. Economy becomes much more important, so don’t be afraid to use the granny ring 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Me and a mate had a go yesterday at riding the last year’s Big Dog course loop. Some of the climbs are unrideable in current conditions, worse than it was in mid-winter, and the more-commonly used singletrack trail sections on that side of Stanmer are getting very eroded. As a local i’m worried now about the impact of 200+ riders using the trails for 6 hours.

wwaswas

I’ve pretty much stopped riding Stanmer for the past month. The trails are just getting worse and worse.

Winter ground conditions with summer levels of riders 🙁

At least the Big Dog course only uses a small part of the singletrack available.

I do wonder at what point it’s worth trying to get some of the other stuff ‘closed’ for a while before it’s destroyed completely, though?

chiefgrooveguru

Despite being a singletrack fanatic I haven’t ridden Stanmer for over a month – the only way there’s a chance of Big Dog’s riding being decent is if everyone leaves it alone for the next few weeks and it stops bloody raining…

The riding out on the Downs and in less well known areas is still good – there’s lots of mud and puddles but there are also drier faster bits and all the climbs can be pedalled.

I wonder if the Big Dog course will be changed to shift the climbing onto more fireroad (but I’m not sure what’s possible with causing crossover points and/or wrecking the fireroads too if it’s wet!)?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My training is almost non existent at present due to business and family commitments. Only getting a couple of 2 hour rides a week in so not expecting to be on the podium!

How quickly does it dry out there if by some miracle it stops raining any time soon?

Paceman
    Free Member

3-4 days of dry warm summer weather, ideally with a breeze as well, would make it more rideable, but it will still be pretty fragile I think now as a lot of erosion has already taken place as mentioned above.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Rode Stanmer today for the first time. Was shown around the great singletrack the park has to offer by a very helpful (and bloody fast) local (Dave if you see this sorry I lost you when I stopped to look for my dropped phone, and thanks!). Was generally very muddy but appears to be drying up fast if this weather holds until the race.

Taff
    Free Member

Still keeping the mud tyres on ;-p Glad to hear its drying out though. Looking forward to the race especially racing my brother in law!

darkcyan
    Free Member

All the trails are drying out nicely – if the rain stays away no problem at all.

Had a quick scoot around the park today and got up the two toughest climbs – though badgers still damp.

Stayed clear of some of the big dog trails as they are pretty churned up so no point in adding to the damage.

If it stays dry there could be some interesting ruts forming to add a bit of spice to events.

Hopefully the trails will settle down and no lasting damage caused.

DC

darkcyan
    Free Member

nb – moving into final phase of preperaration – riding very steep rooty climbs at every opportunity this week while trying to stay out of the red – almost impossible on badgers unless dry.

6 hour of this course is the ultimate test.

Its gonna hurt from the off!!!!

DC

njee20
    Free Member

You really are obsessed with this ‘going into the red’ thing aren’t you?! It’s a race, If you want to plod on (nowt wrong with that) then so be it, but if you want to do well, going hard at least at the start to get ahead of riders really is a must!

It’s only 6 hours, just enjoy it!

Taff
    Free Member

6 hours isn’t too bad really. Course can’t be any worse than Newnham was a few weeks ago. Think it’ll be a laugh

darkcyan
    Free Member

Njee 20 / taff – have you ever ridden big dog?

It really is a beast – to get the best out of yourself whatever your level you need to manage the numerous killer climbs as best you can.

Badgers is extremely steep and rooty and i estimate is 200 meters in length.

There is a second 100 meter climb that is very steep as well.

If you want to do well you have to manage these climbs or you will be off and walking – which 50% of ridders do.

Would love to take you round to give you a flavour.

Alternatively you may know the course and just be very fit!

DC

chiefgrooveguru

Personally I’ve always found the Coldean climb harder than Badgers but maybe that’s because it’s later in the lap (and I’ve never raced it solo)?

Taff
    Free Member

just be very fit!

erm 😳

have you ever ridden big dog? It really is a beast – to get the best out of yourself whatever your level you need to manage the numerous killer climbs as best you can.

Badgers is extremely steep and rooty and i estimate is 200 meters in length.
    There is a second 100 meter climb that is very steep as well.
    If you want to do well you have to manage these climbs or you will be off and walking – which 50% of ridders do.

I’m relatively ok on the steep climbs to be honest even after several hours of riding. If there are a lot of people on the section taking up the better lines or if its excessively energy sapping to ride as opposed then I would probably run it.

Was hoping to ride this Sunday to find out where Stanmer is and also learn a bit of the course but this changed my opinion and think best left until race day unless someone advises otherwise on course conditions.

Stayed clear of some of the big dog trails as they are pretty churned up so no point in adding to the damage.

wwaswas

Stanmer was pretty bad on Sunday when I popped in for a look.

If the current weather continues it should be dry after a couple of weeks though.

It is a fairly tough course – more than vertical 2000ft of climbing per lap I think?

VanHalen

badgers gets you blowing a bit but generally isnt too bad unless its wet then its almost unrideable.

the one on the opposite side of a27 is steeper but over quick.

its all the other climbs that get me! im in it for the downs personally and if poss id love to crack out a sub 40min lap. i`m on the xc bike htis year rather than the freeride bike so it could be possible.

damo2576
    Free Member

more than vertical 2000ft of climbing per lap I think

Really? I dont recall that much climbing there?

Edit; oh, feet!

darkcyan
    Free Member

Van halen you are right – i just concentrated on the obvious ones to give a flavour – i forgot to mention the first 15 minutes is mostly uphill as well – i’m sure there is more up than down – but thats just daft!!!!

I’m going solo this year so no 40 minute laps for me – going for 5 laps – best scenario 6.

Taf – trails will be ok by Sunday for a quick scoot round i should think – the damage has been done in the wet.

Should be some nice ruts to contend with as well as the roots as it drys out.

You guys must be super fit by the sound of it.

I have done a lot of training for this race but unfortunately being 15 stone the ups take their toll!!!!

Should have taken up rugby!

DC

Nb rode this on the yeti 575 last year (28lbs) – this year on asr5 running 120 on the front – 26.5 lbs and perfect for this course

darkcyan
    Free Member

N.b. Taf on review – you are right i have used the phrase in the red too much in this thread – point taken. 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Would love to do a couple of sub-40min laps but will need to reign myself in a bit as i’m going 6hrs solo.

Had a quick hours blast around Stanmer this morning, most of it is rolling ok now, it just irks me to see how wide the singletrack has become on some of the more popular trails where people have tried to ride round the mud :evil:. A couple more hot days and dryish weather next week and it should be ok again for BigDog.

Darkcyan, I’m surprised you haven’t brought up the tyre topic yet 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

DC, the ASR5 is perfect for Big Dog I agree.

JRTG
    Free Member

Looking forward to it! If damp running badgers and the coledean one is the way forwards anyway, no point sitting and spinning, in fact I may run it anyway cyclocross stylee. My gps only registered 1000f on a 7.6 mile lap so should be ok.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog – Training’ is closed to new replies.