Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 441 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Will we be seeing many dropper posts I wonder? if it’s dry no point imo based on previous years, but in the wet could be handy.
    if you had one fitted would you remove?

The benefits far outweigh the 200g weight penalty, and I think a dropper post is more relevant in dry conditions when you lean the bike more into corners and need the saddle tucked out of way; in the wet it often pays around Stanmer to keep the bike more upright in my experience 😯

You’ll see Darkcyan, well maybe you will 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

can anyone share any information on the course this year.

Also what kind of training hours / routine you putting in, any special reps for big dog i.e. going up and down short sharp hills for example or old school just riding lots.

DC

john_l
    Free Member

It’s in August, isn’t it? Just checking 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Darkcyan likes to start worrying about BigDog as early as he can 😉

wwaswas

Everyone needs a bit of time to experiment and find the right tyre pressure.

VanHalen

I wonder if I’ ll be around this year. Quite fancy a go solo… Shame they made the course crud, tho I understand why, it’s putting me off. With a bit of training I reckon 6 laps is a goer

darkcyan
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the course is changing this year again, sure the revised map in the Big Dog site is different.

Just got signed up and wondering whether to do Brighton MTB this evening.

It says it will Brighten up but looks awful out my window.

TimP
    Free Member

I will make it my goal to beat you by just 1 second this year. I know how upset you were by 2 seconds last year so it should make you feel better?

wwaswas – I had the garage re-roofed this week and the spare white good should be out of it by the weekend so three should be more bike space in there. I should be able to come and collect your cx bike on Sunday or Monday if that suits?

darkcyan
    Free Member

My one and only goal is to beat you TimP. I find it helps me train much harder 😉

Won’t hang around for you this time!

TimP
    Free Member

Last year I was fat, unfit and on my 26″ SS. I was overtaken by a bloke on an Xtracycle at one point on a course that was about 90% uphill.
    You had the trails alive under your geared 29er…

It has clearly affected you deeply. Maybe the dropper post will make all the difference this year

wwaswas

TimP – either should be fine, send me a text a bit nearer the time.

Glad to see it going somewhere with a good roof 🙂

matthewcwoods
    Free Member

darkcyan have you actually signed up yet? Wouldn’t want you to conveniently not be able to enter.

darkcyan
    Free Member

That’s a very original user name Matt, was hoping for something like “stravaMan” or “Pink gloves” or “Girls Helmet” or something of that ilk!

Anyway – all signed up so no excuses!

Paceman
    Free Member

That’s a very original user name Matt, was hoping for something like “StravaMan” or “Pink gloves” or “Girls Helmet” or something of that ilk!

😆 😆 😆

Paceman
    Free Member

Welcome to STW Matt, it’s more addictive than Breaking Bad 🙄

Hope your knee mends soon, I’ll email you a link to those knee pads,

Paceman

TimP
    Free Member

I want to know what the C is for. Cuthbert? Camilla?

darkcyan
    Free Member

stanmer mud fest last night. good turn out though. could have done with the dropper on a few occassions.

darkcyan
    Free Member

for those interested in doing big dog 2014 places always fill up quickly. sign up quite soon to avoid disappointment.

darkcyan
    Free Member

anyone out there gone from 29er to 650b on their xc bike?

Paceman
    Free Member

darkcyan – Member
    anyone out there gone from 29er to 650b on their xc bike?

Most riders if some of the magazines are to be believed; in reality probably a core few early adopters. I’d like a go on one to see, but I can’t see me replacing my 26/29″ collection with the middle size.

woodsman
    Free Member

Dropper post in Stanmer!! 😯

darkcyan
    Free Member

[Dropper post in Stanmer!!]

Yeah, not so much for the downs though it can help, just as much for off camber muddy corners and moving around on the bike. Certainly a plus in darkest muddy winter.

60% of BMTB on droppers last night.

chiefgrooveguru

Dropper post in Stanmer!!

You wouldn’t understand, you’re already closer to the ground than most of us with our droppers dropped! 😛

grievoustim
    Free Member

seriously – are people still riding Stanmer right now? I rode through this morninig, and opted to stay off the singletrack

Surely it needs a bit of a rest to recover and dry out after the winter we’ve had?

chiefgrooveguru

seriously – are people still riding Stanmer right now? I rode through this morninig, and opted to stay off the singletrack
    Surely it needs a bit of a rest to recover and dry out after the winter we’ve had?

Riding many of the trails is cutting them down to the chalk so they’ll dry out faster. The muddiest trails are the newest ones with the deepest topsoil.

darkcyan
    Free Member

suns out, flowers are out . things are looking up. remarkable how the trails dry out!

lardman
    Free Member

@darkcyan

How are the trails…..? just thinking about heading out tomorrow. I haven’t been in Stanmer in over a month and last time it was impassable (riding) in many places… Are there signs of drying?

anyone else been out today? (Saturday)

mattjg
    Free Member

Note to posters: Big Dog is in August. It’s still ski season!

Wuff wuff!

(checking in).

darkcyan
    Free Member

No – still v muddy – but a week of sun / wind does wonders.

if you do go out then Uni side.

DC

woodsman
    Free Member

You wouldn’t understand, you’re already closer to the ground than most of us with our droppers dropped!

Surprised you can see that far ahead to tell

😛

darkcyan
    Free Member

mattig, how are the cocks;-)

u in this year, ss?

coming down for a bit of stanmer training at some point?

DC

darkcyan
    Free Member

March Topic:

What’s your Big Dog Bike set up and why?

Will post my own answer tomorrow 😉

wwaswas

I’m going to steal the Scandal back from DrP and put some gears on it 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Nick (IIRC) the Cocks are doing good, there is a Big Dog thread on the Cock forum déja!

http://dorkingcocks.freeforums.org/brighton-big-dog-2014-t848.html

not sure personally what’s going on, am already in RideLondon the week before and can get only so many passes. happy to come down for a ride about of course.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Yeah – you are most welcome to come down for a Sunday ride with the Stanmer Tea Room Crew. We could do a tour of the park!

Let me know.

Wait for the rain to go.

Cheers Nick errrrr DC

n.b. doing 6 hour solo on my niner air nine, probably with Spec ground controls on.

Been riding through the winter so feel like I have a good base to work off.

mattjg
    Free Member

oops sorry I blew your cover

my fitness rubbish, oh well only 1 way to fix that

you guys did well last year, I was in effect solo as my buddy quit after less than 1 lap, I did 5 and was bushed.

(now where did I put those silly little 720mm bars, they came off immediately after BD13 and into the garage bike part junk pile!)

DrP

I’m going to steal the Scandal back from DrP and put some gears on it

You’ll have to catch me first… 😉

DrP

darkcyan
    Free Member

Mattig, get those weeny bars out, no scaffolding poles in Stanmer i’m afraid.

darkcyan
    Free Member

nb five a v good effort imo., especially as you went in thinking pairs!

mattjg
    Free Member

ta. Solo pairs was a new category for ’13 I think – I won!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014’ is closed to new replies.