• This topic has 135 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by benji.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog 2015 roll call
  • petey83
    Free Member

Not much mention of this year’s Big Dog on here – who is on-board? Signed up for 6hr solo again 😥

darkcyan
    Free Member

Me. Single speed pairs. Just did SAW to put some steel in the legs.can’t wait. Any course gossip?

All-On-Black
    Free Member

I’m in, doing male pair (18+) 🙂

I’m sure it’s normally pretty much fully booked up by now. Weird!

bigdaddy

I’m on for the 6 hour solo, looking nice forward to it

wwaswas

Fat Pairs with Paceman, assuming that my rotator cuff sorts itself out in time.

After last years 3rd place on the podium I’m expecting crushing disappointment this time due to there being 5 teams entered in our ctaegory it will be alleviated only by getting in more laps than darkcyan’s SS pair…

Paceman
    Free Member

^^ As Wwaswas said 😀 ^^

Always a great event if you’ve not been before.

Painey
    Free Member

I’m taking part again, team of 3 (Pinsons Wheelmilk). Really looking forward to it as I missed last year. Plus it’s the first time doing it on my 29er HT.

I’ll be the one getting passed by everybody on the climbs. Feel free to say hello as you speed past.

muggomagic

Team of 3 again. Very much looking forward to it. Thought last years course was good too. As much as I missed the final descent of previous years courses, it was more than made up for as there was no Badgers and Coldean climbs, so I’m hoping for something similar this year.

timbur
    Free Member

Car park beatch again this year I think. Meet and greet with subtle abuse for too much travel, too Phat tyres and Euro team kit.

Luke – Jaffa cakes on arrival or you’re out of there!

😈

aP
    Free Member

Mixed pairs. Hopefully I won’t have spent 3 days at Moorfields the week before having an emergency operation for a detached retina, like I did last year.

wwaswas

I’ll do my best Tim – but they may be Waitrose, not M&S this year.

adsh
    Free Member

6hr vet solo – supposedly at the end of a 2 week training camp. Could be interesting!

john_l
    Free Member

Pairs, for a change.

g5604
    Free Member

Is the big dog full of whippets or is there a mix of abilities ?

Painey
    Free Member

Is the big dog full of whippets or is there a mix of abilities ?

Usually a pretty good mix. I am certainly not in the “whippet” class that’s for sure!! More of an event for people to enjoy than a competition for elite racers.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m in a team with some mates i haven’t seen for too long. say hello; orange inbred 29er, and probably a orange top.

Dead excited. never ridden it before either.

benji
    Free Member

6hr solo vet, bouncing around on the fatty as usual.

g5604
    Free Member

Usually a pretty good mix. I am certainly not in the “whippet” class that’s for sure!! More of an event for people to enjoy than a competition for elite racers.

thanks! just what I was hoping.

wwaswas

There is a lot of fairly fierce competition at the front (because racers wanna race) and the there’s a number of sponsored teams and riders who have a duty to try hard.

Further down it’s a bit more people taking a personal challenge to ride it solo or mates racing each other for pride and laughs.

Fantastic atmosphere though.

muggomagic

mates racing each other for pride and laughs.

And getting a 3rd place finish out of it too!

It’s great fun, especially for those that don’t usually race. It’s great fun riding at your max and you’ll find there are others on course of a similar level than you that you’ll be racing against.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ll be there for the Solo Male. I must remember not to fall off on the second lap this year!

mccraque

I’m in. With painey (above).

And I ain’t no whippet!

Last year there were some guys in suits and monkey outfits racing. And some guy in an army helmet the year before. Great mix of entrant. And free tea!

cycles-goff
    Free Member

What gear ratio should i go for if I were to ride SS? If you ride solo unsupported do you pile up spare drinks etc in the pits? Tempted to enter although not at all fit.

john_l
    Free Member

There’s about 900ft of climbing per lap, so a gear that will get you round that for 6hrs.

Solo riders tend to leave bottles etc at the side of the course coming in to the finish – it’s no problem.

petey83
    Free Member

Took a spin over to Stanmer today. Trails are in great condition so really looking forward to it now. I will keep the Maxxis Beavers to hand just in case though! 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

Yup, rode it yesterday – really nice conditions.

andyjh

I’m in for my first ever event! Entered as mixed pairs. Also went over for a look see yesterday and it’s running really nicely but I guess that will change very quickly if it rains! Might have to loose the wide bars for this one though!!

adsh
    Free Member

What are the trails like as I’ve never ridden there.

Rooty and natural or smooth and manmade hardpack or a combination etc?

cyclistm
    Free Member

I dont know the course this year but in previous years the course have been more “rooty and natural” sections with fire road piecing it all together.

Paceman
    Free Member

Natural woodland singletrack on chalky loam geology, rolls really well when it’s dry, slippery when wet but drains very quickly this time of year with all the foliage. Lots of rooty sections to keep you on your toes, perfect conditions right now so looking good for the “Dog”. I’m in fat bike pairs with Wwaswas 😀

ab1970
    Free Member

What are the Little Dog courses like? My daughter (U10) likes the idea of entering a bike race but as her riding is mostly along Downslink and similar, I don’t know if the course may be a bit more challenging than she’d be happy with.

Is the “minilap” route available anywhere so that we could have a practice?

VanHalen

used to do this religiously now i`ve not been for a few years. will try and pop over for a lap, some tea and chat and maybe some matesrace afters if my legs still work. i also need some replacement mugs….

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I love this race, often the only time in a year that I’ll put a number on my MTB. Great course and great atmosphere.

I’ll be entering SS Pairs this year and trying to win again…

JoB
    Free Member

ab1970 – Member
    What are the Little Dog courses like? My daughter (U10) likes the idea of entering a bike race but as her riding is mostly along Downslink and similar, I don’t know if the course may be a bit more challenging than she’d be happy with.

Is the “minilap” route available anywhere so that we could have a practice?

the mini-lap is around the grass arena, it’ll go up the hill a bit and maybe into the trees but the paths will all be easy dirt with nothing you could describe as challenging

the Little Dogs are the best races of the day 😉

aP
    Free Member

JoB – those downhillers from Battle Royale won’t be there will they?

Stiggy

Fat Pair here

singletrackmind

Is Onederdog on this year ? Not done enough speed work on the mtb to do 6hrs , but a couple of hot laps should be ok

petey83
    Free Member

According to the XC Racer website there is a oneder dog again this year.

chiefgrooveguru

I did wonder if I could do a Onederdog with the toddler on the Weeride (we ride quite a lot of the singletrack together) but I fear it may be frowned upon by any BC commissaires…

bobcatmax
    Free Member

My second for a retro pair just dropped out – can I twist anyone’s arm into joining me?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog 2015 roll call’ is closed to new replies.