Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 326 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog 2013 General Chat
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Fellow Doggers it’s that time again and the rain is moving in just in time.

Let me know your thoughts on the new course, training, bike choice, how ready you feel for the challenge ahead, tyre choice, motivation, goals.

Riding solo this year again on the Niner Air Nine so hoping that’s a good choice. Training has been rubbish this year due to family and on off illness and being a bit lazy.

Now doing emergency catch up sessions on the rower and climbing every hill I can see when on the bike.

Going to train hard right up to the Thursday to try and get my head/body in a good place.

Not long now.

DC

N.b. do we need to be talking about mud tyres again!!!!!

shortcut

Racing mixed pairs. And will either be riding singlespeed within tyres or geared bike with summer tyres.

gary

emergency catch up sessions on the rower

Reckon its going to be a really wet one then? 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Not done the Dog before, this is my thread check in.

I do note my buddies have advised me whatever happens not to take my singlespeed.

Straightliner

If it’s wet, then the singlespeed may actually be the bike of choice as the clay and chalk do a fine job of clagging everything up and the singlespeed hopefully avoids some of the worst of this. Studs on the front of your shoes may also be useful, as some of the narrow climbs tend to be a bit tricky in the wet even on foot.

It will take quite a lot of rain to make it truly horrible, but the long term forecast from yr.no is showing rain in the latter half of next week. Hopefully things will change by then.

mdb
    Free Member

I’m local and having been riding last year’s course alot recently. Its been super fast and great fun. No idea if they plan on making any changes to the course for this year, but i’m sure whatever they do it will be good.

The course is tight so if your bars are wider than 700mm take care.

Niner Air Nine is perfect bike choice. I’m on a 29er Stumpy and it loves to rail those singletrack trails. If its dry tyre choice would be Ikons, Crossmark or Ralphs.

The first half of the course is the real lung-buster in my opinion. The climbs are short and sharp, with the final climb up “badgers” to the road being the one that sorts men from boys. After that its all good with some lovely singletrack sections.

As said above if it rains alot it will be hell. Not sure riding SS will help much as the climbs are steep and rooty so you struggle for traction, but less probs with stuck gears etc.

If you are in a pair / team take a bike washer or something at least to clean up your drivetrain between laps.

mattjg
    Free Member

The course is tight so if your bars are wider than 700mm take care.

Really? I usually run 750mm +. Bugger.

I’m tempted to come down from Surrey this weekend for a recce, is it easy to find/follow the likely course?

mdb
    Free Member

Really? I usually run 750mm +. Bugger.

Its a personal thing. I’ve always run bars fairly narrow and not had a problem. Recently went up to 720mm and hit everything, so cut them down to 690mm and now no probs.

Maybe its just me, like a say personal preference and all that.There’s plenty of people riding Stanmer with wide bars so obviously not a major problem.

I can say for sure that in some sections the trees are very close.

There’s loads of Strava segments of parts of the course but not sure one entire lap is on Strava so not sure how easy it would be to follow the course.

grievoustim
    Free Member

The course is pretty different this year.

There is a lap on strava somewhere I think – although not sure how easy it would be to follow

Painey
    Free Member

My first year entering the race so looking forward to it, entered as a team of three with a couple of mates who are considerably fitter than me. My other excuse is I recently sold the bike I was going to race on and haven’t had chance to replace it. So if you see someone on a blinged up 150mm FS, black and gold Canyon then that will be me. I’ll probably be going rather slow, unless it’s downhill and nobody’s in front of me.

It also has 720mm bars and I can confirm that I’ve hit plenty of trees in Stanmer in the past year. Tyres, hmmm, was considering running race kings front and rear but it’d have to be nice and dry for that. I really hope it doesn’t rain as it can get plenty slippery round there.

Does the course use both sides of the valley or just western side? I’ve ridden round whilst they’ve been setting up the course before and only seen it being taped off there.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Hi,

will be at stammer tea rooms at 9.00 on Sunday (depart 9.15).

Aim is to do a couple of big dog laps and some other stuff not on the course.

If anyone fancies a guided loop of big dog just turn up. Its a bit twisty and doubles back on itself so can’t guarantee it will be the exact loop but it won’t be far off.

That said if the rain continues we will be walking certain sections i.e badgers.

Wide bars not ideal for stammer as it can be quite narrow in bits but plenty get by.

chiefgrooveguru

The widest anyone seems to use around here is 750mm but you have to slow down a bit more to get them through some of the gaps. I noticed quite a big clearance difference going from 670 to 711. It is tight!

It was extremely dusty at the weekend so unless the rain is biblical or it rains just before or during the race then it should be running pretty well. Hoping to get out for a Onederdog lap as I’m not doing the main event this year – slow up, fast down…

The course is on Strava but you haven’t a hope of managing to follow it for a practice unless you know your way around, it’s just too circuitous. I can string together a lap having ridden it loads but I still take the odd wrong turn!

chiefgrooveguru

Tyres, hmmm, was considering running race kings front…

Crashtastic! 😛 If it’s dry it’ll get dusty and loose, it’s wet it’ll get muddy and loose.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Chief – what is the main change – are the major features the same or is a more extensive rework of the course.

cheers DC

local (Brighton MTB) so know the trails quite well.

darkcyan
    Free Member

I will be running a pair of rubena kratos 2.25 tyres front and rear.

Good rolling and enough all round grip.

Inherited them with the air nine. Hadn’t heard of them before.

Very impressed so far – though haven’t tried them in the wet yet.

If they struggle in the wet may put a mud x up front if stammer plays up.

darkcyan
    Free Member

nb wont be running race kings in any conditions – just cant get on with them.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Some of the trails are the same, some bits are ridden in the opposite direction. There is a new climb or 2. The lap is a bit shorter.

Painey
    Free Member

Tyres, hmmm, was considering running race kings front…
    Crashtastic! If it’s dry it’ll get dusty and loose, it’s wet it’ll get muddy and loose.

It’d have to be very dry for me to take the hans dampf off the front! Race King on the rear isn’t too bad though. I did have a Ralph but cut it to shreds on that bit of metal that sticks out the ground on what I think is called “the long one”.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

first visit to Stammer. Should be doing pairs with a mate but if finger hasn’t started to fuse wife will be taking my place! We’ll see was really looking forward to it.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Does the course use both sides of the valley or just western side? I’ve ridden round whilst they’ve been setting up the course before and only seen it being taped off there.

no just the one side above the playing field on the left as you enter stammer

darkcyan
    Free Member

really thought it would be ripping this year – its pissing down here in brighton.

it has been dry but wet on dry in stammer is not a great combo!

talulah
    Free Member

I can’t get there for Sunday as I am marshaling for something else. If anyone was planning riding it another day or eve would like to try to join you if poss? Thx.

mattjg
    Free Member

@darkcyan I’ll try and get down on Sunday, not bothered about doing the exact course, a flavour will do.

OK so I’m going to have to rethink my beloved 785mm bars/60mm stem combo on my Yelli Screamy. Ho hum. /goes off to check the spares bin

darkcyan
    Free Member

yeah 785 mm is a bit too wide!

see you at the tearooms at top of park at 9.00 if you make it.

MY NUMBER IS 07813947674 if you want to fine tune.

cheers nick

Painey
    Free Member

it has been dry but wet on dry in stammer is not a great combo!

Agree with that. Nice and hard but with a slippery as ice top layer.

Straightliner

The section through Coldean Woods (other side of the A27) is apparently being run in the opposite direction this year, which means a steeper entry and a longer/gentler climb out. Also, the very top section (where the Brighton Big Log resides) will be missed out.

Paceman
    Free Member

The section through Coldean Woods (other side of the A27) is apparently being run in the opposite direction this year, which means a steeper entry and a longer/gentler climb out.

Still a steep climb in places and will hurt more as its much longer.

I’m doing the 6 hour Solo 😆

darkcyan
    Free Member

the drop in to coldean could b interesting in the wet. root and off camber I think with a root nest half way down.

chiefgrooveguru

The section through Coldean Woods (other side of the A27) is apparently being run in the opposite direction this year, which means a steeper entry and a longer/gentler climb out. Also, the very top section (where the Brighton Big Log resides) will be missed out.

Coldean backwards should be interesting – long climb though! The ‘Big Dog Big Log’ is further down, the one that gets bunny-hopped or chicken run round to the right, right in the middle of the Great Wood. Do you mean the section over the road from the top of the Badgers’ climb aka Sting In The Tail (which is run backwards) which has the big fallen tree which can be ridden over when the tethered logs either side haven’t been pulled apart?

darkcyan
    Free Member

anyone been training specially. what have you done.

let me know

mdb
    Free Member

Interesting. So i hope we still get to do the fun final descent into the start finish area, as doing the Coldean Woods bit the other way kind of has you at the wrong part of the course for that. I’m sure they have it covered.

Yeah, riding last year’s course alot! Now i’ll have to ride Coldean section backwards just in case.

Basically you want to be training on short sharp climbs, high intensity 30 – 60 second intervals. On the course there are not lots of places to get a breather (if you want to post a quickish time) so get used to riding hard for 40 – 45 mins. Get your trail radar locked-on, good bike handling in singletrack is also important.

mdb
    Free Member

Do you mean the section over the road from the top of the Badgers’ climb aka Sting In The Tail (which is run backwards)

I reckon that’s the one. Having marshalled there a few years back there were loads of complaints when people were flying down “return of the jedi” across the road towards “A&E”. By missing out sting in the tail you’ll probably go left before the road and onto Cathedral trail, or they’ll take us up the road then left towards A&E.

Interesting. Looking forward to a change of course.

mattjg
    Free Member

2 rides on my singlespeed and halved my crisp intake since the weekend.

that’s only half being ironic.

VanHalen

In France this year so going to miss out. Glad they are not using the big dog log trail as its quite dull. Someone needs to engineer some corners on it. Backwards climb put of coldean will be fun. I seem to be fine on 760 bars. The start of the descent is a bit tight but nothing so narrow you won’t fit. That said I’m used to it.

45 mins isn’t a hard riding lap. As that’s what I do normally and I’m no racing snake and only in it for the downs.

blooshmoo
    Free Member

Two pennies worth from an average rider who knows them there woods…

Two or three ‘dogs ago’ I remember the conditions were a mud bath, after a weigh in before and after, i brought nay on 10lb of mud n gloop outta those f’in woods… Rode a geared 29 hardtail, 100mm fork and a fat ralph on the front, If the weather is bad you need tyre clearance or your gonna be pushing/carrying your bike round, remember gonna be an awful lot of people going round and round for 6 hours, when it starts to churn up in stanmer the trail goes to s***. Line choice is… hit the tree or gloop it out !!!

If it’s wet I’d stay on my 29er, fit the Bonty Mud X and a carbon rigid fork plenty of clearance, keep it geared always grateful for a gear or two and let some air outta my tyres, wet diagonal root sections a plenty, high pressure tyre quick on the up, but scetchy as f*** over wet roots, let some air out better grip.

If it’s dry then it’s gotta be a 26″ wheel – YETI ASR5 140mm is my rig of choice good trail manners, nice n nimble good acceleration, forever trying to get those big 29″ wheels upto speed in Stanmer, I know some will disagree… but word has it there’s more singletrack this year and stanmer is notorious for being tight and twisty, so any speed i have to scrub i wanna get back asap.

720mm bar works on both rigs for me, if (sorry) when i catch a lever, it’s my own fault. Some sections will be tight and you will have to slow up and lose a little time, where a narrower bar could have edged it.

Suprised no-one has mentioned the clips vs flats debate…

VanHalen

I’d be interested in meeting up with a local when I get back from Hols for a lap of the new track if anyone’s up for it. That’s if its not bleedin obvious and a foot deep in churned up slop.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Mwuhahhahaaa….. its getting clatty 😀

if its any consolation the SDW is worse over towards lewes….

darkcyan
    Free Member

what pedals;-)

blooshmoo
    Free Member

Goin DMR Vaults, may loose some time on the ups but packin Monster so gettin me some GNAR… on the down.

Seriously though… I ride both clips and flats in Stanmer. Though I only find myself in clips when I’ve been out and about and finish with a favourite run down and out through the park and to be honest it’s usually a little more gingerly.

If I’m heading in there to play, I ride flats no question, the ability to dab in a milisecond vs an un-clip inspires a little more confidence in my riding. Especially as Stanmer has this unnerving ability to just keep chucking random features at you when your least expecting it.
    Flats in Stanmer are like a get outta jail ‘quick’ card.

darkcyan
    Free Member

yeah, most people ride flats in stanmer for general trail riding. for big dog though its clipless all the way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 326 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog 2013 General Chat’ is closed to new replies.