Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog 2012
  • All-On-Black
    Free Member

Only 2 weeks and 4 days to go!

Who’s entered and what category are they doing? I’m in a pair, and we also have 2 more pairs from my team, as well as a team of 3, who are the managers of the team, which should be a laugh!

Can’t wait now, would be nice if it stopped raining quite so much though.. think the ground is just about wet enough thanks.

muggomagic

I’m in a team of 3. Somehow I don’t think the course is going to be as dusty as last year.

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Indeed, it got so loose it was like riding on sand! Speaking of sand.. i’ll be taking about 10 pairs of brake pads with me as spare lol

chiefgrooveguru

I shall be wearing crampons for the climbs and using a kayak for the descents…

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

team of two, but my club has about 4 or 5 teams entered.

im in mens pairs, i have a mates in retro pairs and mixed pairs

All-On-Black
    Free Member

what’s everyones team/entry names?

Mine is PMR@cing

chiefgrooveguru

The Phoenix Knights. Team of three, same line-up as at the glorious drifty speedfest of 2011. Was hoping to better last year’s times/positions, now just hoping to enjoy myself, ride the downhills as fast as I dare in the wet, and not crash…

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

VCL Supporters Club Conor Bunn, beauty and the geek. not sure of the others

TimP
    Free Member

I am going solo as a Team Bullheart-ian though not entered as such. Hoping to get the new kit soon (nudge to Mark!). Not been on my bike since ruining myself at 24-12, so hoping to just keep going for the full 6 hours, and getting a beer at the end.

jimification
    Free Member

I’ve entered 6 hour solo. It’s been well boggy in Stanmer (Great wood) for a while now, haven’t ridden there in weeks even though I’m just down the road. Fingers crossed for this jetstream relocation thingy.

Looking forward to rehydrating with a well earned Dark Star.

Paceman
    Free Member

Also going solo. Will be six hours of avoiding a crash if it doesn’t dry up soon. The celebratory pint of Dark Star will be very well deserved!

I’m 10mins ride away from Stanmer but have only ridden there once in the last month due to the conditions. Forecast looks better for next week though so fingers crossed.

mdb
    Free Member

I’m in a Pairs team. Really looking forward to it as i missed the 2011 race due to injury.

Currently preparing a back-up SS bike in case the rain doesn’t stop. The 2010 wet race was a nightmare.

Query for the race organisers: Do you have a wet race contingency? In particular i was thinking would you cut-out the “Badgers Climb” as its a nightmare in the wet?

njee20
    Free Member

Will be six hours of avoiding a crash if it doesn’t dry up soon.

It could be 30 degrees every day until then, it’ll still be a total bog!

VanHalen

cut climbs?! get better tyres you bloody lightweight! and i hate the climbs.

rode through stanmer last friday on way home from pub (buzz lightyear/the long one/pondlife and its a swamp)

in a team of 2 – cant remember my team name! doing it on the HT rather than my freeride bike so i`ll be less easily spotted.

must remember to take spare brake pads and the swamp things off the fr bike…..

doing the 3 peaks challenge this friday as a warm up!

Paceman
    Free Member

The climb on t’other side of the A27 is worse than Badgers in the mud. It was unrideable on Sunday and I usually clear it every time no probs. It will only get worse with 200 riders walking up it for 6hrs.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Team of 2: Berkhamsted Ameteur Pedaling Society (BAPS). Hope the weathers good

mdb
    Free Member

Just saw this on the Big Dog website: At present the course is running well even with summer tyres.

They’re optimistic!

jimification
    Free Member

Just saw this on the Big Dog website: At present the course is running well even with summer tyres.

They’re optimistic!

Indeed! That’s a different Stanmer Park to the one in Brighton next to the A27 then…

chiefgrooveguru

Maybe it’s near Brighton BMX track – in Illinois…

This is longest time in ages that I’ve gone without riding Stanmer – and I live right by there! I have to actively avoid it to get to the Downs otherwise. If we get two weeks without rain and warmer temperatures will that be enough for it to recover? I’m doubtful…

jimification
    Free Member

Same here, I’m 10 mins down the road and we’re usually in there twice a week in summer but I can practically count my visits on one hand this year 🙁

I think it will be fine if we get a nice run of dry days beforehand. Foliage needs some serious cutting back in places though…

timnwild

Rode the whole course on Saturday in the pissing rain, and while it’s not fast, it;s still fun. Part of a three-man team (the other two are good, I’ve never raced before) and massively excited about it.

See you there.

wwaswas

jimification – that’s been up there since last summer…

Taff
    Free Member

Two solo riders – Bois y Mynydd. Excited about it just hope the conditions hold out. Leaving the MudX tyres on unless a last minute change dictates

Taff
    Free Member

Two solo riders – Bois y Mynydd. I’m leaving my MudX tyres on…

Taff
    Free Member

Is the course likely to be marked out on the weekend of the 28th? Fancy a spin around it before race day

p7rich
    Free Member

Riding in Phoenix Knights with chiefgrooveguru and very likely running up the hills carrying the singlespeed.

Rode Stanmer for an hour or so last night. Flippin awful conditions. Deep puddles with lords knows how much mud underneath the water. There were even puddles on the side that usually dries quick. Great fun if i’m honest..but guilty pleasure because it just felt like vandalism : /

nomakoman
    Free Member

solo for me and the bro this year….about 10 of us heading down from Lincolnshire for it, pretty sure it aint gonna be as hot as last year, just hope we can get into some pubs this year! they dont like groups darn sarf!

chiefgrooveguru

I doubt the course will be marked until the night and/or morning before the race – it’s too popular a park for the tape to be left alone for long. The weather forecast is improving at last so if it actually gets warm as well as stops raining the course may recover fairly well. Positive mental attitude…

Taff
    Free Member

Namakoman – you have to go in smaller groups, buy your drinks in the smaller groups then get together!

Chief – you’re probably right, off road routes don’t last long. If up on the Thursday I will try the route otherwise will win it. Weather improved as soon as I went on holiday. Expect the return of the rain on Tuesday!!

muggomagic

I think that last year the course was kind of marked out a couple of days before with the odd directional arrow sprayed on the ground. Might be hard to use spray paint on wet mud though.
    I’m going to remain positive that a week or so of dry weather will be enough to dry up the trails.

jimification
    Free Member

Taff: If up on the Thursday I will try the route otherwise will win it.

Congrats! Is 2nd place still available? 😯

TimP
    Free Member

Well I wont be going for it so feel free!

nomakoman
    Free Member

Taff – Member
    Namakoman – you have to go in smaller groups, buy your drinks in the smaller groups then get together!

that’s the plan, we’ve got someone who knows the party spots well with us….though that could mean anything!

Taff
    Free Member

Congrats! Is 2nd place still available

Ha! Really should re-read what I write

darkcyan
    Free Member

Trails are drying up – a27 climb now ok – badgers still slippery but doable.

Other bits looking a bit messy still.

DC

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m in a team of two – Team Fakawi (as in where the….) – both first time big doggers and the first time I have raced in 18 years so we aren’t aiming for the podium this year!

Think I’ll be leaving the Mud Xs on too.

How long is a lap and what is a typical lap time in the wet and dry?

mdb
    Free Member

Rode the course this afternoon and most of it running very fast.Couple of boggy bits in the middle flatter singletrack section(top of Stanmer) but otherwise pleasantly surprised.

All the big climbs are fine.

What i didn’t like so much was the long grass in the start / finish arena and the next section after the first climb. Felt really draggy. Hopefully a few hundred riders will take care of that on the day.

Weather up to race day looking un-predictable with showers from Tuesday until Saturday so fingers crossed nothing too heavy.

Have a great day everyone.

All-On-Black
    Free Member

How’s it looking now guys? A few showers forecast over the next few days but nothing massively worrying..

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

fast and smooth, ran my summer rubber and in all but one damp bit a nice dry line has been cut through.

clean bike after a lap and some dicking about in general.

jimification
    Free Member

Had a quick spin around the course this evening and it’s riding very well indeed. No puddles anywhere, a couple of damp ruts but that’s it. Basically dry everywhere and the organisers (I presume) have been in and done some pruning back of the overgrown foliage (nice one!). Should be a cracking ride at the weekend if the weather will just show a little kindness over the next few days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog 2012’ is closed to new replies.