Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • bright rear light
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i broke my Cherry Bomb last week when i came off so am on the hunt for something like it. as my commute is on dark unlit roads, what is known to be super bright out there? 🙂

cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield 60.

In technical terms, it’s effing bright.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ditto. Moon shield is great.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    topgunsteve
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the Fibre flare rear lights. They’re a fluorescent strip light, about 20cm long that you can attache to your seat tube or chainstay.

Link

It has two rubber band style loops so no brackets needed and also has two clothing hooks so you could put it n your bag if needed.

I have a similar commute and have this on my chainstay and a standard cateye on flash mode on my seat tube. I think it’s pretty god set-up.

bails

I’ve got a fibreflare, it’s good but I see it as an additional light rather than a main one.

The Smart R2 is very good. It rivals my MJ-818 (which is as bright as a Hope District) and the strobey/flash mode is very attention grabbing.

On One have just started doing lights, one looks a lot like the R2, but is only a fiver, might be worth a try?

BadlyWiredDog

Another Moon Shield user here – USB rechargeable, under 30 quid if you shop around despite an RRP of around £45, and very bright. Good rubber band-type fixing system too. Only real downer is that the flimsy rubber cover over the USB port tends to tear off. You can stil use it, but the attachment ought to be more robust.

nealy
    Free Member

RSP Astrum or for a huge bargain that is an identical light a Phaart Bleep Dual 0.5 Watt for half price using code UKPHAART50

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart_bleep_dual_05_watt_led_rear_light

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=40fa628f0fbe316d0497b3c31&id=6ce2ec016b&e=8bb35b4d30

nickhart
    Free Member

hope district. i bought one after seeing a road cyclist on a bright sunny day, the sun was in front of the bike and into my eyes (i was in the car) and yet i saw the light. it also works brilliantly with the splitter cable and a front light.

OCB
    Free Member

I get constant complaints (from my riding chum) about my Blackburn Mars 4 being too bright. Does a good job of keeping other vehicles off my backside too (or at least has done so, thus far), works fine with rechargables, and has lived happily with whatever weather it’s been out in.

Sensible mounting too, so I can clip it on me when I occasionally go out running. Fixed or strobe (which is especially disorientating I’m told 😉 ).

downshep

Got a pair of Smart R1s mounted on the seat stays and an R2 on the seatpost of my commuter. Excellent value combination. Overtaking vehicles give me twice as much clearance when compared to previous Cateye L600s.

scaredypants

I get constant complaints (from my riding chum) about my Blackburn Mars 4 being too bright. Does a good job of keeping other vehicles off my backside too (or at least has done so, thus far)

Yep, I like to have the drivers beind me half-blinded and irritable too

Dibbs
    Free Member

Light & Motion Viz 180 = Very bright.

mrmo
    Free Member

lezyne microdrive

if anyone has any experience of this, comments please.

chives
    Free Member

Just received a set of Exposure Flare lights from the Prostate Cancer charity (free gratis for raising a wad for them) and the rear is unfeasably bright (quoted 40 lumens?) with a really good diffuser lens, (for reference, the front is about 110 lumens using the rechargeable batteries supplied apparently) the light unit’s about the size of the end of my thumb, and it weighs about as much as a fairies fart. Easily dis-mountable so you can pocket them when you leave the bike outside the shops if necessary. Not sure I’d fancy them off-road, but for commuting, pretty sweet.

That lot’s going on the missus’ bike (she works later than I do). I’m currently using a Blackburn Mars 4 which is pretty bright too. (Hokus Focus torch up front).

tonyd

I got a flash/flare combo recently and am very pleased with them. Nice and bright but I don’t think they’ll dazzle anyone thanks to the diffuser. That said I was seeing stars after a standing climb (road bike commute) the other night when I was hanging over the bars and caught the front in my peripheral vision, but hopefully nobody else would get that close!

I’ve got a fibre flare also and thought it was great, however the heavy rain we had a month or so ago seems to have killed it. It was fitted to my seatpost and down onto chainstay, full mudguards kept the worst of the water from it, yet it appears some got in as the contacts are corroded. Very disappointing. I mailed the manufacturers to ask for advice on fixing it and have heard nothing back. In short – there’s no way I’d recommend them.

OCB
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    Yep, I like to have the drivers beind me half-blinded and irritable too

OP did say super bright.

😉

I do tend to keep this one primarily for use in unlit back-country lanes, as I like to be seen from a distance – but when I’m on lit / town / busy roads I’ve got a couple of [much] more moderate LBS-type 3-LED blinky lights that I use.

scaredypants

OP did say super bright.

Yeah – it’s a mistake though, IMO (as a commuting driver)
    On busy roads, the sheer number of red lights (and their reflections if it’s wet) means that individual lights aren’t that discernible from the mass, regardless of brightness and the very bright ones aren’t looked at directly if you can help it
    on an unlit country lane your “dim” light is probably easily visible at quarter of a mile

Make yourself look like a person, not a nearby supernova

/crusade

😳

ricardo666
    Free Member

Mars flea 4 on my back end, Use it in strobe mode keeps the tin boxes away.

jmenorton
    Free Member

I had a Blackburn Mars 3 which i thought was crazy bright until it got squished, got a lunar r2 delivered today, and promptly blinded myself, got it for £13 from wheelies.

Stu_N

Been using an Exposure Flare for a while now, seems to do the trick in all conditions. As long as it is on and I out a spot of Vaseline on the threads every few months it keeps on keeping on. Ultra reliable and very visible without being offensive using the seat post mount. Only modification was to put a bit of rubber between the mount and seat post which seems to stop it switching itself from steady to flash on bumps.

I have a Smart Lunar on my bag and have just got a RedEye for my helmet light too. SMIDSY my arse.

grim168
    Free Member
    swampi
    Free Member

I use fibre flare lights, get on with them, just after heavy rain I always pull back the rubber to check for water ingress as I killed one after about a year, love using the colour ones as side lights, but as with Tonyd… I mailed them regarding fixing it etc and they also didn’t bother replying so as much as I like them i find it hard to recommend based on lack of customer service….wonder why crc stopped selling them?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Make yourself look like a person, not a nearby supernova

can’t agree more – multiple lights and none of them blindingly bright is best – flashing I think is best with maybe one solid – the Exposure flare strobe is good and it has side visibility as well – it points slightly down as well as straight on would be blinding and counterproductive.

Multiple flashing lights makes it obvious you are a cycle as well – a single, powerful light could be mistaken for a motorcycle and hence a possible incorrect judgement of speed from a car – and if the light is blinding they won’t be able to estimate the distance to it very well.

The flashing/strobing demands attention – a solid light is too easy to ignore/not notice.

If you use the Smart R2 you will need several as their weather sealing isn’t good and you can rely on them.

The fibreflares have very good side visibility as well. I have one vertically down the seattube and a flasher below it on the frame (long seattube as folder).

br1zz
    Free Member

+1 for Exposure Flare = super bright.

You can’t describe exactly how bright this light is, ‘cos you can’t look at it with the naked eye without seeing after-images for the rest of the day…

Mount allows for ‘dipping’ the beam by mounting it one way up or the other, depending on the angle of your seat post too.

mrmo
    Free Member

The flashing/strobing demands attention – a solid light is too easy to ignore/not notice.

and a flashing light is harder to place if you don’t have any references such as at night on an unlit road.

martymac

used a smart lunar r2, super bright, strobe mode would be hard to miss (gave it to a mate)
    got a cateye rapid 3, almost as bright, nice and lightweight too, goes into a standard cateye bracket.
    got a cateye tl ld1100 on the road bike, bright enough, can be used with 1 row flashing and 1 row constant.
    i would recommend any 1 of these.
    (all my bikes have mudguards)

jono84
    Free Member

I’ve always had it in my mind a solid light allows drivers a reference of how far away(or near) you are and a flashing light is good to grab attention so I always run both I use a few got a knog one that’s easy to take on/off on my seat post one on my helmet and a cheap 3led 2.99jobbie I clip on my bag as said by others I use a bit of vaseline round the edges to help seal from the wet weather . Another addition for me is anything with reflective pipeing on I’ve got a bit on my over shoes when it gets real wet an a reflective jacket …. should really Have some on my bag I also run my forward facing light on my helmet so I can eyeball drivers if I don’t think they’ve seen me….. they soon slow down living in the countryside open roads do tend to favour some adventurous driving by some ….an as simple as it sounds remember to keep the lights clear from mud …. doesn’t matter how bright they are carnt see f all if there caked in dog toffee

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have a Smart Lunar R2 but I agree with other posters that these modern LEDs are blindingly bright for following riders or drivers if mounted high on the seatpost or saddle bag. As such I mount mine low down on the seat stay and pointing horizontally so that drivers can see me me from some way off but it doesn’t blind them or my riding mates close up.

I use a much dimmer light on constant higher up as well.

hammyuk
    Free Member

No one has mentioned yet that its actually an offence to show a flashing red to the rear of any vehicle :-/

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

This

I’ve always had it in my mind a solid light allows drivers a reference of how far away(or near) you are and a flashing light is good to grab attention so I always run both

Whilst I agree with the logic a super bright rear light could dazzle or annoy drivers, my Hope District is the only light I’ve had where cars wait behind and then overtake giving me plenty of room. maybe they can’t place it as a bike and think it’s a larger vehicle? either way I’m not bothered as it achieves the desired results.

pdw
    Free Member

No one has mentioned yet that its actually an offence to show a flashing red to the rear of any vehicle :-/

Probably because it’s not…

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made

adyp
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s the case anymore (for the UK). See here.

Rear Lamp
    One is required, to show a red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member

That could be because it hasn’t been since 2005 if you do it right.
    Read down the page…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guess pdw wins the race 🙂
    7 hours, then 3 come at once, we’re like busses!

adyp
    Free Member

I think he need to change his forum name to PDQ! Either that or we all think the Grand Prix is having a dull bit! 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

From that CTC page:

The suggestion that any lamp on a bicycle might cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other users of the road would have been laughable a few years ago, but not any more. It is not only illegal but doesn’t actually improve your safety, should the person driving a heavy motor vehicle towards you be temporarily blinded by your headlamp! So please don’t let it do that.

which is the case with some of the rear lights around now.

plus we are all supposed to be using pedal reflectors to be legal…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

As I said, if you do it right, am fairly certain most people will find their own compromise though. Mine being clipped in, but wearing reflective ankle straps. All the benefits of the motion of pedal reflectors with the advantage of 360 degree visibility…
    Only when commuting though, really should sort out my MTB setup. Not nearly as visible.

Flaperon

Got to disagree with the anti-bright-light sentiments here – ever since I started riding with a Hope District cars leave a much greater distance when passing, and I also have some confidence that they see me in daylight from a fair distance as well.

Strange thought it may sound, the instinctive reaction towards seeing a bright rear light (and it’s not as if it’s just turned on 6 inches away) is not to accelerate mindlessly towards it. Worth every penny, though I end up having to turn it off on group rides or sit at the back. 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘bright rear light’ is closed to new replies.