Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bridport ??
  • snap
    Free Member

Im going on holiday for a week and staying in a village just outside bridport ( Burton Bradstock)
    Im taking my CX bike purely so i can mix up the riding (or would i better off with a MTB or Road bike)
    Are there must do rides in the area ?

Also are there any must do walks ?
    Pubs ?
    Restaurants?
    Cafes ?
    Places of interest?
    Never been to the area before so would appreciate any input
    Thanks

Tom-B
    Free Member

Walk along the Jurassic coastline is very nice. I really liked Dorchester and Thomas Hardy’s cottage is a cool little place to walk around on a nice day (the cottage itself is tiny but the walks around it are great) free entry too.

I didn’t take my bike so can’t help with that sorry.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

CX bike should work well – there are so many bridleways around that part of the world that offer up good old fashioned cross country riding. Plenty of hilly road routes too – both inland and along the coast. West Bay, Lyme Regis, Abbotsbury are all good for a trip out. Abbotsbury Gardens are great, you’re close to Weymouth and Portland, the Fleet is pretty, Dorchester very smart. Hardy’s Monument (different Thomas Hardy to the author) has great views, nice walks (and rides) and is close to Portesham where you should still be able to get a cream tea. Maiden Castle is a huge Bronze Age (I think!) hill fort – interesting and good for kids to run up and down. Happy days 🙂

If you go to Portland, the cafe on the right as you start the causeway is very good. Also, look for Quiggles – perched under the cliffs looking back across Lyme Bay on Portland – used to be a public toilet but don’t let that put you off! Great grub and setting!

Anna-B
    Free Member

The hat shop. Actually two, a ladies and a gents next door to each other. I love Bridport for this alone, maybe only if you’re into hats though.

drlex
    Free Member

BB is mostly about the beach & related activities. Recommended:
    Hive beach café
    Electric Palace in Bridport
    And, if you’re there near the end of August, the Melplash show – think it’s Thursday 22nd. Warning – it does create a monster traffic jam.

philconsequence
    Free Member

abbotsbury – wheelrights for cream teas
    west bexington – on the coast, tiny little place but its a quieter beach than west bay etc.

in bridport there’s the art centre and electric palace, market on saturday morning and if the weathers nice sometimes live music in the square. quite a few of the pubs do live music in the evenings. oh yeah, the rope museum 😀

the cliffs on the left hand side of west bay (if you’re facing the water) are good to walk along or ride along if you carry your bike up the initial slope next to the bay.

palmers brewery in bridport do tours i think

if you need to find a way to keep kids amused then go into frosts (shop in bridport) and give them a small amount of money, tell them to buy explore 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Hive Beach cafe on the beach is brilliant. Take a credit card & don’t look at the receipt though! MTB isn’t great, would suggest the cx or road bike unless you’re willing to drive to the start of a ride.
    If you go to west bay, the hive’s sister cafe “the watch house cafe” does the best fish & chips i’ve ever had. But is also a bit pricey. Plenty of other options there though.
    Do so coastal kayaking – it’s brill 🙂

bearnecessities

I once drove onto the set of Harbour Lights as they were filming.

HTH

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bridport ??’ is closed to new replies.