Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • bridleways in the lakes. Where would I find them online
  • binners

I'm of up to the lakes later. I need to get up to Orton to meet my folks. I'm getting the train, with the bike to Oxenholme. I've sussed a road route out (16 miles), but I fancy doing it, or at least some of it, off road if I can.

Anyone know where i could find out about bridleways in the lakes online? I know I could just buy an OS map when I get there, but wouldn't mind sussing something out in advance

Cheers

grumm
    Free Member

streetmap.co.uk has OS maps. Or bikehike.co.uk

nbt

Aye, streetmap uses OS mapping and has more than enough detail to plan rides. alternatively checkout SimonFBarnes's maps on the boggies site, there may be a planned route available for you to use already

IanMunro
    Free Member
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there may be a planned route available for you to use already

cheers Julian, I have a route from Orton going north onto Great Asby Scar, and perhaps one going S to The Calf, but from Oxenholme is terra incognita. I'd suggest the A6 (now something of a back road as most traffic takes the M6) to Borrowdale, then Breasthigh Road into Bretherdale, and thence to Tebay, but I'll warn you now Breasthigh Road has been severly eroded by the recent rains and might be largely unrideable, particularly if you're carrying more luggage that usual for off roading 🙁

[correction]I've just found a byway from Garth Row to Evattsike which might be more scenic 🙂

binners

Thanks all. I'll give that one a go Simon. My folks have taken my gear up already so its just me and a camelback. Looks like I'm in for a good afternoon.

You all have a fun day in work now 🙂

binners

As an update to this. I rode the Breasthigh Road over the tops on Monday. You're right Mr Barnes – a lot of it was unrideable. As in; large sections of it completely washed away. Most of that was on the climbs anyway though. And I had to wade across a river with my bike over my head. Which was fun.

It was a good run – thanks for the route

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘bridleways in the lakes. Where would I find them online’ is closed to new replies.