Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bridleways and the LAW? (not a repeat honest ;) )
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Setting the scene:

A bridle way leading from a dead end minor road adjacent to a small holding of sorts. Bridge crossing a small brook has partly collapsed (brick build and old pottery bridge I think). This happened before Xmas. The bridleway has been closed as presumabley the council feels the bridge is unsafe. There is a small gap at the edge of the bridge which is still intact and the steel fence doesn't cover (half of the bridge is still intsct).

My mate crossed it the other day just as the owner of the small holding got out of his landrover. He shouted "you can't cross it, you have to go around". He replied politely "yes I know". He then repeated it and then my mate said "he understood the risks" and carried on. The Guy then said I'm going to call teh police. My mate then said "OK" and walked over the bridge and away.

Now wether you agree of disagree with my mates actions where does the law stand. Am I right in thinking its a civil issue not a criminal issues if there was no breach of peaces etc and no criminal damage (it is not private land if it the piece of land I am thinking of).

Also if he is happy to take the risk then he would not have a leg to stand on (fnarf) in sueing/compensation if they are concerned with someone taking action?

Alos is it not the duty of the Council to keep the bridleway open? and thus repair the bridge ASAP. My mate says therer is no completeion date on the signage?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dounbt it's a criminal matter or that you can hurry a Council on anything.

foxyrider
    Free Member

True – dont think the police would come out unless my mate was stuck in the bridge anyway 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

"is it not the duty of the Council to keep the bridleway open? and thus repair the bridge ASAP"

unless the bridge is owned by the council it's the landowner who will have to pay for repairs and the council are unlikley to enforce a repair just to keep a bridleway open if there's an alternative available.

There was a story recently on one of the cycling sites about a bridge being replaced after beign closed for over 25 years and that had involved a 5 mile detour to get around.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

"unless the bridge is owned by the council it's the landowner who will have to pay for repairs "

Are you sure?

The council/national parks usualy pay for gates/stiles on footpaths? and definately paid for the footbridge near my grandparents to be rebuilt.

whytetrash

Was on a stretch of new cycle path by Mostyn last night…stuck a lovely new bridge on it…must have cost a mint…not yet opened so I cycled about 75 yards around it to the road pavement to cross the stream it bridges…made me wonder how much cheaper that option would have been?..who says councils waste money?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think the council owns the land as it comes off the minor road and straight onto the bridleway which is fenced off between private land either side?

Del

contact the Rights of Way Officer at the local Council. whoever owns the land the BW crosses is obliged to keep it open ( navigable by horses i believe ) by law, and it's the ROW officer's job to make sure that happens.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone know the PROW email for Teignbridge Council 🙂 I tried searching but no avail?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thanks Woody:

Devon County Council is responsible for footpaths and bridleways including the coast path. If you need to report a problem, please contact them direct rather than through the Teignbridge Rangers. The DCC Footpaths Officer for the Teignbridge area is on 01626 353652.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Right emailed DCC and TCC – see what happens (probably nothing). Cheers Woody & Del

foxyrider
    Free Member

Dear XXX
    Your enquiry about XXX Bridleway XX has been sent to me. It is the County Council's responsibility to maintain bridges on Public Rights of Way, and the bridge at has been on our list for replacement for some time.
    Matters came to a head on 5 February this year when there was a significant further collapse of the arch, and it was necessary to close the route immediately in the interests of public safety. The replacement bridge is actually at the top of the list Public Rights of Way structures in the County, but because of other priorities elsewhere our Bridges Section have not been able to programme the work before June this year.
    There is no question of the missing bridge leading to the Bridleway being downgraded.
    Regards
    XXX
    Public Rights of Way Warden

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

kisses on the bottom ?

bobbyspangles

thats where i always like them!

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL – ooh err bottom kisses 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bridleways and the LAW? (not a repeat honest ;) )’ is closed to new replies.