Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bridleways
  • marcel
    Free Member

Whilst out and about on the bike today, I came across a scene I am seeing more and more regularly.

This has been deposited over the course of this week, and really boils my p**s, a few weeks ago on a different bridlepath it was general waste and load of tyres. I take it these are people trying to avoid costs of desposing of properly.

As a side note does anyone know the rules on keeping bridlepaths open, in respect of them becoming overgrown, and signs being removed.

With thanks

Marcel

amodicumofgnar

One for the county council rights of way people but we all pick up the cost in the end.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yep people avoiding costs at the tip. Frequently it’s tradesmen e.t.c, the thing is people want the work done as cheap as possible and don’t want to hire a man / firm with all of the certificates / license for all the work they do. It all adds to costs.

As a side note does anyone know the rules on keeping bridlepaths open, in respect of them becoming overgrown, and signs being removed.

I don’t know but worth sending your local rights of way officer the details.

mrmo
    Free Member

contact the council, it is fly tipping and hopefully they will clear it.

As for access, it is a “road” and as such has to be kept passable. So if you come across a path that has been blocked, either neglect or deliberately contact the council rights of way officer.

But be aware things may not happen quickly. there are lots of paths and not a lot of RoW officers to sort problems.

project
    Free Member

Councils now charge for bulky waste removal, vans are usually banned from c a sites, they are at ours unless you have a permit,so where else is there for them to dump the stuff, our local c a site only closes on christmas day Boxing day they need a jcb just to get into the gates, thats how people treat the countryside.

c a site = civic amenity site.

TheBrick
    Free Member

so where else is there for them to dump the stuff

You’re absolutely correct. They are forced into fly tipping.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Could make a jump out of that.

project
    Free Member

Local builder, large transit type van, went to C A site refused access because he had a load of bricks and other building waste on board, got sent to the real tip, in a field, the bin lorries go to,licenced by the Environmnet agency, on the way he was pulled over by the vehicle inspectorate, who weighed his van all ok, but the Environmnet agency fined him for not haveing a waste carriers licence and a licence to carry waste, along with a copy of the waste certificate he had given to the customer.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/2006/week5/inter__24ecaa86-38f7-411f-a219-7fda5a288f59_6dbf1b95-ecd3-46fd-a64a-b017c91b6555.pdf

simon_g

so where else is there for them to dump the stuff

Plenty of commercial waste places that will take it – but you pay a fee for disposing of that waste, and as project says, have to be registered to be allowed to carry commercial waste (the fee is pretty small).

It’s purely about cost – dodgy tradespeople will undercut legit ones on price but they won’t be wanting to pay the costs (about £115/ton according to The Apprentice the other week!) so chance it and dump it anywhere.

Incidentally, I was helping my gf clear her parents garage in NZ when we were over there, and was pretty shocked to find that they don’t have council tips for domestic waste at all – you have to go to commercial outfits and pay their rates for any stuff you want to get rid of. They collect big stuff (TVs, fridges, etc) at the kerbside free but only about every 6 months. Makes me appreciate that here you can just go back and forth in the car as much as you like!

MrOvershoot

I know what you mean Marcel its shocking how stuff just appears.

Couple of months ago on an evening ride we chanced upon a bloke & his wife in a Transit flat bed about to dump all sorts of rubbish on the entrance to a field!!

8 people all stood there with camera phones pointed at them soon made them scuttle off giving us all sorts of expletives 😯
    We still sent the pictures to the council as the idiot was in a works van, even worse for them was one of our party works for CID so they have had a shed load of stop & search off the police in the last 3 months 😀

Ambrose

BRILLIANT 🙂

trailmonkey

If it is contractors waste than its only a small part of a bigger picture. 40% of all landfill in the UK is builders waste/rubble. If there were stricter regulation on demolition and construction and if architectural conservation and heritage management was actually concerned with preserving anything but the great and the good, then we might see an element of sustainability creep into a sector of business that is hugely environmentally unsustainable.

Unlikely in the neo lib free for all. That pile of trash in the pic represents a wad of cash in someones pocket.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bridleways’ is closed to new replies.