Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bridleway Sabotage West Mids/Staffs boarder
  • stuhawk
    Free Member

No pictures unfortunately. The place in question is the Bridleway behind Prestwood Nursing Home near the A449, heading down towards the canal and Greensforge Lane. I’m sure anyone riding here has been going to or from the Million woods.
    Just as the bridleway crests and starts going downhill towards the canal in past few weeks there have been 2 instances of riders being thrown from their bikes due to a wire being put out across the path at handlebar height. The wire has been taken from the fence that runs along side the bridleway.
    The first instance resulted in the rider being thrown over the bars as his bike came to sudden halt, thankfully he received no major injuries and although shaken managed to pick himself up.
    The second incident unfortunately resulted in far worse injuries I’m afraid and the air ambulance being called upon.
    I have this information due to my dad being on the scene just after the first paramedics arrived, the injured rider who was alone managed to call 999 himself and was then found by another rider and a runner who was an off duty firefighter. The occupier of the house at the bottom of the bridleway also came and offered assistance and I believe took in the riders bike for safe keeping.
    As an utter coincidence I was telling a friend last night who then told me about the first incident. Just thought I’d pass it on and it’s something to watch out for if you’re in the area.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Argh! This makes me so mad. Why is this kind of thing happening? What goes through the mind of those responsible?

GolfChick
    Free Member

I commute home around there alone so cheers for the tip, I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for similar. Dread to think what would happen for the horse riders there as well seeing as its a heavily ‘horsed’ area!

mattsccm
    Free Member

As to why? People often write off kids who just see the silly side of it. Also nutters of course or people with a grudge. Had a pleasant conversation with a woman the other day who was happy with the many cyclists but hated those who rode like loonys and couldn’t stop or upset horses and the elderly who are more sensitive than us. many won’t realise that you can’t always see wire at speed.
    It could be argued of course that at all times you should be able to stop for an in expected situation. Us cyclists are rather selective in our application of that.
    Equally likely. Nutter who wants some pain to be inflicted.

cleetonator

I normally ride this way back from the million, pedalling up the hill towards the nursing home. I’ll keep an eye out in future. It perplexes me how some people have a complete disregard for others safety.

martinhutch

If it’s happened twice, chances are it will happen again. Does local authority/police have a motion sensitive camera they could bung up there?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It could be argued of course that at all times you should be able to stop for an in expected situation

Having been ripped off my bike by a similar incident I can testify to the fact you simply don’t see these things. They are not placed there to be seen.

matts
    Free Member

Indeed. These assholes are trying to kill people by stringing up invisible traps.

Houns

Ride this route too, shall keep ’em peeled.

Saw an air ambulance land over that way about a month ago, thought it was an’oss rider that may have had a fall

sargey

Apparently the guy was unconscious for about 20 mins and has serious back injuries, I was going to go that way last night but went to baggeridge instead. We are getting loads of this around kinver and clent.

Houns

If getting any of this on NT land over Kinver Edge and Kingsford let me know on here, even if it’s cheeky stuff, I’ll Flag it up to our head ranger asap

superstu
    Free Member

Presumably police have been involved given the seriousness? Are they interested?

stuhawk
    Free Member

I’m not sure if the Police were called. I think the initial focus was on casualty care and recovery and without the knowledge of a similar incident a few weeks earlier I’m sure it would have looked upon as a pure accident.

I don’t think it even made the local newspaper.

superstu
    Free Member

Stuhawk, appreciate that and not telling you what to do but I would ensure that it is reported. It will then get a bit of coverage and it may scare whoever is doing it to reflect on what an idiot they’ve been and to never do it again.

singlespeedstu

Cheers for the warning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bridleway Sabotage West Mids/Staffs boarder’ is closed to new replies.