Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bridleway repairs – how to go about it?
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Really good downhill singletrack bridleway near to me (Swansea) part of which has been trashed by mx'ers – deep trench on steep downhill section where bikes spin up. I doubt the LA (Neath / Port Talbot) will be much interested in doing anything, has anyone taken matters into their own hands and just carried out repairs.

Mugboo

If you've got the time and energy then crack on, sounds like you can't make it any worse. Obviously having my backing isn't in anyways legitimate!!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Speak to the ROW officer, they are good in Leeds and I always get a response and help.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Do what you want IMO.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother, they will just come and do the same.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

+1 as MartinGT

worth a try

found this number on NPT website

If you would like further information, please contact the Countryside Officer on:
    Tel: (01639) 686196

angryratio
    Free Member

does it make it more technical? leave it.

mrmo
    Free Member

is it safe on a horse? it is the landowners responsibility so may be able to get some work done on those grounds.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've be doing 'small' things for a couple of years now, but mostly I've been cutting back and strategically improving drainage. Actual digging work takes serious hours and aggregate.

I get the impression you're talking about a fall-line trail – These are notoriously difficult to protect from wear. About the only thing that works is heavy duty stone pitching, which is akin to a drystone wall laid on and in the ground. This involves the removal of tonnes of material and the replacement with tonnes of stone, which is, may I respectfully suggest, rather more than you on your jack jones could manage.

I'd spend my efforts extending the network elsewhere where its more sustainable, or putting in a more sustainable line if I were in your shoes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Personally I'd try and contact the land owner to explain what you are planning to do out of politeness.

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack but what does 'fall line' actually mean?

ahwiles
    Free Member

straight down the hill – cutting the contour lines at 90 degrees – the steepest route.

etc.

everyone except singletrackworld riding gods will be using their brakes down these trails, making them difficult / impossible to protect from erosion, even without motocrossers doing their bit.

Nipper99
    Free Member

the bridleway in question is actually on FC land at Crynant so the FC might be more willing than other landowners to do something. Thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bridleway repairs – how to go about it?’ is closed to new replies.